Author Topic: [IC] GMK Lavender - GB LIVE NOW!!  (Read 139687 times)

Offline nvh2092

Re: [IC] GMK Lavender
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 16:49:52 »
Please consider adding 1.25u Fn key to the base kit since this key is widely used in full size, tkl and many other 65 75 layout keyboards.

the base kit has 1.25 "menu", which operates as Fn.

thanks for the feedback!
The 1.25u Menu in my keyboard open a menu on Chrome, I don't think it represents the Fn. But it may be different on your keyboard, I guess......

Offline KirrahCo

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 10:28:33 »
Non katakana alphas in that pretty color please :)

Offline The Cat Whisperer

• meowdy
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 13:17:16 »
such a smooth shade of lavender! incredible

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 08:38:05 »
Non katakana alphas in that pretty color please :)

Maybe in a round 2 we can offer that!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 14:52:51 »
Please consider adding 1.25u Fn key to the base kit since this key is widely used in full size, tkl and many other 65 75 layout keyboards.

the base kit has 1.25 "menu", which operates as Fn.

thanks for the feedback!

Menu is not a valid replacement for Fn — it doesn't make sense. However, the opposite (Fn as Menu) can somewhat work. If I were you, I'd change the Menu to Fn; here's why:
  • Fn is the more common legend, used on a wide variety of boards and sizes. Menu has limited uses, primarily for “standard”/non-programmable TKL and full-size boards with 6.25u bottom rows. But in these cases, Fn is a viable replacement for it, whereas Menu isn't really a viable replacement for Fn in other cases.
  • Fn is also more popular overall, so it would be the preferred legend choice here.
  • The alternative would be to add a R4 1.25u Fn key alongside the Menu key, but I think there's no need for that since Fn can substitute for Menu, as described above.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 November 2020, 14:55:50 by konstantin »

Offline anahisa

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 18:38:53 »
I love this set so much, the colours are spot on :thumb:

Offline alignace

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 23:02:18 »
I actually like it with the full text mods as it looks much cleaner and allows the novelties to stand out more.

Offline Auracity

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 00:52:43 »
No option for full mod coloured frow? I think base and alt alphas kit would look really weird without it.

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:28:08 »
No option for full mod coloured frow? I think base and alt alphas kit would look really weird without it.

Oh yeah, I didn't even see this, good catch. Maybe the creator could add the F keys that are missing in that color in the alt alphas kit

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 16:07:49 »

Oh yeah, I didn't even see this, good catch. Maybe the creator could add the F keys that are missing in that color in the alt alphas kit

Working on this now, can't believe we didn't catch this before posting the IC!

Offline Amuaisi

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 13:55:01 »
Hello again. I figured it was worth asking:

What is the possibility of adding a white accent enter/return? I ask because, with a white accent enter, those who use the Kana kit would have an option for two accent enter/spacebar colors.

Also, a question: in the Kana kit, the second 1u pipe key, is it also r4?

Once again, great work.

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 20:50:14 »
Hello again. I figured it was worth asking:

What is the possibility of adding a white accent enter/return? I ask because, with a white accent enter, those who use the Kana kit would have an option for two accent enter/spacebar colors.

Also, a question: in the Kana kit, the second 1u pipe key, is it also r4?

Once again, great work.

Hmm, I suppose I never considered having the white as an accent, but that brings up a great point. I will take that into account with the upcoming changes.

For the kana kit, the second 1u pipe is r4 yes. Apologies for the confusing placement of it in the render (r3 row instead of r4).

Thanks for the feedback!!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 21:26:41 »
For the kana kit, the second 1u pipe is r4 yes. Apologies for the confusing placement of it in the render (r3 row instead of r4).

Are you sure about that? The 1u \|ム key is supposed to be R3, as pictured in the render, not R4. This is in order for the ISO/JIS kana compatibility in the kit to be correct (which is the reason why some of the other keys are in that kit to begin with). In other words, the current placement of that key in the render is totally correct.

What you could do, if you want to have pipe on R4 in the katakana kit so it matches its position in the base kit, is change the R3 \|ム, R4 <>ロ keys to R3 #~ム, R4 \|ロ, respectively. But this would require two new molds to be produced, and you would potentially have to communicate it with MiTo (who is the original author of the katakana subs that you're using) to get the vectors sorted out with GMK.

That being said, in my opinion, it's fine the way it is. White accents are an interesting prospect, though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 December 2020, 21:36:41 by konstantin »

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 21:58:03 »

Are you sure about that? The 1u \|ム key is supposed to be R3, as pictured in the render, not R4. This is in order for the ISO/JIS kana compatibility in the kit to be correct (which is the reason why some of the other keys are in that kit to begin with). In other words, the current placement of that key in the render is totally correct.

What you could do, if you want to have pipe on R4 in the katakana kit so it matches its position in the base kit, is change the R3 \|ム, R4 <>ロ keys to R3 #~ム, R4 \|ロ, respectively. But this would require two new molds to be produced, and you would potentially have to communicate it with MiTo (who is the original author of the katakana subs that you're using) to get the vectors sorted out with GMK.

That being said, in my opinion, it's fine the way it is. White accents are an interesting prospect, though.

Mito and I are on great terms since I will be transitioning to the mono katakana molds he helped develop. Thanks for the help Kon!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 22:05:06 »
Mito and I are on great terms since I will be transitioning to the mono katakana molds he helped develop. Thanks for the help Kon!

All the better :) Sure thing! I'm still hoping you'll consider the Menu/Fn swap. Perhaps Meta might be a good middle ground?

Offline brownsugar

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 14:33:34 »
Easy +1 for me! Loving the novelties!

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 17:05:38 »
I see a R3 pipe key and a R4 "<>" key in Alt alphas kit but these are not in base kit. I believe these 2 keys can be good in base since they stand for ISO US. If I were you, I would consider replacing ISO UK in base with ISO US to reduce some keys and potentially reduce some bucks. This change will upset ISO UK users tho  :blank:.

Offline Auracity

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 01 January 2021, 04:01:44 »
Why do the kit renders have a bunch of keys as convex? I'm assuming they aren't actually meant to be convex.

Offline oscarhung1011

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 01 January 2021, 20:04:06 »
definitely buying a set

Offline Lovepig78

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 01 January 2021, 21:50:26 »
100% insta buy if non katakana alphas becomes available

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 10:46:22 »
Why do the kit renders have a bunch of keys as convex? I'm assuming they aren't actually meant to be convex.

Which ones?

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 10:47:52 »
I see a R3 pipe key and a R4 "<>" key in Alt alphas kit but these are not in base kit. I believe these 2 keys can be good in base since they stand for ISO US. If I were you, I would consider replacing ISO UK in base with ISO US to reduce some keys and potentially reduce some bucks. This change will upset ISO UK users tho  :blank:.

Only problem with this is that there are wayyyy more ISO UK users than ISO US users. I would only be satisfying a few people by dissatisfying many unfortunately.

Offline Dunne

• Dunne
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 11:06:33 »
interested please consider text+ icon

+1

I think text + icon would go great with this set.

For me, having non-text novelties with text only would be kind of weird, but that's just my preference.

Definitely agree with this ^

Offline Havattack

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 20:51:25 »
I'm surprised a vintage perfume bottle silhouette was not included in the novelties. That's the first thing i think of when I hear "lavender". That, lotion, then the actual plant/flower.

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 09:02:42 »

+1

For me, having non-text novelties with text only would be kind of weird, but that's just my preference.

Changing to text + icon mods!

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 09:04:47 »
I'm surprised a vintage perfume bottle silhouette was not included in the novelties. That's the first thing i think of when I hear "lavender". That, lotion, then the actual plant/flower.

Yeah it was an idea in the beginning actually, but it became difficult to convey “perfume bottle” in a vector format without it being confused with all sorts of other things. Currently we’re tinkering with throwing out the bow novelty for a lavender in a vase design.

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 09:19:19 »
Consider a little square of lavender soap for the artisan, metal is so 2020

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 09:59:03 »
Consider a little square of lavender soap for the artisan, metal is so 2020

Ooo like a Thok artisan, so it can be like a 3D sculpt?

Offline koolaidpapa

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 20:16:42 »
Very beautiful set! Love the color

Offline KT-afk

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 03:56:20 »
Please consider a SEA vendor like ilumkb, monokei or hexkeyboards. Thank you.

Offline Sakurina

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 09:40:02 »
Like the kit sooooooo much
Can't wait for it!

Offline purplishpeach

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 10:38:51 »
Lovely set, maybe for novelties you could attempt a candle? When I think lavender I think of candles personally. Thank you for all your hard work!

Offline Dotnick

bump - announced vendors, groupbuy date, and collaborations

Offline ArashiNishi

Are the F1-F4 and F9-F12 missing for the mono color set (I didn't seen them on the kits, but are on the render of the evolv)? They will be included on the Rabendra set?

Offline boneandbee

Eeeek! I'm so excited to see what TinyMakesThings does for the collab! Seriously can't wait for this set to run. :)

Offline nvh2092

Can you add a R3 1u pipe key "\|" to the base kit like you did with the alt alphas please? So the base can cover both iso UK and US at the same time, it's just one small key. Also you already have 2 stunning ISO enter novelties so I think this key will do very well with this set.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 March 2021, 12:08:46 by nvh2092 »

Offline Dotnick

Can you add a R3 1u pipe key "\|" to the base kit like you did with the alt alphas please? So the base can cover both iso UK and US at the same time, it's just one small key. Also you already have 2 stunning ISO enter novelties so I think this key will do very well with this set.

Yes this r3 1u pipe key will be added to the base kit.

Are the F1-F4 and F9-F12 missing for the mono color set (I didn't seen them on the kits, but are on the render of the evolv)? They will be included on the Rabendra set?

Yes this was a really simple oversight on my part. It's being added, dw.

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 15:53:47 »
Lovely set, maybe for novelties you could attempt a candle? When I think lavender I think of candles personally. Thank you for all your hard work!

Hi yeah, this is an idea I have really been considering adding because I think a lot of people identify lavender with the scent, and candles would visually be a good nod to that.

Offline Miroticaps

• Discord Server
Can't wait for the GB and love the colourway!

Offline GingGing

Love the subtle but clean color scheme.

Offline Sikonez

Would a future run have a base colored Kata kit? I personally am in love with the alt colored Kata kit, but my SO prefers the base English color.

This set is on the instant buy list for me!

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

will be picking up a base kit for sure, but need to see the novelty changes first. great colors tho!

Offline JPoc

love the muted colors as well

Offline Gnome

Super clean. I like the text mods, Will keep my eye on this.

Offline Que7797

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 21:44:26 »

+1

Giving me no choice, ill have to pick this up.

text + icon is the move!

Offline Dotnick

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 09:57:47 »

+1

Giving me no choice, ill have to pick this up.

text + icon is the move!

Here is a little preview of what the set looks like with text + icon mods for both alpha kits:

266012-0266014-1

Offline Dotnick

Would a future run have a base colored Kata kit? I personally am in love with the alt colored Kata kit, but my SO prefers the base English color.

This set is on the instant buy list for me!

It is very possible I run this in the future in another profile and do something like this!

Offline Dotnick

bump for new discord server!

Offline Dotnick

Re: [IC] GMK Lavender - Salvun + even more collabs announced!!
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 00:07:24 »
bump for collab update

Offline matthewdias

Re: [IC] GMK Lavender - Salvun + even more collabs announced!!
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 02:40:57 »
With spacecables history of cancelling 40s kits, I'm worried that the same will happen here, especially with the large one on display. If possible it would be great to see minimal 40s support moved into the basekit if this were to happen. You only need 3 more keys in base to support most boards.

- R2 1.75 backspace
- R3 1.25 tab
- R3 1.5 enter

Please consider! I love this set and would hate to skip yet another because it dropped 40s. The large kit is great but even if it remained I'm skeptical that it would reach MOQ.

Edit: Also, just now seeing the switch to text+icon mods. I feel icon mods with text bottom row would fit this set a lot better 😬
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 April 2021, 03:03:49 by matthewdias »