Author Topic: [Question] How-To RGB Keycaps?  (Read 3468 times)

Offline SinisterSound

[Question] How-To RGB Keycaps?
« on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 15:41:18 »
Hi, new here so forgive my lack of knowledge.

I've tried to do my own investigations into this, but I'm having a bit of an issue finding information on some specifics.  I'm trying to nail down some information about manufacturing processes for key caps.  I'm curious how (if?) anyone is producing custom RGB compatible key caps (shine-through legends)?  From what I've read, the highest quality is double shot PBT, but they are expensive and the MOQ is so high that the designs don't usually make it to production.  I know dye-sub PBT is the most popular at the moment because of it's relative flexibility and high quality, but those don't support shine-throughs.  Laser etching looks to be possible, but I'm not sure anyone is doing custom jobs like that right now.

Is anybody making custom RGB sets?  Ideally it would be a process that can handle custom legends and custom colors.  Thanks in advance!

Offline klaushouse

Re: [Question] How-To RGB Keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 14:30:33 »
Are you talking about making your own keycaps or ordering double shot ones that have clear legends? You keep talking about RBG, which is confusing because it makes it sound like you want to build the keyboard... See-through legends, clear legends, backlit, try using that terminology instead. Because if it RBG lighting goes through it, so does every other one. You make it seem so confusing.

Your entire thread could've just been broken down to a title: "Anywhere to Buy/Design Custom Backlit Keycaps?"

To which you'd probably have more replies from smarter people than me, because my answer is the only ones I know are the white/black WASD key sets, which are backlit, but no customization.

Offline SinisterSound

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 18:04:14 »
Yes, I am concerned with legends being backlit, or as I mentioned shine through.  Still learning the right terms and such I guess.

I've seen Vortex (black/white).  Supposedly there's one called "Captors" as well, but I don't see them for purchase anywhere.

I know there are cap designers that orchestrate group buys to reduce cost of custom sets, but I don't see any shine through legends outside of a few small modifier or single key sets.  Almost everything is dye sub

My questions are in the general direction of if I'm wanting a custom shine through set:
1) Is this feasible at all?
2) How have others done this in the past?
3) What manufacturers could I seek out to organize a group buy with?

Offline Skinjob

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 16:52:23 »
I'm not saying you won't find others looking, but in general the custom keycap crowd likes under pcb lighting more than under key lighting. I think it's more of a "I want pretty legends" thing than a "I don't like backlighting" thing, but I could be wrong.

Offline SinisterSound

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 09:14:31 »
Maybe I'm just doing a terrible job describing the question here.  But I'm ordering a keyboard with RGB backlights (https://input.club/k-type/). I want keys that will allow the lights to be visible.  The switches are already clear, so no issue there.  It comes with some caps that allow the light through, but they're plain white.  Was hoping to put together a custom set, and considered trying to make it into a group buy.  So I'm trying to figure out if any manufacturers do this sort of process.  I've heard doubleshots work well, but are hard to successfully run a group buy for.  Trying to find out if there's an alternative or if I just need to garner enough supoort for the GB.