Author Topic: Input needed  (Read 1226 times)

Offline neverused

Input needed
« on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 22:56:44 »
I would like some advice. I started out using the super thin and clacky caps on my monoprice gaming keyboard with mx cherry reds. I then purchased a set of hack'd by geeks for my first custom board built with mx blacks. The spherical keys are awesome but I hit them with too much lateral force and don't enjoy typing with them, so I just sold them.

In the meantime I have been using some poker pbt keycaps and really like the feel of them. However I don't have ask the right keys that I need for my custom board and have to supplement with random abs keys.

I still like the look and feel of the spherical profile caps so I have been looking at dsa keycaps. The question is should I look into the dsa dolch set or buy dsa pbt blanks? I can supplement the missing keys in the dolch set with individual blanks so that's fine, but what do you all prefer, the abs or pbt dsa caps? It seems like qc for the custom abs is better.

Or does anyone know of a convenient source for thick blank pbt caps like the poker2s?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: Input needed
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 23:06:45 »
Regarding ABS vs PBT, I don't think you'll notice a big difference in feel for DSA. The biggest difference is going to be the texture, and the ABS caps will shine over time whereas PBT will stay matte.

If you're looking for DSA with lots of layout compatibility, you might also consider Granite. It was a super popular GB so there are likely a lot of spare sets for sale out in the wild. It also looks like a ton of people have requested a re-run on Massdrop, which means it may show up for sale on there in the near future.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 00:40:09 »
I'll also point out that using heavy SA keycaps on light switches, like red, is not a good idea.

The keycaps are too thick and too heavy for the lighter springs.  With stiffer springs, like MX blacks, greens or clears, SA really comes into its own.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline neverused

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 01:05:35 »
I'll also point out that using heavy SA keycaps on light switches, like red, is not a good idea.

The keycaps are too thick and too heavy for the lighter springs.  With stiffer springs, like MX blacks, greens or clears, SA really comes into its own.
I wish my experience matched that. I found that the height of the caps with the heavier spring made it feel like the switch was binding up if I hit it with too much lateral force. It is likely due to my typing style, but I'm looking into dsa as an alternative.