Author Topic: [SOLD] 1960s Invac photoelectric keyboard  (Read 23479 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
[SOLD] 1960s Invac photoelectric keyboard
« on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 04:25:13 »
Here's a pretty cool thing! At $1200 OBO, probably none of us are going to rush over and snap it up, but it seemed cool enough to share.

1960's Mechanical Keyboard Invac Photoelectric mechanical with Nixie Tubes

From brochure (included):

THE INVAC SERIES PK-200 PHOTOELECTRIC KEYBOARD.

This keyboard converts operator alphanumeric input information into coded electrical signals which serve as input to a wide variety of data handling devices. It is ideally suited for applications such a data display consoles, computer programming, input to tape punches in paper tape preparation and as an inquiry device for data processing and information retrieval systems.

Whoa, imagine that—a keyboard you can connect to a computer!  :?)

From seller's description:

[This is] the only 1960's keyboard I've been able to acquire.  The 1970's are near impossible but 1960's simply don't exist.  They're all in museums or were recycled long ago.  Hand routed PCBs, Nixie Tubes and mechanical wizardry that always reminded me of a German enigma machine.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 February 2019, 21:00:05 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: 1960s Invac photoelectric keyboard!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 05:37:57 »
Very nice!  The price has gone up to $1500 though, plus $177 to ship it here.  At least I've seen the pictures.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 08:03:13 »
That's an awesome display piece, esp if you can those nixie tubes to do something.

And while it's not the most modern connector, it is an recognizable one, wonder if it could actually be made to do something without disturbing the innards at all.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline JP

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 15:00:06 »
That's an awesome display piece, esp if you can those nixie tubes to do something.

And while it's not the most modern connector, it is an recognizable one, wonder if it could actually be made to do something without disturbing the innards at all.

And it sold - $1500  :confused:
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 15:51:48 »
I'll bet it went to a good home, maybe we'll see it on here or DT in the not too distant future with the nixies lit up.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: [SOLD] 1960s Invac photoelectric keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 21:00:38 »
Huh, wonder why they raised the price after they listed it? Guess they got some feedback from someone suggesting they weren't asking enough.

Anyway, somebody's happy!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg