Author Topic: Model M mod - I'm 60% of the M I used to be 8.14.2013  (Read 20241 times)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: Model M mod - I'm 60% of the M I used to be 8.14.2013
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 21:58:18 »
Another update, check the OP
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 22:44:19 »
Lookin' good!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 22:45:06 »
Lookin' good!

Yup, just need a bit of paint and it should be looking really good!

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 22:48:28 »
Lookin' good!

Yup, just need a bit of paint and it should be looking really good!

It looks like something is missing, which I know it is, that is the point of the whole thing.

But it still looks odd.  Kile a car you have only ever seen 4 door version, suddenly you see 2 door version.

Odd in a nice way :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 02:46:08 »
I wish I had a better understanding of this stuff so I could make cool things like this too. Would love to have a ghetto spacesaver M  :p

Offline anowt

• "I want you to buckle my spring" ♪♪~
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 20:30:09 »
You're telling me you cut the numpad off the membrane and it is still functional? I want to do this!
Front Line: IBM Model M SSK
Tactical Team: QFR TKL (MX Blue)
Recon: KUL ES-87 (MX Red)
Special Operations: RF 87U 55g

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 21:39:49 »
You're telling me you cut the numpad off the membrane and it is still functional? I want to do this!

You have to keep the membrane intact and fold it over itself to work without messing with any of the wiring

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 03:44:06 »
I'm busy 60% modding my 122 key terminal Model M and have ordered some of this copper tape with conductive adhesive to see how well it works: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1128

Hopefully I'll be able to solder wires to it and apply it directly to the membrane traces so I can hook up my Teensy. If it proves to not conduct well enough I'll probably fold over the ends to get better contact.

I've already cut up my membranes after drawing diagrams of the traces. I left extensions on them where the row and columns lines go which stick out past the edges of the cut plates and allow me to hook up crocodile clips or whatever for testing. Getting scancodes from my Teensy for all the ones I've tested so far, so it's looking good. I also put hammer and spring assemblies into all the barrels that have spots on the membrane so I can make them all generate scancodes and can support all kinds of layouts :)

Still deciding how to cut the case... I'm considering leaving the double F key row area for possibly adding some interesting gadgets to the board. But I do love the idea of making it really small, too...  :-\

I may end up making a new case for it from acrylic. Ho hum.. decisions, decisions.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline vorn

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 03:49:10 »
Oobly, I'd love to see how that turns out! I hope you're documenting your process  :p

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 08:13:12 »
Sounds like Hasu's Happy Buckling Keyboard : http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=29483.0
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.