Author Topic: [GB] 96KEE - 96-key Alu Kit (production finished, shipping from factory soon)  (Read 86657 times)

Offline KaosJ

Re: [GB] 96KEE - 96-key Alu Kit (production finished, shipping from factory soon)
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 13:04:22 »
Yeah, I've got called out on Reddit about that. So why is it called PCB mount then? Whats the difference to plate mount? I was looking for youtube videos, and the only thing I found about PCB vs Plate mounted are the feet that they clipped.

So I think I should watch the 20-30 min videos then.

How did you secure the plates when you only have a teeny weeny screws? or you used other screws?

btw, I already have the 99 switches on the PCB, didn't solder them yet as I have doubts about my capabilities.

Remove them from the pcb, put the plate on the pcb and secure some switches ON THE PLATE (switch into plate and later into pcb).   

Basically your switches will keep the plate with the pcb togheter, since the switch is soldered in the pcb and clipped on the plate. 

That's it. 

Offline hehe13

Re: [GB] 96KEE - 96-key Alu Kit (production finished, shipping from factory soon)
« Reply #251 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 14:07:28 »
got it! thank you very much..

Offline Poohammer

« Reply #252 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 19:41:39 »

Nice, so you're up and running then? Way to go!

Yes I am! Playing around with bootmapper as in all previous steps worked.  A little desoldering here and there I was a-ok! I’ll attached some pics

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #253 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 20:28:08 »
Just wanted to say thanks to Mehkee for making this group-buy possible.  It's a helluva deck for the price.  Beautiful kit, and a lot of fun to tinker with.  Everything was put together really well, for the most part.

Finished work on customizing the 96KEE kit to make it more my own.   ;)

185504-0
185506-1

I couldn't leave well enough alone....  I needed to get the deck prepped for GMK Laser caps!  I had asked DJ after the GB if he'd be okay with changing my gunmetal grey kit to a silver one as I planned on customizing it a bit, and he graciously helped me out.  It's appreciated!

Took care of making the switchplate and the feet a nice hot pink, as well as powdercoating the aluminum frame a lovely textured purple that just about matches the purple that MiTo decided to use for GMK Laser.  Being a graphic designer myself, I had to do some 'digital digging' into the design a bit to figure out the rough PMS color which is actually present in the renders since he used a Pantone plugin in his render engine (according to his posts).  The color's pretty close, so I'm happy. 

185508-2
185510-3

Began prepping the PCB... 

185512-4

I ran into a bit of a snag, though.  The acrylic inserts for the frame had the ends broken off.  Probably just an oversight.  No big deal.

185514-5

I considered asking DJ if he could send me replacements, but it would have taken too long to get it all situated as well as being one more thing to bug him about, so I just went ahead and reverse-engineered it a bit and cut duplicates of them.  ;) 

185516-6
185518-7

I also improved them a bit as the originals didn't go all the way to the ends of the channels on the aluminum frame, so I made them fit a bit better.  Unfortunately the only frosted acrylic I had on hand was 6mm thick so I had to use plain ole clear for 2mm acrylic.  Oh well.

185520-8
185522-9

Installed!

185524-10

I decided on 67g Zealios to drop on to the deck along with white 1.8mm LEDs.  Everything soldered up, tested, and working perfectly! 

185526-11

Now to settle in for the long wait.....

185528-12

Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #254 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 20:38:22 »
Just wanted to say thanks to Mehkee for making this group-buy possible.  It's a helluva deck for the price.  Beautiful kit, and a lot of fun to tinker with.  Everything was put together really well, for the most part.

Finished work on customizing the 96KEE kit to make it more my own.   ;)

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I couldn't leave well enough alone....  I needed to get the deck prepped for GMK Laser caps!  I had asked DJ after the GB if he'd be okay with changing my gunmetal grey kit to a silver one as I planned on customizing it a bit, and he graciously helped me out.  It's appreciated!

Took care of making the switchplate and the feet a nice hot pink, as well as powdercoating the aluminum frame a lovely textured purple that just about matches the purple that MiTo decided to use for GMK Laser.  Being a graphic designer myself, I had to do some 'digital digging' into the design a bit to figure out the rough PMS color which is actually present in the renders since he used a Pantone plugin in his render engine (according to his posts).  The color's pretty close, so I'm happy. 

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Began prepping the PCB... 

(Attachment Link)

I ran into a bit of a snag, though.  The acrylic inserts for the frame had the ends broken off.  Probably just an oversight.  No big deal.

(Attachment Link)

I considered asking DJ if he could send me replacements, but it would have taken too long to get it all situated as well as being one more thing to bug him about, so I just went ahead and reverse-engineered it a bit and cut duplicates of them.  ;) 

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I also improved them a bit as the originals didn't go all the way to the ends of the channels on the aluminum frame, so I made them fit a bit better.  Unfortunately the only frosted acrylic I had on hand was 6mm thick so I had to use plain ole clear for 2mm acrylic.  Oh well.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Installed!

(Attachment Link)

I decided on 67g Zealios to drop on to the deck along with white 1.8mm LEDs.  Everything soldered up, tested, and working perfectly! 

(Attachment Link)

Now to settle in for the long wait.....

(Attachment Link)

damn, you put a lot of effort into that post, as well as that board

well done
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #255 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 20:46:46 »
Thanks, Puddsy!  Bah...  that's nothing though, haha.  My personal casemod project logs tend to be dozens of pages in length with over 200+ photos sometimes.  Just depends on what it is!  I'm an old-school modder so I tend to keep my 'project log kung fu' prominent and in good shape.  I believe in documenting everything.  In the social media age, the kids are losing that ability, and it's a shame. 

But enough soap-boxing.  Hoping for some more 96KEE kits up and running and some pretty photos to follow!
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #256 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 20:50:57 »
Thanks, Puddsy!  Bah...  that's nothing though, haha.  My personal casemod project logs tend to be dozens of pages in length with over 200+ photos sometimes.  Just depends on what it is!  I'm an old-school modder so I tend to keep my 'project log kung fu' prominent and in good shape.  I believe in documenting everything.  In the social media age, the kids are losing that ability, and it's a shame. 

But enough soap-boxing.  Hoping for some more 96KEE kits up and running and some pretty photos to follow!

sounds like a lot of work

definitely need to work on my documenting, it's one of the last things i need to do to reach true input nirvana
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Woovie

« Reply #257 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 16:33:46 »
I might make some drawings of the acrylic pieces in SVG or some other format so people could get custom acrylic cuts. The frosted is cool but I'd love to get some sort of black/tinted acrylic in there.

Offline Woovie

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 14:28:52 »
I would like to know what type of screws I should purchase for this board. The screws that came with it I find to be both too short and non-magnetic, so I'd like to purchase better ones. Thanks.

Offline PttrnRcgntn

« Reply #259 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 17:27:01 »
Need an honest opinion from anyone who's still reading this thread.

Missed this GB and looking to pick up one of the extras if they go on sale.  This would be my first build.
Came across this board in development from YMDK: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/7ojqy0/ic_96_keyboard_aluacrbrass_from_ymdk/?st=JC6U2VX2&sh=d29dc6fe

Would love to know your experiences so far building this guy and if you would have possibly opted for this optioning presented with both.

Thanks!

Offline BearonicMan

« Reply #260 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 09:14:38 »
Need an honest opinion from anyone who's still reading this thread.

Missed this GB and looking to pick up one of the extras if they go on sale.  This would be my first build.
Came across this board in development from YMDK: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/7ojqy0/ic_96_keyboard_aluacrbrass_from_ymdk/?st=JC6U2VX2&sh=d29dc6fe

Would love to know your experiences so far building this guy and if you would have possibly opted for this optioning presented with both.

Thanks!

This is my second 96 build and I think all builds\projects have their own issues. If you're interested in building your own board, I think either of these kits should do you well.

P.S. I'm probably going to get that ymdk board too because it looks neat.

Offline PttrnRcgntn

« Reply #261 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 17:36:54 »
Thanks! Makes sense.  Just wanted to kind of hear that it wasn't some crazy finicky experience.

This is my second 96 build and I think all builds\projects have their own issues. If you're interested in building your own board, I think either of these kits should do you well.

P.S. I'm probably going to get that ymdk board too because it looks neat.

Offline Data

« Reply #262 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 10:16:58 »
In for one of these.  Thanks for offering the extras.

Edit: SNAP... did I get my order in before they ran out?  That was fast. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 January 2018, 12:10:15 by Data »

Offline ajaxsoap

« Reply #263 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 09:04:21 »
Does anyone of you know how to reset the firmware to default? I've tried to update the firmware to the latest version 1.4.0 here: https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases, but after I've uploaded it, the underglow LEDs are not accessible and I'm missing some keys like pad " - ", left "alt" and "win" and even backspace.

Offline Potatomonkey

• Tsangan best row
« Reply #264 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 01:36:46 »
Does anyone have a pic of what the keyboard matrix looks like? Also does anyone know if I can run qmk on this?

Offline aplus01

« Reply #265 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 08:52:03 »
Does anyone have a pic of what the keyboard matrix looks like? Also does anyone know if I can run qmk on this?

I'd like to do this as well. How do you go about figuring out what the matrix looks like?

Offline aplus01

« Reply #266 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 08:54:26 »
Thanks! Makes sense.  Just wanted to kind of hear that it wasn't some crazy finicky experience.

Wasn't for me, I did have some concern about flashing the firmware after some people had problems. But in the end it was a pretty smooth build. I'd definitely recommend it.

Offline ajaxsoap

« Reply #267 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 01:01:21 »

Nice, so you're up and running then? Way to go!

Yes I am! Playing around with bootmapper as in all previous steps worked.  A little desoldering here and there I was a-ok! I’ll attached some pics

If you don't mind please screenshot your firmware version? You can see it in "Options" then hit "Connect" button, on the upper right hand you see the version, please post it in here so that I can download the default version, then last request, please save your layout as .hex and you can share it here, for us to download it. Thanks much!

Offline Data

« Reply #268 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 14:44:16 »
Is there an easy way to tell if my order made it in the first round of extras or not?  I guess it doesn't really matter but I'm curious.  Sorry for the noob question.

Offline ajaxsoap

« Reply #269 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 06:18:53 »
Does anyone of you know how to reset the firmware to default? I've tried to update the firmware to the latest version 1.4.0 here: https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases, but after I've uploaded it, the underglow LEDs are not accessible and I'm missing some keys like pad " - ", left "alt" and "win" and even backspace.

For those of you who experienced the same fate as mine after upgrading to 1.4.0. I've managed to access the LED underglow and i think restore the default firmware by rolling back to version 1.3.2, you have to be in bootloader mode to do this, to load in bootloader mode, press "LCrtl" before inserting the usb cable, while holding the "LCrtl" insert the USB cable, then the in-switch LED will start to blink fast, that's the sign that you're on bootloader mode, while on bootloader mode, on Bootmapper, go to "Options" tab, then hit "Firm up" button, locate the "ps2avrGB_NKRO.hex" from the folder "ps2avrGB_firmware_V1.3.2_170531" that you've extracted from "ps2avrGB_firmware_V1.3.2_170531.zip" to load it, voila! The original keymapping is restored, my missing keys appear again and i can access the LED underglow.

Offline sacklunch

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 11:49:14 »
Anyone have any pics of the blue or red case? I can't seem to find any online.

thanks!

Offline smt

• I like keyboards
    • smt.io
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 08:58:05 »
Anyone have any pics of the blue or red case? I can't seem to find any online.

Here's mine. Apologies for the IG link. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdu5oepj_vZ/
HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | Clueboards | MOD-M Custom | MiniVan | Preonic | Planck | Let's Split | Anne Pro | WASD CODE TKL

Offline upintheclouds

« Reply #272 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 22:58:32 »
Has anyone tried a 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25 layout for the bottom row? Very curious if this is possible.

Offline aplus01

« Reply #273 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 23:17:26 »
Has anyone gotten QMK going on one of these yet?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #274 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 01:57:55 »

do you know what controller it uses? i can harass some people if it's a 32u4

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #275 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 09:55:59 »

All BootMapper boards are 32a.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #276 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 12:58:47 »

well then no QMK for you

Offline aplus01

« Reply #277 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 15:02:43 »

well then no QMK for you

32a controllers aren't programmable? Or just aren't compatible with QMK?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #278 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 15:32:51 »

well then no QMK for you

32a controllers aren't programmable? Or just aren't compatible with QMK?

the latter

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #279 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 19:34:09 »

well then no QMK for you

That's not necessairly true anymore. Someone adapted V-USB into QMK and there are a few boards that are supported, to some degree. I think the RGB doesn't work 100%.

Offline aplus01

« Reply #280 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 11:49:21 »
Since you guys seem to know a bit about qmk and controllers maybe you can answer this question for me. Where can I get help flashing a board with a atmega32a controller? avrfreaks.net? I wasn't sure where to post my question and people in the threads I read didn't seen particularly inclined to help newbies. Lots of posts with complaints about people not reading the wikis.

I have an ALU84 that has a 32a controller which is unresponsive. I have a programmer (USBASP) but I didn't see a DFU bootloader on microchip.com for the atmega32a controller so not sure what to do. Any pointers would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 February 2018, 22:25:10 by aplus01 »

Offline Data

« Reply #281 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 09:14:09 »
Since you guys seem to know a bit about qmk and controllers maybe you can answer this question for me. Where can I get help flashing a board with a atmega32a controller? avrfreaks.net? I wasn't sure where to post my question and people in the threads I read didn't seen particularly inclined to help newbies. Lots of posts with complaints about people not reading the wikis.

I have an ALU84 that has a 32a controller which is unresponsive. I have a programmer (USBASP) but I didn't see a DFU bootloader on microchip.com for the atmega32a controller so not sure what to do. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Have you tried Flip?  What are you trying to flash to it?

Offline aplus01

Have you tried Flip?  What are you trying to flash to it?

I haven't tried FLIP. My end game is to get QMK on my ALU84 and on my 96KEE.

To revive my ALU84 I was trying to follow the steps this person listed here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/66sji0/bricked_tada68_and_how_i_fixed_it_a_novices_tale/

I couldn't find a bootloader on microchip.com for the atmega32a but I did just find this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Using-Atmega32-with-Arduino-IDE/

No idea if this would maybe be a viable way to get a board again.

Offline sacklunch

Can anybody tell me the basic steps to putting this board together? E.g. do switches go over plate before soldering, stabs are put on at what step? I'm waiting for my kit to get powdercoated and will be putting it together soon, but this only the second board I have put together.

thanks!

Offline Woovie

For anyone like me who wanted to know the screw size: M2, 5mm depth, not that all of my screw holes were fully drilled, but the ones that are, this works great. Also you can get screws that are magnetic, makes building it easier.

Offline aplus01

Can anybody tell me the basic steps to putting this board together? E.g. do switches go over plate before soldering, stabs are put on at what step? I'm waiting for my kit to get powdercoated and will be putting it together soon, but this only the second board I have put together.

thanks!

I could try typing out what to do, but its probably easier and more entertaining to watch a youtube video outlining the process.

This video has the basics but isn't a build guide for this board, but the process is basically the same.

Offline aplus01

For anyone like me who wanted to know the screw size: M2, 5mm depth, not that all of my screw holes were fully drilled, but the ones that are, this works great. Also you can get screws that are magnetic, makes building it easier.
Thanks, for the info. I would definitely like to upgrade to magnetic screws. Where did you source yours?

Offline sacklunch

Thanks, for the info. I would definitely like to upgrade to magnetic screws. Where did you source yours?

Cool, thanks!
So is this board plate or pcb mounted switches?

Offline Data

All Cherry MX PCBs support plate-mount switches unless there's something unique about the board that prevents the use of a plate.  Nothing like that exists as far as I'm aware.  There are some boards that come with "half plates" that would make using all plate-mount switches difficult, but again, that's an issue with the plate and not the PCB.

This PCB has the holes for PCB-mount switches.  So the answer is: both.

Offline sacklunch

All Cherry MX PCBs support plate-mount switches unless there's something unique about the board that prevents the use of a plate.  Nothing like that exists as far as I'm aware.  There are some boards that come with "half plates" that would make using all plate-mount switches difficult, but again, that's an issue with the plate and not the PCB.

Good to know, thanks! So what do you/others recommend when building this board? Going with pcb-mount?

Offline aplus01

Good to know, thanks! So what do you/others recommend when building this board? Going with pcb-mount?

I'd use PCB mount if you can get them. Will help keep switches in the right place while you're soldering. Especially on the bottom row where the plate has support for so many different layouts.

Offline Woovie

Laptop repair kit on Amazon. It's not -too- hard to find them. Once I get my store going, I plan to specialize in small fasteners.

Offline Data

Unlike the nightmare I'm having with my EXENT, this board went together easily and fired up with a standard layout right out of the box.  Great job, Mehkee!

I'm missing a plate screw.  Are those the M2 x 5mm mentioned a few posts up?

I need to adjust a few key assignments.  Looking for keymap software now...

Edit: Bootmapper with the latest ps2avrGB 1.40 firmware works great.  I'm all set. :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2018, 09:55:57 by Data »

Offline aplus01

Is that Danger Zone you have on your board? Looking good! I love the look of SA sets, but hate typing on them.  :)

Has anyone made any headway into getting QMK running on a 96kee?

Offline Data

Yup, it's Danger Zone on 65g Zilents and Zeal's clear, screw-in stabilizers.

They're my new favorite switch, hands down.  Amazing.

Offline sacklunch

192213-0

Got mine all setup! Everything seems to be working great after the firmware update. I got mine powdercoated at a local shop; using GMK retro w/ 9009 addons and box whites.

Offline aplus01

(Attachment Link)

Got mine all setup! Everything seems to be working great after the firmware update. I got mine powdercoated at a local shop; using GMK retro w/ 9009 addons and box whites.

That looks dope af. Really like that white case. How durable is powder coating? Does it chip/flake?

Offline Max_P0

Man I discovered the community so late... I wish I was part of the GB/project !!!

Offline sacklunch

Powdercoating is as tough as it gets; you would have to take sandpaper to the case and work hard to get it to scratch.

For those of you wanting something similar: there are in stock blue and red kits for sale right now. I bought a blue kit, knowing that I would have it powdercoated. For those wanting the case in a cool(er) color, I suggest you do what I did. Even with the cost of powdercoating (around 100 bucks) you will spend around what most 96 key kits cost, but you will have a much nicer looking case that will look nice for decades, plus you don't have to wait around for all the other GB to get around to shipping 6 months to a year after you buy. I'm honestly considering buying another one of these and having it coated just for the hell of it. Well, I would...but I already ordered the CA66 and am waiting on a custom wood 96 key!

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
Man I discovered the community so late... I wish I was part of the GB/project !!!

Plenty of other budget 96 key GBs on Taobao. Find a proxy and you should be able to get yours for cheap.
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"