Author Topic: Board Games Thread  (Read 28247 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Re: Board Games Thread
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 06:17:24 »
Has anyone played Dune Imperium? I’ve been meaning to try it out, but haven’t had the chance just yet.

I’m really hoping it lives up to its source material
I haven't played it but it looks similar to Terraforming Mars aswell as 7 wonders which I have played and both are very fun although need a few play throughs to really get the hang of it. If you do get it please give us a review! :)

I bought Terraforming Mars last year for Christmas for my family - I played them youtube tutorial - that was it. They dont want to play it with me. Game is lying on tv table since December! :(
It is so beautifully made game and sounds interesting, but I dont have anyone I could play it with.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 07:49:18 »
Has anyone played Dune Imperium? I’ve been meaning to try it out, but haven’t had the chance just yet.

I haven't played it but it looks similar to Terraforming Mars aswell as 7 wonders which I have played and both are very fun although need a few play throughs to really get the hang of it. If you do get it please give us a review! :)

I bought Terraforming Mars last year for Christmas for my family - I played them youtube tutorial - that was it. They dont want to play it with me. Game is lying on tv table since December! :(
It is so beautifully made game and sounds interesting, but I dont have anyone I could play it with.
You can actually play it solo, although that is not maybe not too exciting ;) I also looked up the youtube tutorials first, looks really complicated but really isnt if they have played settlers of catan or similar before
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 16:28:46 »

You can actually play it solo, although that is not maybe not too exciting ;) I also looked up the youtube tutorials first, looks really complicated but really isnt if they have played settlers of catan or similar before

We play Catan and Stone Age all the time. We also have Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride. I hope I get them to play Terraforming Mars this year:)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 20:09:00 »
Finally got a chance to play Dune!

Some thoughts:

• If you read the book, you wont really have an advantage but the flavor text / mechanics will make much more sense. It's generally such a flavor win; one of the few games I've played that stays true to the source material and embed that flavor into actual mechanics
  • Barter barter bater. Though you don't have to, you are completely within your rights to make deals / arrangements. It makes the game far more fun (IMO). It can also be very lucrative.
  • Pay attention to your faction. Each faction has a different play style, and you'll go much further if you lean into it.
  • It can move pretty slow when you're new. Be warned
  • You're going to have to play a few times to get it right. First play through, you'll pretty much be just getting used to the mechanics
  • Combat is really simple when you have some information about your opponent, but frustratingly difficult if they have a grip full of unknown cards.
  • Information is everything, regardless of faction. The information trade is lucrative, and you'll go further when you have your ear to the ground. Observe what folks are buying/playing/wasting each turn. "Future sight" is overpowered when used correctly.
  • Learn the win cons. This seems obvious but each faction has their own win con. It's pretty easy to end in a stalemate when you don't have a gameplan. Or maybe a stalemate is your win con...  ;D
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 20:15:45 »
Are there single player board games?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 08:14:06 »
Got two new BG's for my birthday, Root and Everdell, will write an update when I've played through them a couple of times :D
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 10:52:13 »
Any of you old-timers remember Cosmic Encounter? I played it in the late-1970s-early-1980s and really enjoyed it.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline s8erdude

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 10:59:43 »
Been playing Guillotine with the family recently, honestly a great game :thumb: :thumb:

Offline bishopj7

• Clack-Attack
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 23 June 2022, 19:50:39 »
Going got come in and ask if anyone in here is familiar with Power Rangers: Heroes of the Grid?

I haven't gotten to play since COVID - which sucks. Sitting on PR In Space and PR Zeo expansions without a chance to play them (much less have it *all* painted)

I need to brush the dust off my figures and finish with paint haha.