Author Topic: I bought a Keycool 84 (in off-white)  (Read 9688 times)

Offline nikuls

I bought a Keycool 84 (in off-white)
« on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 14:48:28 »
I just bought a Keycool 84 from Qtan. AMA.
I noticed there were already photos up but I thought hey, the more the merrier.

Edited: Title changed from "Beige". Apparently I call everything that isn't brilliant white beige.

I can take more photos as per request, or do a typing video or whatever.

P.S. Hi, Geekhack. I'm new.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 August 2012, 17:08:25 by nikuls »

Offline therecorder

Re: I bought a Keycool 84 (in beige)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 15:07:43 »
Why do you say that it is "beige".  They're "white"!  I have 3 "whites".

Offline nikuls

Re: I bought a Keycool 84 (in beige)
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 17:06:58 »
I guess "off-white" is more accurate. I keep calling it beige because my old dome keyboard was beige and this is its replacement ; _ ;

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: I bought a Keycool 84 (in off-white)
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 19:29:17 »
Looks really nice.  Way nicer than the Race yet somehow much cheaper...  Looks very close to the Noppoo.  Is the plate white, too?

Offline Grimey

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 20:43:19 »
I would be curious to see the space bar stabilizer spacing if you could take a photo without the spacebar and the bottom of the spacebar.
Erlang your pants off

Offline aeta

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 20:45:40 »
Hi-five, I've got one too :D. Have you thought of removing the case? I wonder how, since it doesnt have screws on the bottom
Keycool 84, IBM Model M SSK, Noppoo Choc Pro
http://imgur.com/a/z2x2p#0

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 20:47:12 »
Are those keys backlit? I just got mine in black and they are. I kind of like the look of the white more though. Thanks.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 21:11:10 »
Hi-five, I've got one too :D. Have you thought of removing the case? I wonder how, since it doesnt have screws on the bottom

According to this, it is glued shut.

Offline nikuls

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 12:53:36 »
Looks really nice.  Way nicer than the Race yet somehow much cheaper...  Looks very close to the Noppoo.  Is the plate white, too?

The plate is black!
I also prefered the look if this over the Race, I think it was just the generala dimensions and build – mostly the thick borders. Yeah it's very very close to the noppoo, but with a detachable USB and it works on a Mac! Only thing is the keycaps are ABS.

Are those keys backlit? I just got mine in black and they are. I kind of like the look of the white more though. Thanks.

Nope! Only the keys with clear plastic slits are backlit (CapsLock, F12, PrtSc, Pause)

Offline nikuls

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 13:10:40 »
I would be curious to see the space bar stabilizer spacing if you could take a photo without the spacebar and the bottom of the spacebar.

I hope you can see the detail in this photo – due to the black plate.

Offline nikuls

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 13:16:15 »

I'm loving your keyboards and your desk!!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 13:30:39 »
Liking the keyboard more and more, especially for the price. And I disagree with the cons listed by the reviewer on DT; just personal preference on usage of keys/fns I guess.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 16:16:05 »
I already have a Key Cool 87, but this would be my go-to board if I were looking for something even smaller. It's good to see this board getting some love.
Nice pictures btw.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 16:02:44 »
I just got a KC84 White from the same vendor. The keycap legends on mine look fainter and more diffuse than the ones showing in your pics. Perhaps your photography brought out the contrast better, or maybe there is a difference in production a year or so apart.

Offline Sosd

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 19:38:40 »
Wow that looks really good.

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 19:44:29 »
Looking at that sweet off-white color makes me almost whish I had bought the keykool instead of the noppoo.
But then I type on this keyboard and I fall in love again ^^
Ducky Mini w/ white LEDs [Browns]

WTB SLUSHY RED CC/BROBOT!!
Got 3D and Hack Orange for trade, both MX.

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:50:42 »
Nice pics.  :)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:27:28 »
Where can you get replacement spacebars for the Keycool 84? Preferably without the KC logo printed on the front.

I actually want the spacebars for my Leopold FC660M. I have not been able to find Leopold spacebars anywhere -- they are a standard length, but they have a non-standard stem spacing. However, tonight I discovered that the Keycool 84 spacebar fits the Leopold. So now I am in search of KC84 spacebars so that I can use them on the Leopold. If I cannot find plain ones without the logo, perhaps it can be bleached or sanded off.

Thanks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 04:00:58 »
Off-white?  Heh, my KeyCool 87 is whiter than white :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ