Author Topic: Industrial Model Ms with white-on-black black M13 keys  (Read 5013 times)

Offline TacticalCoder

Industrial Model Ms with white-on-black black M13 keys
« on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 17:27:56 »
Since I joined GeekHack (nearly three years ago) and since the first time I saw that "combo", I wanted an Industrial Model M with "white-on-black" black M13 keys.

So first the quest started to get and industrial M and I ended up scoring one in a european group buy where we bought a collector's entire collection (I think it was a group buy on Deskthority but it may have been here: don't remember)... Meanwhile I managed to buy NOS industrial shells (full-sized not mini) from Unicomp.

When I got my industrial M I put on a "blank black" keycaps set from Unicomp and then started looking for a nice black M13... I ended up buying one from Tennobanzai here a few weeks ago and Tennobanzai has been very kind to accept to ship it to Europe !

So here it is, been waiting a lloonng time for that one: (I also have Unicomp RGB keycaps and GeekHack keycaps but for the first picture I did put all the M13 keys on it). The M is an industrial M (sold by clickykeyboards to the collector I bought it from) with the "A-B quality / Manufactured by IBM Corporation" logo:

46585-0

Now even though I'm working on a HHKB and even though I'm using my mouse as a leftie, I'd still like one day to have the same, but with the industrial mini. The first industrial mini I saw in this configuration was Ripster's industrial mini (I think he called it the "G.I. Joe" mini)

Here's a pic from the one Tsangan owns:

Big thanks to Tennobanzai,

P.S: I know that these keycaps tend to wear off quickly, which is why I don't plan to use it very often at all (I'm a traitor anyway: I switched to Topre)
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 December 2013, 17:32:23 by TacticalCoder »
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Tennobanzai

Re: Industrial Model Ms with white-on-black black M13 keys
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 01:07:01 »
I'm glad you like it! Looks very good!

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 02:09:30 »
I love it !  :)

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 06:37:37 »
The industrial color is awesome. good luck on your hunt for the industrial ssk.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 10:45:57 »
Thanks all...

By the way I did put the "rest" of the black M13 to good use too: I did put Unicomp "blank black" keys on it so now it's all black (I had to cut the 'G' and 'H' keycaps to let the trackpoing pass through) and it's hooked to my MacMini in the living room (the MacMini is driving the TV and the stereo).

I know finding a real SSK is going to be hard: but only the top shell (I know some circulated) would be OK for me : )

I reminds be a bit of a Commodore 64 in that config  8)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Xandra

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 05:28:24 »
I think they should if you consider it's a steal or a very nice item. Anyway, I don't intend to be a police on this thread, just had the idea and thought it was cool.

But I consider that if a you win a buy it now with like 80 available items, it's nothing special, but if you are proud of it and want to post it why not?

It's for the fun of it in the end, and it's more fun to read than "Clack Wars : The revenge of the clones"
We provide guarantee to pass C4060-155 latest dumps gmat with online exam training ACCA itil and University of Toronto

Offline silas1128

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 10:39:21 »
I'm in the same boat with the industrial grey and black keycaps. I loved that look the second I saw it. But I'm taking mine a step farther. I just recently scored my Model M from goodwill and had an M13 I snagged on ebay a while back. So here's the plan. I will be tearing down the model M, clean, bolt mod, and paint the case to match the industrial grey. I will be moving the black badge and LED indicator label over as well. Then I will be taking all the lighter/whiter Model M keys and dying them blue (so all the letter keys, some of the function keys, the number pad numbers, etc). I will use all the blue dyed keys and throw on the M13 keys to fill in everything else (enter, shift, Ctrl, etc).

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 13:40:37 »
holy necro batman
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 23:10:23 »
I think they should if you consider it's a steal or a very nice item. Anyway, I don't intend to be a police on this thread, just had the idea and thought it was cool.

But I consider that if a you win a buy it now with like 80 available items, it's nothing special, but if you are proud of it and want to post it why not?

It's for the fun of it in the end, and it's more fun to read than "Clack Wars : The revenge of the clones"

Welcome to Geekhack!

I'm curious - how did you find this very old thread?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ