Author Topic: IBM 6019284 "Kishsaver" Keyboard Controller Swap Build Log - Video and Pics  (Read 10139 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I finished swapping in the xwhatsit capsense Model F controller in my IBM 6019284. I’m currently typing on this board and I thought I’d share a little build log. Been typing on it for about a week now.

P8090373 by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

P8090374 by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

Flip the board over, and unscrew

P8110376 by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

P8110380 by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

P8120381 by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

De-solder the original controller from the ribbon cable carefully. Then patch the ribbon cable with electrical tape. Align the pins so that you can fit the new controller on. Note that the screenprinted words aren’t visible.

P8120384 by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

P8120389 by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

Solder in new controller then plug in cable and route it.

P8120391 by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

Test the board with xwhatsit’s app. Program the layers to your liking using the app. It's really easy to use, great for people who aren't code savvy like myself :).

P8120396A by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

P8120399A by CaptainBadass, on Flickr

Close the board back up and enjoy :D. Here’s a typing test of me enjoying.

My working layout. Top picture is the “base” layer with the letters in the normal areas. Only the buttons that aren’t the same as the ANSI 1.5x layout are shown. The bottom picture is my layer 1. I have a second layer but it’s not working. xwhatsit suggested I might have to use AHK to get it to work but I haven’t tried it yet. Pictures taken from this thread.

More information and directions can be found in these links:
xwhatsit’s Grand Unified IBM Capsense Controller
Capsense Controller GB Thread
xwhatsit’s site for the programming and directions

I should mention that xwhatsit's directions are great and make this process very painless.

Edit: I can't believe I had the title of this thread mislabeled. The part number is 6019284.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 September 2014, 07:46:39 by CPTBadAss »

Offline sleepy916

Very nice! I hope to be doing this soon.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
The one is kinda wonky, I need to clean the plate, and I'd like to powder coat the board. But the most important part is done, it works! I'm really excited and I'm looking forward to seeing others post pictures or videos. Make sure you do that sleepy916 :P.

Offline sleepy916

The one is kinda wonky, I need to clean the plate, and I'd like to powder coat the board. But the most important part is done, it works! I'm really excited and I'm looking forward to seeing others post pictures or videos. Make sure you do that sleepy916 :P.

How is your mat? Mine was bad, I had to make a new one. The plate was pretty bad with rust marks too.

I will take more pictures once I start putting it together. I needed to get new flippies because all the ones that came with my kish had rust on them.  :confused:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
My mat is in decent condition. My plate is dirty but no rust and I didn't have any rust on my flippers either.

Offline sleepy916

My mat is in decent condition. My plate is dirty but no rust and I didn't have any rust on my flippers either.

Lucky! I finished the case and plate. I posted them in the kishsaver thread. I'm going to scavenge my xt for the flippies tomorrow. Then I just need you to send that enviro.  ^-^

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Lucky! I finished the case and plate. I posted them in the kishsaver thread. I'm going to scavenge my xt for the flippies tomorrow.

I saw your brushed metal case look, it looks great! And I thought there was an issue with the flippies. I might not be remembering correctly but I thought there was a difference between the Model F flippers and these....or maybe that was just the M and F flippers. Anywho, you may want to look into that :D.

Then I just need you to send that enviro.  ^-^

I'll get right on that  ;) ;) ;)

Offline sleepy916

Lucky! I finished the case and plate. I posted them in the kishsaver thread. I'm going to scavenge my xt for the flippies tomorrow.

I saw your brushed metal case look, it looks great! And I thought there was an issue with the flippies. I might not be remembering correctly but I thought there was a difference between the Model F flippers and these....or maybe that was just the M and F flippers. Anywho, you may want to look into that :D.

Then I just need you to send that enviro.  ^-^

I'll get right on that  ;) ;) ;)

The flippies you can use but not the barrels. The barrels in the kish have that notch, while the xt doesn't have any. Yeah the model m flippies/hammers can't be used.

Have you thought about doing the floss mod? I love the way it sounds after it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
The flippies you can use but not the barrels. The barrels in the kish have that notch, while the xt doesn't have any. Yeah the model m flippies/hammers can't be used.

Gotcha gotcha. Thanks for the info.

I'd never floss mod any of my BS boards. I quite like how loud they are. It's part of the charm. The machine gun funk.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Looks great!

In theory I would love to do this, but I don't think that I could live without arrow keys.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: IBM 609284 "Kishsaver" Keyboard Controller Swap Build Log - Video and Pics
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 08:49:14 »
Looks great!

In theory I would love to do this, but I don't think that I could live without arrow keys.

Thanks for your pictures.

And if you look at how I have my layers setup, it's actually really convient to access the arrow keys. You could also change up the layout and I believe that you could work in arrow keys. I know others have been going with an HHKB-esque layout and I'm sure there are other layouts that you could work with.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 09:43:23 »

I'd never floss mod any of my BS boards. I quite like how loud they are. It's part of the charm. The machine gun funk.

impressive my brother and thanks for sharing with the rest of us...........

"machine gun funk"

great saying and you are right on it..............it is what i enjoy as well

george clinton (parliament) would give you thumbs up as well

More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline sleepy916

I didn't think I would like it either so I didn't try the mod for over a year. But once I did I like how crisp it sounds.  ^-^

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 13:54:14 »
The machine gun funk.
I didn't think I would like it either so I didn't try the mod for over a year. But once I did I like how crisp it sounds.

The floss mod is great and makes the Model F perfect.

The machine gun funk is still there, the floss attenuates the ricochets.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:47:10 »
I tried a floss modded M last year. Really unimpressed by it to be honest.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 23:38:29 »
Totally different from a floss-modded model F, IMO.

Also, awesome work on that kishsaver!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 07:59:04 »

Totally different from a floss-modded model F, IMO.

Agreed. The floss mod on a Model M is "meh" at best. It will reduce the noise somewhat, and you may lose a bit of "feel" but after having been spoiled by the Model F, a Model M will always be second-shelf, whether raw or modded.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 08:13:49 »
I would make sure that you have the latest version of the firmware and the Layer Conditions set correctly in order to access the second layer.  That was my issue and it caused a bit of heartache.

Also, don't drink and program.  It's not a productive combo.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 08:16:00 »
I have the right firmware and I have one of the two layers working. My second layer has media functions which apparently don't play nicely with Windows. I may need to use AHK or similar programs to get them working according to xwhatsit.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 09:12:21 »
I have the right firmware and I have one of the two layers working. My second layer has media functions which apparently don't play nicely with Windows. I may need to use AHK or similar programs to get them working according to xwhatsit.

Well, that is the limit of my measly knowledge.  Good luck.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: IBM 6019284 "Kishsaver" Keyboard Controller Swap Build Log - Video and Pics
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 19:41:49 »
For anyone who is reading this later, here is a pro tip brought to you by Muirium on Deskthority. When you work on this keyboard, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE BOARD GROUNDED. The little screw that holds in the corner of the controller board is essential for making this work. If it's not grounded, it sends out a *ton* of false positives and you think your computer is crashing and burning.

I was trying to test out my board without grounding it. So in other words, the two case halves were detached and I removed the grounding bolt that connects the PCB into the top half of hte case. It wasn't working and essentially locked up my computer 3 times. Only when I grounded the board did it fix the problem. Muirium mentions this in one of the capsense threads on DT.

Also, xwhatsit has released version 0.7.1 of his programmer for the capsense boards.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 October 2014, 07:49:59 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Great tip, thanks! I haven't put mine back together with the new controller yet, but I would definitely have done that too. Typically, you WANT to test things before reassembling them.