Author Topic: What is your favorite switch? Excerpts from the 11/11/17 Norcal Meetup  (Read 13562 times)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
I had a blast at this past Saturday's Norcal Meetup. Lots of boards, lots of people. I went around asking "what is your favorite switch?". With ~400 in attendance, I was unable to get everyone, but here are the results.

Offline AuthenticDanger

Re: What is your favorite switch? Excerpts from the 11/11/17 Norcal Meetup
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 11:55:56 »
And not single right answer.  :))

I'd be curious to see the representation of switches across boards that were on display. But that would be a lot of work for someone to catalog and then data enter all the info.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 12:24:15 »
every one looks like a kid there

now I know I'm getting old, **** :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 12:27:46 »

Eat veggies..

Get skinny..

Shave unnecessary phat cloaking beard.. (yes everyone knows)

+ 15 younger looking.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 12:53:48 »
I feel like need to step up my game! I only ever used... standard switches hadn't created my own.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 13:12:17 »

I did get a bunch of Asians, and Asians tend to look younger lol. We had the OG engineer who designed the M0110. To him everyone there was probably a kid.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 13:16:51 »
Crazy to hear so many people picking different cherry-clone switches. I have to wonder, after so many iterations of a cherry switch if some of them are saying they prefer the same mechanical switch under different names, lol.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 13:52:07 »

I'd be curious to see the representation of switches across boards that were on display. But that would be a lot of work for someone to catalog and then data enter all the info.

Too much work for sure! I want to enjoy the meetup too! haha

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 13:55:32 »
Crazy to hear so many people picking different cherry-clone switches. I have to wonder, after so many iterations of a cherry switch if some of them are saying they prefer the same mechanical switch under different names, lol.

Honestly if I was given my choice of cherry are a clone. I 9-10 times pick the clones. The only thing to me cherry has going for it at this point is a name. Its like Asus Rog lineup... your paying for a name more then quality. While others have innovated and improved there offerings in most cases.

Cherry just keeps on chugging along with the same design.. the same scratchy molds. I hadn't tried new MX blacks but older production MX blacks in a rosewell board.. couldn't even compared to how smooth my Box Blacks and Gat blacks are.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 14:00:28 »

Too much work for sure! I want to enjoy the meetup too! haha

That actually wouldn't be too much work. I might do that next time. It's also be cool to know where to boards came from, geographically.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 14:01:20 »

Honestly if I was given my choice of cherry are a clone. I 9-10 times pick the clones. The only thing to me cherry has going for it at this point is a name. Its like Asus Rog lineup... your paying for a name more then quality. While others have innovated and improved there offerings in most cases.

Cherry just keeps on chugging along with the same design.. the same scratchy molds. I hadn't tried new MX blacks but older production MX blacks in a rosewell board.. couldn't even compared to how smooth my Box Blacks and Gat blacks are.

Actually that's not completely true. Cherry just redesigned their housings/stems (check out the new blacks). RBG's and Silents too. I wasn't really getting into the Clone vs. Cherry thing but more about the same switch getting multiple names. :)

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 14:39:06 »

Actually that's not completely true. Cherry just redesigned their housings/stems (check out the new blacks). RBG's and Silents too. I wasn't really getting into the Clone vs. Cherry thing but more about the same switch getting multiple names. :)

O got ya and I do want to try out new switches specially silent blacks! Those are as smooth as my box blacks... they maybe perfection ... like real perfection. do you happen to know if you can spring swap a silent switch? Cause I could see me getting some blacks swapping to 50-55g springs and giving them a real shot. I know box switches you really can't change much but not sure about cherry silent switches.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 14:48:37 »
You can change out springs the same way as any other Cherry MX Switch.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 15:02:10 »
You can change out springs the same way as any other Cherry MX Switch.

nice and thanks Merlin sorry didn't mean to get so far off topic in your thread.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 15:30:01 »
So is the consensus Cherry is dead and 3rd party copies are actually better, or is this just the cool hipster thing to like off-brand switches?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 15:40:37 »
is this just the cool hipster thing to like off-brand switches?

I saw a lot of beard's in that video..

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 15:45:27 »
I had a blast at this past Saturday's Norcal Meetup. Lots of boards, lots of people. I went around asking "what is your favorite switch?". With ~400 in attendance, I was unable to get everyone, but here are the results.

Heheheh, all those people and only the last guy got it right :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 15:45:36 »
So is the consensus Cherry is dead and 3rd party copies are actually better, or is this just the cool hipster thing to like off-brand switches?

Or maybe it really is preference. After trying a lot of switches out there, none of Cherry's stock offerings do it for me. When it comes to linear switches, Reds are too light and Blacks are too heavy. The same applies for Browns and Clears for tactile switches. If they made a tactile switch that bottoms out in the 67-70g region, I'd probably be perfectly happy to use it.

Offline dante

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 13:23:46 »

Both Cherry and Kailh suck.

Some recent batches of Cherry switches are not smooth.  Likewise I can't find anyone at Kailh to explain why some batches are shipping without lubricant.

None of this will matter to the DIY'er.  They will lube their Franken switches to their personal preferences.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 16:31:02 »

I think for a while the latter was true. People got on the Zealio hype train SUPER HARD, but I think the sheer amount of linear options Gateron offered were what made them a leading competitor. Their quality helped them push past the initial bad rep that Kailh got laid with.

I haven't tried Gaterons myself because I don't like linear switches, but the Kailh blue and browns I tried, I really liked.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 01:38:09 »
Props to my dude at the end with the ALPS!  :))
Cool concept for the video. I love hearing all the different ways people pronounce Topre too.
-Dana

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 01:53:21 »
saw a few familiar faces in the videos!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 02:25:32 »

six of one, half a dozen of the other

i all but refuse to use anything other than cherry linears, but for tactiles things get a little fuzzy
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 23:55:47 »
Holy crap!  400 people at a meetup!  What a party!  :thumb: