Author Topic: Justify's frosty 60% Build log [WIP]  (Read 15094 times)

Offline justify

• Great news!
Justify's frosty 60% Build log [WIP]
« on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 20:12:02 »
This is my first keyboard project, and I had no idea what theme I wanted to pursue, there was too many choices, whether it be a korean keyboard, topre or a 40%. I had the idea that I wanted to build a keyboard from scratch, and as perfect as possible. After a few days of brainstorming I consulted some people to ask for their thoughts, I had decided that I wanted a 60% layout, but the color scheme, undecided. I had always wanted to use Rainbow POM keycaps, however they are near impossible to obtain, but after PM-ing feng on geekhack, I was able to secure a white set instead, so this is the theme I was going to follow.

I didnt know of many materials such as acrylic and nylon at the time, but after doing some research, I found that frosty acrylic was what I wanted. I then discovered the Tex acrylic case that was recently on massdrop, but I had missed it, so I put up a classifieds post and within a day I had a tex acrylic case shipping to me from france.

I then began doing some research into plates and PCBs, now I am both a geekhacker and a redditor, and one day on /r/mk I discovered a user by the name 22kbd/Kaliet, so I sent him a PM and that PM turned into an email, and that email turned into a custom order tailored to my needs. I would be getting a thick 4MM frosty acrylic plate, and a white PCB, aswell as switch stickers and LEDs.

I now had to find switches, and a suitable cable for my keyboard, I was going for a full frost theme afterall, but lucky for me, gateron switches were recently brought into light in the community, and they were proving to be very popular, so when the interest check begun, I opted in for gateron clear switches (of course), and once the group buy started for them, I ordered 200 of those, great! Now I had to find springs and stabilizers.

Luckily for me, sprit returned just as I begun my research into where I could buy these. I sent him a PM with my ideas, and he was able to send me 62g springs, and gold stabilizers within a week of PMs. I got to see these gold stabilizers before he sold them publically which is really really cool.

So, to recap, all I really needed was to secure a cable, and for my switches to arrive, and to buy lube for my switches. Luckily for me, pexon just started his easter sale right as I was looking into cables (so many coincidences right?), so I sent him a PM with my ideas for my project, and he recommended that I get tinned copper, with clear wrap on the outside, and get that coiled, a week or so later, I got a nice surprise in the post.

At this point, I have ordered most of the things I needed, I just need to wait from my order from korea to arrive. My gaterons arrived in the post (although I dont think I have a pic for em), I ordered lubricant from EliteKeyboards, the mechlube 1 and 2 for my stabilizers, and linear switches

My package arrived from korea containing my PCB/plate/LED/stickers, even though I had to pay ridiculous fees in customs charges, it arrived safely, it was like christmas time, I opened it up as fast as I could, until....

nooo, wrong plate...

all those months in waiting (Jan-May) and I end up getting a different plate.. I sent Kaliet an email, a month later he got back to me notifying that one was in the mail for me. At this point I couldnt wait to start beginning building my keyboard, exams are on the horizon so I hope to start ASAP.

My final package from korea arrived, containing lots of newspapers that I could never read for the life of me, and the plate I desired;

Everything is here, lets get building....

First thing was to lube the switches, perform QC on them, if they pass, I place them into the fridge for 45 minutes, then test again, if they pass they are golden, if not the process begins over again..

My first task was to kill my fingers and prise open all of the switches I would theoretically need;

I would then apply lube on the sides of the switch, then brush some onto the ends of the springs, then place a small amount on the switch pegs.

Once all of them were done

I would place them in a plastic bag to seal them, then chill in a fridge for 45 minutes, this would slightly harden the lube and makes it feel more buttery before it returns to room temperature again. I would then perform a sound test;

The switches in the middle were the untested switches, the ones in the bag passed QC, the ones to the right of the pen failed QC, and needed further testing..The process continues again;

until all switches have passed QC, the perfect switches would then be chilled one last time and sound tested, and none failed.

Now I had to sticker, I done this process row by row, the best strategy for this was to mount the switches (with tops off - lewd) on the keyboard, and apply stickers correctly, then I would snap the tops on and the stickers would not move;

Once this process was complete I would seal them (again) for more QC in the fridge (it really works - try it)

Once all these were done and up to my standard, its time to get the soldering iron out!

Once all switches were in position, time to solder..

After I soldered all switches and LEDs, completed tests to see if I had any faulty soldering;

I removed the non-working LEDs and fitted new ones. Perfect! All the labor is done, time to fit the keycaps, probably the more fun part of my project (don't worry my child you will be complete soon)

I opted to use the stepped caps lock as it isnt loved enough in all keyboards I have looked at, so I figured why not :P

My keyboard, is complete! Almost... The RGB leds in the back of the PCB make it so the plate sticks up out the back, rather than uniform with the rest of the case

I just need to sand part of it away, and I will be fine.

The parts that need to stay intact are masked with sticky tape to prevent any damage

Aaand, the keyboard is complete!

Heres some shots I took of it which I really like;

Size comparison to the novatouch hybrid keyboard

Stickered and LEDededded switch

Rainbow  Pix!

Aand my favorite pic..

Thank you for reading my build log! I still have more pictures to upload, and I still have to actually screw the PCB into the case, but I first need to clean the flux on the PCB, then I will do that, I will be sure to have pictures for that too. Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2015, 16:47:38 by justify »

Offline joey

Re: Justify's frosty 60% Build log
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 01:22:00 »
Superb!
Very LastPiloty  :thumb:

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 01:36:56 »
Your experience, waiting, ordering, and even parts, are similar to what I've been wanting, and waiting to build.
It makes me want to go build mine, but still waiting on some parts.

I think yours came out better than mine will.

Really nice board, and insane amount of detail you put into perfecting everything.

Your work payed off :)

Still would love to get that CC but looks like you found a home for it.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 01:48:18 »
Nice build log
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 02:29:59 »
Sexy, I like!  :thumb:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 06:42:10 »
Wow, I loved reading this and I'm sure you're loving using it. Thanks so much for sharing.

I'm curious about the fridge thing. I understand that it thickens the lube, but why is that good/important?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 06:51:00 »
Very nice work man! Can't wait to see even more pictures of the board.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 07:26:03 »
Crisp!

How smooth are lubed Gateron clears? I've only tried stock, which have minimal friction already compared to say, MX Red.

Offline justify

• Great news!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 18:13:23 »
Wow, I loved reading this and I'm sure you're loving using it. Thanks so much for sharing.

I'm curious about the fridge thing. I understand that it thickens the lube, but why is that good/important?
I don't know the science behind it, but from my experience, it makes it temporary thicker and easier to spread(?) I'm not exactly sure, but it made my QC testing easier to do.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 19:26:08 »
Ah...the life of sound QC tests and sanding LED's. Passion really is the key to modding. <3

It's probably predictable of me but I like this. A lot. :) I will have to try out the fridge thing, it sounds interesting.

What do you think of the POM's? I've often been tempted to try other keys on my GON but I just can't do it lol. They feel really unique, not sure how to describe it.

edit: lol wattttt how did you open all those switches with just your fingers, that's intense!
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2015, 19:34:33 by Lastpilot »

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 21:44:44 »
Wonderful  Ill-lurstrations 

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 13:18:42 »
Beautiful board. Thanks for sharing!

Offline thelectronicnub

• drowning in keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 13:33:32 »
How'd you get the switch stickers on so perfectly? I can never get them on right :(
KUL ES-87 w/MX Greens

B/S/T Thread

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 14:58:27 »
How'd you get the switch stickers on so perfectly? I can never get them on right :(
Tweezers help immensely.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 15:25:56 »
Tweezers help immensely.

Quality vinyl switch sticker is also important !

For example, the ones I recently got from TechKeys.us are not so great : glossy finish + imprecise pre-cutting.

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 19:49:06 »
Nice build, justify! Insane QC procedure.

Offline thelectronicnub

• drowning in keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 22:13:20 »
Tweezers help immensely.

Quality vinyl switch sticker is also important !

For example, the ones I recently got from TechKeys.us are not so great : glossy finish + imprecise pre-cutting.

Yeah, I was using the ones from Techkeys and they were a tad too small to fit around the switch
KUL ES-87 w/MX Greens

B/S/T Thread

Offline justify

• Great news!
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 07:26:16 »
Tweezers help immensely.
I used a knife to place them, I had tweezers too, but knife was much MUCH easier  :thumb:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 07:39:35 »
Now I see why you didn't want the lovely orange plate :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline justify

• Great news!
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 03:46:29 »
hehe yes, you used it yet?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 17:18:12 »

First I had to wait for my birthday, then for some Enablers (for the stabilised keys) and only when I had everything did I think to check it would fit in the case, which it didn't. I could only find a Teensy 2.0 (which still needed filing down to fit) in Europe with pins so I ordered it and removed them, but I damaged some pads.  There are enough left working to do a board with no LEDs so I carried on but it just doesn't.  If I press any key in column 14 I can get it to output a B and then it keeps outputting BBBBBBBB until I unplug it which makes no sense at all.

No sure if I fried the Teensy, damaged more pads while attaching the wires, shorted something, or just noted down what I connected where wrongly leading to incompatible firmware - I can't see anything with the wires in the way so I'll be disconnecting it at the weekend and building/testing the firmware with nothing connected.  I now know why most people use a PCB where space is an issue - it's so much easier that the cost is justified!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline justify

• Great news!
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 11:57:16 »

First I had to wait for my birthday, then for some Enablers (for the stabilised keys) and only when I had everything did I think to check it would fit in the case, which it didn't. I could only find a Teensy 2.0 (which still needed filing down to fit) in Europe with pins so I ordered it and removed them, but I damaged some pads.  There are enough left working to do a board with no LEDs so I carried on but it just doesn't.  If I press any key in column 14 I can get it to output a B and then it keeps outputting BBBBBBBB until I unplug it which makes no sense at all.

No sure if I fried the Teensy, damaged more pads while attaching the wires, shorted something, or just noted down what I connected where wrongly leading to incompatible firmware - I can't see anything with the wires in the way so I'll be disconnecting it at the weekend and building/testing the firmware with nothing connected.  I now know why most people use a PCB where space is an issue - it's so much easier that the cost is justified!
Wow, PCBs are useful and they make the switches more stable, I like them and makes the board overall more clean. I haven't dabbled with a teensy but I will do in another project.

Offline justify

• Great news!
Re: Justify's frosty 60% Build log [WIP]
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 16:47:53 »
Updated with more pictures!