Author Topic: IC: GMK Marvin  (Read 6333 times)

Offline bloboeggy

IC: GMK Marvin
« on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 23:45:08 »
251312-0

GMK Marvin

very early render just to see if there's interest to develop this a lot further

feedback appreciated :)

EDIT:
Firstly thank you to everyone who got excited, secondly apologies to those i upset for me not understanding IC well enough, and thirdly I'll be back with better renders :cool:

EDIT 2:
I'm inexperienced not greedy, I'm aware this is a lengthy process i just posted at the start not towards finalising which was a mistake but equally I'd like feedback to make modifications as early as possible in the design process. I'm now aware i used the IC wrong but if feedback could be focused on the key-caps rather than on how to IC that'd be appreciated because I do intend to work on this.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2020, 10:50:38 by bloboeggy »

Offline GaNeBaL

Re: IC: GMK Marvin
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 23:50:21 »
 :blank:
Obsessed with 60%TKLs

Offline Hdjekso

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 23:57:50 »
Wow. Just wow.

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 00:01:04 »
We've reached peak levels of keyset design.

I'd buy one, colour me interested.

Offline bigern302

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 00:05:20 »
There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom. 

Offline Bitmxp

• I’ll take 12
    • Bitmap Studios
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 00:08:05 »
Not enough cash, how does 15 Alpines and a couple Keycults sound?

Offline VagueOrigin

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 00:09:41 »
(Attachment Link)

GMK Marvin

very early render just to see if there's interest to develop this a lot further

feedback appreciated :)
My childhood on my keeb, ill take it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline Solus

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 00:10:05 »
ne blush kit available
Duck Jetfire | HHKB Pro 2 | TX-CP | GSKT-00 | Vega | Fuji65

Offline Tree_

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 00:11:03 »
I appreciate the hustle and desire to capitalize on zeitgeist while you can.

That being said, early ICs are simply not the way to go about publishing a set concept. A bad early IC is way worse than a late, fleshed out IC. ICs are all about impressions and the impression this IC leaves upon me is very poor. You're looking for positive reception as confirmation for renders? You're not going to find it with this low quality of an IC.

It's clear that you're fairly new to the community. You made a GH account to post this thread. This is a 60% base kit. That's something you majorly flesh out before you even have colors in a lot of cases. Your colors are web colors, meaning you're oblivious to the IC process and GMK production as a whole, things you can easily find out more about by visitng the trove of old GB and IC threads, or even uniqey's website. This comes off as a cash grab from an inexperienced community member, which, to be honest, I'm not ragging on, but I'm definitely not about it. Take some time in the hobby to be part of the community. Be a little more active. Find out what works, what's good, why it works, why it's good, and talk with more types of folks to engage in that exchange. That's what it's really about. While the "i see guy make thing, i can make thing too!" mentality certainly has driven a lot of cool stuff, this is not one of those cases.

Renders went from being a nice to have in ICs to nearly a need to have. It shows you have some level of personal commitment to the set that you would even pay for mockups our of your own pocket before anything is official. To not have renders and to just show off a set of KLEs, is definitely not a good look, and the KLEs do a very poor job of showing the colors that you want to show, or maybe they do a really good job, but to me they look like blanks. I'm not trying to bog you down or take shots at an easy target, rarely anything ever deserves that. If you're truly invested in making this set happen beyond a text-post and a barely visible KLE render, you need to make a very good impression, so that vendors who see your IC will want to work with ya.

Many people will not buy into the concept if the IC is not good from the get-go. You can sell any concept to anyone as long as the beginning impressions are good enough.

If you're intent on making this happen (and this would have to be very soon, before more eyes can see this and get their first impressions, which, in their current state would result in the set being written off extremely quickly) then you can:

1. Flesh out those layouts.
2. Get some renders.
3. Pick colors that aren't web colors, it's 2020. We have resources to help design GMK sets. GMK has resources to help design GMK sets. Use google, guy.
4. Goals, MOQs, prior contact to GMK show vendors that you're willing to do work beyond "hur dur look at color now shoulder it all for me," which, even if a vendor wouldn't take you up on, they would like to see.
5. Give more of a ****. Going into a project half-assed (you could be fully on board, but this post does certainly not show that) only makes me believe in the project less. If you don't believe in your project enough to give a detailed, commited sales pitch, why should any vendor, or even why should the community believe in it? Dipping your toes into the pool is simply not an option when everyone else who's making successful sets is hopping in headfirst.

cmon guy.

Offline bigern302

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 00:16:48 »
This > 15 alpines

Offline kimchijody

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 00:31:58 »
What timeline is this? I've lost track....

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 01:54:15 »
GMK Holy Panda flashbacks.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 02:21:44 »
?_?

colour me confused

Offline yui

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 03:16:24 »
when i read the title i thought of the paranoid android... so the theme made no sense to me, now i see that it is the martian... maybe i am alone in that or maybe the name is confusing. still not quite what i would want on a keyboard, just in case it wants to destroy earth.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 03:20:20 »
Oooohhhhh Marvin the Martian I get it.. no

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 04:39:22 »
No.  :blank:

Offline zedbraxmen

• Sheesh
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 05:00:01 »
I thought I was going to see a Pulp Fiction reference of 'I shot Marvin in the face'.

HHKB Kei | Constellation

Offline dibstern

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 05:16:05 »
This is stunning and brave.

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 05:58:19 »
Pawg

Offline Janoma

• certified nerd
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 06:12:09 »
Try the keyboard keycaps section of gh, the keycap designers discord, the r/keycapdesigners community, basically anywhere except the interest check section, where people want to see fleshed out concepts,
not a kle render that took 5 minutes.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 06:20:05 »
oh you are about to get slayed son..

Offline norb

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 07:56:08 »
when you order gmk gregory on wish.com

Offline huey

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 07:57:30 »
yeah nah

Offline yui_

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 08:04:03 »
It looks so good!!! Glwic, I hope you can run this.

Offline sendrim

• Instagram
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 09:09:05 »
...inbefore this is the new <input overpriced on aftermarket keyset name here>

Also, kinda weird wording to use "apologies to those i upset for not understanding IC well enough"
It can be seen as insulting instead of, well apologizing. :confused:

Edit: Ah, you mean that you were the one not understanding the concept of how an IC is supposed to go? Then it's not insulting, lol! <3
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2020, 09:15:33 by sendrim »
I like SA

Offline yui

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 09:30:03 »
some may feel entitled that if you make an IC it should be a finished product ready to sell, but it kinda defeat the idea of an IC, given that it is meant to check if there is interest before putting much time and money in the project, seems like it is exactly what you did, so i do think you should ignore offended peoples (when it comes to not enough renders or so on, not when it comes to racism, sexism and so on), someone will always find anything offensive either way.

tl;dr do not let the "offended" bring you down.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 09:35:52 »
Enough with the sarcastic comments, please give OP legitimate feedback or do not post at all.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline udller

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 10:46:00 »
i think having the legend colours all be the same would work maybe better? having ` and \ different kinda looks weird. they yewllo on the green is hard to read.

Offline Owl

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 18:09:42 »
Funny design. There is a lot of really fun stuff you could do with this actually assuming you're serious about seeing this through. My main concern would be the Warner Bro's. Those guys LOVE hunting down people who so much as breathe on IP of theirs lol.

As for the IC. Your next steps should be to look into specific color codes like RAL or Pantone or GMK stock colors and find some good matches. Then I would look into deciding how you want your kits to look like. Yeah the Marvin face looks good on your 60% there but how would it look on other boards? How could you make it compatible with a variety of layouts? That sort of thing. And yeah once you've got a good idea of what you want to offer, get some more renders.

Not personally a fan of keysets that use schemes like this to "draw" faces or objects using the caps. I think it looks sloppy and "disposable". If you want Marvins face on there, put it on a single keycap and a deskmat. It will look a lot cleaner, more professional, and allow the caps themselves to support the theme while also being versatile and clean enough to work with different aesthetics and preferences. That design philosophy is seen in pretty much all of the most successful keycap sets out there. BUT who knoiws, you could be the one to break the mold.

Anyway good luck!

Offline Ramen Champ

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 19:18:10 »
Running a successful gb requires quite a bit of work and effort - and while the concept's "interest" is, in a technical sense, being checked, a single low quality render doesn't convey confidence in buyers to pay > $100 to invest in your idea to get a product 6-12months later.

With that being said, I think it's a common misconception that many people mistake inexperience with greed. I hope you come back with a more fledged out concept, as I think it could be interesting.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2020, 12:51:31 by Ramen Champ »
twitch.tv/ramenchamp_

Offline yui

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 00:48:21 »
i am quite curious on what that could give on a 100% or TKL, gold frow for his gold crest?

Offline kimchijody

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 01:46:26 »
Firstly thank you to everyone who got excited, secondly apologies to those i upset for me not understanding IC well enough, and thirdly I'll be back with better renders :cool:

I'm not upset at all personally. just genuinely confused. My first impression was that this was a meme set as there was so little information. Even as far as meme sets go, they should ideally be good enough in the design if the intention is to run the set. For me to take it seriously, I would have liked to see more renders, kits, RAL/Pantone colors, desk mats, to-do list, potential collabs, etc. Hell even inspiration for why you chose Marvin. One would also have to take into consideration copyright restrictions with IP like this. It's intriguing in the same way Greg is but if you want genuine feedback, we're going to need a lot more to go off of.

Designing anything is not about nailing it on the first try, it's about how much improvement you can make to get a quality IC. Take some more time and use this as a learning experience. The hobby isn't going anywhere.