Author Topic: [SAMPLES COMPLETE] (please wait for the GB) Volume/Media Keycaps from QWERKeys  (Read 17521 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
In-Fill Media/Volume Control Keyset

[Interest Check - Done]

Please check the end of this thread for status.  There will be two options, A full set of 7 media keys or the smaller set of 3 volume control keys.  They will be in-filled from QWERKeys unless and until large and surprising volumes are ordered in the GB.

[UPDATE] 03-Dec-2012: First run of keys is in.  Please check the end of the thread for details.

The GB will happen after I have the samples of both sets in multiple colors.

Set of three Volume Control keycaps

7703-1
Set of seven Media Control keycaps

Please wait for the Group Buy before asking for them.

Thanks!

- samwisekoi

I love having beautiful sets of keycaps on my nice keyboards, as does everyone else here.  What I don't like is not having the ability to turn the volume up, down or off with the press of a key.  Some keyboards include this capability with function keys, but only if you don't replace the keycaps with something better.  And the "something better" sets never come with matching volume control keycaps.  So (for example) my Red Alert keyboard has some mismatched keys for volume control.

I would like to change this and help make the world a better place by making Media/Volume Control Keysets available to match popular color combinations.  For under ten dollars a set.

But wait! You may wonder where and how you will install these keycaps if your keyboard does not even have a place for them?  The answer, my friends, is the unused set of keys in the upper right.  How often do you really need "Scroll Lock"?  Do you often "Pause" a job with the press of the dedicated key for that function?  Perhaps you do use the "Print Screen" key sometimes, but for me those three keys are pretty much like handbags for snakes -- and I have several lovely sets of untouched, color-matched keycaps for those keys.

I use AutoHotKey for Windows, Keyboard Shortcuts for Ubuntu, and Xmodmap for other forms of Linux.  And I will be happy to share the key-map scripts to change three key into functional Media/Volume Control keys.

And on my buckling spring keyboards, I simply buy IBM Space-Saver Media/Volume Control keycaps from Unicomp in my choice of gray legends on any keycap that isn't black.  Good enough for those keyboards.

But there is nothing similar to those keys for Cherry MX keyswitches -- until now!

Media/Volume Control Keyset to Match i3oilermaker's Hazard Keycap Set

Because the world needs them (at least in my humble opinion) I have made SVG legends for Media/Volume Control Keysets.  And I am going to make them available from either Qwerkeys (in-filled) or double-shots from SP.  In as many color combinations as I can manage -- and there is popular  interest in having.

Some examples of possibilities:
7078-3
Possible color combinations

Naturally you can put these keys anywhere you like.  And you can map them to (for example) Alt-F1, Alt-F2, and Alt-F3 instead of "Print Screen", "Scroll Lock" and "Pause".  Or wherever you wish.

Qwerkeys will make them for under $10 per set with no MOQ per color combination.  Alternatively, SP will make legends and double-shot keycap sets with of an effective MOQ of 35 sets per color combination for the same price.  If we go with SP double-shots, Mr. i3oilermaker has graciously agreed to stock reasonable quantities of them at TechKeys.  If we go with SP, I will fund the legends and they will then be available to be shot with any future keyset Group Buy from SP.

Here's the deal:
Option One: If there is very little interest in these, Qwerkeys is the way to go, and the keysets will be available in whatever color combination strikes your fancy.  But shipping outside of the UK is expensive, and the legends wouldn't be available for use with future Group Buys.

Option Two: If there is enough interest, SP double-shots are the way to go, but there will be an effective MOQ of 35 sets per color combination for the same price.  They won't be available in a near-infinite range of color combinations unless some person or group wants to buy $150 worth at one go.  However, They will be available for use in future keysets.  And I will ensure at least a couple of color combinations are made initially so there are some available.

Step One
If you have ANY interest in such keys, reply to this thread and I will make one of those fancy Google Docs to figure out interest in color combinations.

Then we will see who gets to make...

Double-shot or In-Fill Media/Volume Control Keyset for under $10 (plus shipping, etc.)
7080-4
Not-yet final legends for the Media/Volume Control Keyset

Thanks for reading this far!

TL;DR If you might like some of the keycaps shown above, reply to this thread and then we will pick color and a vendor.

- Ron | samwisekoi

« Last Edit: Mon, 03 December 2012, 17:41:01 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
For the legends, I think nicer looking ones would be for mute, a speaker with an X in front of it, for volume down, a speaker with just a small sound line from it, and the one for volume up is fine.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Stacking pancakes in a bowl?  And stacking meatballs in a bowl?  Odd media  ;D
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
For the legends, I think nicer looking ones would be for mute, a speaker with an X in front of it, for volume down, a speaker with just a small sound line from it, and the one for volume up is fine.

I made some like that; these are "inspired by" the ones from IBM.  I will happily draft some alternatives like the ones you propose.

Stacking pancakes in a bowl?  And stacking meatballs in a bowl?  Odd media  ;D

Hmm.  Well, ok.  Fair enough.  Below are the IBM/Unicomp versions.

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Constructive criticism is a-ok.  Please preface such with "Interested, and I would like to improve the design." or "Not interested, but I would like to object to the design anyhow."

p.p.s.  Seriously, please actually indicate interest or non-interest.  Thanks!

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
I like my Cherry ones, but wouldn't mind not having the other icons on them too.

« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 12:19:50 by lysol »

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
I would be up for this.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
I like my Cherry ones, but wouldn't mind not having the other icons on them too.
Show Image

Show Image

Show-off!

Thanks for your interest.  I'm interested in an "Equity" key.  Does it work?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
ahh~ I'm sorry for being such a jerk... I would be interested if it were a little more creative.  Maybe something different than a speaker like a radio tower or pac man open mouthed/closed mouth for mute.  I also like my mute to be a bit more obvious than three dots.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
ahh~ I'm sorry for being such a jerk... I would be interested if it were a little more creative.  Maybe something different than a speaker like a radio tower or pac man open mouthed/closed mouth for mute.  I also like my mute to be a bit more obvious than three dots.

Anything unintended I shall consider unsaid.

I will do up some creative alternatives.

Thanks for your input!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Appeac

YES PLEASE!

I'd pay additional for play/pause, skip, rew

edit: I would prefer a more "toned down" legend with more vectorized shapes.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 13:34:34 by Appeac »
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline houlty

i'd be more interested in something like on the filco camo majestouch-2 where the function keys could be dual purpose (with use of a modifier for the media option).

doesn't matter if both logo's are on top of the key though.  also i'd prefer them to be on the latter function keys F5-F12.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi

More words, please?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Appeac

More words, please?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Hard to say, a little less fisher price, a bit more understated?

Those filco legends posted by houlty look perfect. Just blow them up a bit, and put them on top of the key and I'd throw money at it like crazy.
FC660C

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.

More words, please?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Hard to say, a little less fisher price, a bit more understated?

Those filco legends posted by houlty look perfect. Just blow them up a bit, and put them on top of the key and I'd throw money at it like crazy.

Yeah, so basically a little less kid toy like and a bit more "grown up" looking rather than what you might find on a childs play keyboard.
I think it's the yellow that gives it the child like feeling the most.

**I am not trying to insult the OP by the comments.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Yeah, so basically a little less kid toy like and a bit more "grown up" looking rather than what you might find on a childs play keyboard.
I think it's the yellow that gives it the child like feeling the most.

**I am not trying to insult the OP by the comments.

Hah!  Personally, I prefer white/red or blue/white or maybe black and white in either direction.  I just used the yellow as an example because of the Hazard buy just now completing.

I shall compose a set of Media keys that would make a 90-year-old British Headmaster seem child-like by comparison.

Happy Halloween!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
I don't mind the look of the red and blue ones either :) They look pretty good.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline SurgeonKyle

• God I love keyboards
Re: [IC] Volume/Media Keyset under $10 (SP 2-shot <or> Qwerkeys In-Fill)
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 08:24:28 »
I like the idea of it for sure, but I'm not too huge on the provided legends, would be really useful on my brand new ducky though if I could get them in black icons on white keycaps, and as mentioned before I'd also be more than willing to pay a little bit extra for the play/pause, skip next, back, etc. media keys as well.

Great idea though, hope you collect enough interest!
Current Rotation: Ducky DK9087G2 PRO | Topre Realforce 87U TKL 55g | APC Branded Cherry G80

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 09:53:57 »
How about those Filco legends?  Perhaps placed so other legends could fit below (e.g. F9, F10, F11, F12, etc.)?

7138-0
Please excuse the quality; this is only a quick mock-up to aid in interest-detection.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline darkcow

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 12:13:44 »
Love those! Lets do that.

I am on the edge about having F keys there, I say don't. But either way should be okay.

Offline Appeac

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 13:48:45 »
How about those Filco legends?  Perhaps placed so other legends could fit below (e.g. F9, F10, F11, F12, etc.)?

(Attachment Link)
Please excuse the quality; this is only a quick mock-up to aid in interest-detection.

- Ron | samwisekoi

I'd rather keep them without a legend, since they will look good with blanks, or with print, whereas adding the text would look terrible with blanks.
FC660C

Offline Scirocco

• Not the usual grandma!
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 14:07:19 »
I like these. Double shots would be fantastic -- high use keys. I'd probably prefer white on black, but any of them would be good. Would likely buy more than one set.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 16:45:02 »

(Attachment Link)

- Ron | samwisekoi

I like this better also. I prefer the speaker icon of the Cherry, but I am just being picky. Open to different color option, maybe have a vote for 2 or something?

Offline Appeac

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 19:27:59 »

(Attachment Link)

- Ron | samwisekoi

I like this better also. I prefer the speaker icon of the Cherry, but I am just being picky. Open to different color option, maybe have a vote for 2 or something?

Yeah, the speaker design of the cherry is better. I also prefer the + and - to the "sound lines". Personal preference though.
FC660C

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 12:55:09 »
Yeah, the speaker design of the cherry is better. I also prefer the + and - to the "sound lines". Personal preference though.

How are these for "Cherry-esque" legends?  I added the little "x" to the Mute glyph for more clarity, but that could be easily clipped.

7200-0

Also, these are sized for either printing with or without another legend (e.g. F12).  The CAD-like image is a screenshot of a Visio file ready to be exported as an SVG file for creation of double-shot molds.

- Ron | samwisekoi

[edit] Added a version with some additional legends.  I don't like it much. [/edit]

« Last Edit: Fri, 02 November 2012, 15:03:07 by samwisekoi »

Offline Appeac

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 13:07:01 »

How are these for "Cherry-esque" legends?  I added the little "x" to the Mute glyph for more clarity, but that could be easily clipped.

(Attachment Link)

Also, these are sized for either printing with or without another legend (e.g. F12).  The CAD-like image is a screenshot of a Visio file ready to be exported as an SVG file for creation of double-shot molds.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Those are the absolute best keycaps I've ever seen. I'm actually crying right now.
FC660C

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 13:25:20 »
Those are nice. My interest has now been piqued.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 15:25:24 »
Here are the two I think I shall ask Qwerkeys to make as samples.

1) Black keys with White legends, including F9-F12.
2) White keys with Red legends, vertically centered.

These look like £12 for all seven or £5 for just the three Audio keys.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 15:49:44 »
Someone else interested in this from qwerkeys in B series with black outer layer and white inner layer with black text?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 15:54:58 »
Someone else interested in this from qwerkeys in B series with black outer layer and white inner layer with black text?

Oh, yes.  Very much.  I was trying to get the sets down to a price point where a group buy could happen, so I didn't go there. 

But yeah, I think they'd be beautiful in B-series.  And Dan will have the legends no matter what, so he'll certainly be able to shoot them in any series.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 16:25:57 »
Would fit great with my upcoming project that is based on blanks/engraved and black/white/black b series :D

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 13:23:43 »
I think this is the end of the Interest Check thread.  Here is what we got:

1.  samwisekoi
2.  lysol
3.  phetto (esp. B series in black/white/black )
4.  Binge
5.  Appeac ( + other controls, no dual-purpose )
6.  houlty ( + dual-purpose, e.g. F5-F12 )
7.  SurgeonKyle ( + other controls, black icons on white keycaps )
8.  darkcow ( no dual-purpose )
9.  Scirocco ( white on black; more than one set )
10. esoomenona

So interest level is about a dozen sets in various colors, with only one vote for multiple legends (e.g. VolUp plus F12 on a single keycap.)

This is not nearly enough for double-shot MOQ.  So it is off to QWERKeys we go.

I propose:
7281-0
A) 7 key set, WHITE Keycaps with RED in-fill Legends, QWERKeys Series J top Row
B) 7 key set, WHITE Keycaps with BLACK in-fill Legends, QWERKeys Series J top Row
C) 7 key set, BLACK Keycaps with WHITE in-fill Legends, QWERKeys Series J top Row

7278-1

D) 3 key set, WHITE Keycaps with RED in-fill Legends, QWERKeys Series K
E) 3 key set, RED Keycaps with WHITE in-fill Legends, QWERKeys Series K
(Version E would be a great match for QWERKeys' Biohazard escape key.)

I will provide QWERKeys with SVG templates for all of the above as well as a top-aligned version for use on Function Keys.

I will also enquire about B-series pricing and MOQ.

For now, I will place an order for (A), (D), and (E) as samples/my personal use.  Reply here or via PM if you would like me to create a formal or informal group order using the above or other color combinations.

Thanks for your participation!

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 November 2012, 13:32:49 by samwisekoi »

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 15:15:51 »
Dude, I will be up for White on black caps too, doesnt matter if they are ds or what ever, just the colors matter for me. ;]

Have you been in contact with qwerkeys? They started doubleshotting too right?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 15:49:18 »
Dude, I will be up for White on black caps too, doesnt matter if they are ds or what ever, just the colors matter for me. ;]

Have you been in contact with qwerkeys? They started doubleshotting too right?

I have indeed.  They do not have double-shot capability yet.

Would you like me to add you to the initial order?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Appeac

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 22:09:01 »
I like all a b and c equally.
FC660C

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 12:32:14 »
I want to preorder a B type media key set (black on white keycap)

cherry profile and slightly beige keys would be preferred but not a must
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 November 2012, 16:01:25 by ~Blood~ »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 12:56:12 »
Samples from QWERKeys of each type are on order now. Prices will be £5 for the 3-key Volume Control set and £12 for the 7-key Media Control set.

They cannot do Series B without an MOQ of 100 pieces, but they CAN do them in conjunction with another order for Series B keycaps.  Sadly the GB order for Series B Function Keys has already been processed, so it is Series J or K for now.

I will post pictures and some form of group-buy/broad availability option once the samples arrive.

Thanks to all who expressed interest and helped to improve the iconography!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Dan at QWERKeys just sent me pics of the new Media Keys.  IMHO, they look excellent!

I will run a Group Buy once they are in my hands, and then afterwards they will be available from (at least) QWERKeys.

Thank to Dan at QWERKeys and everyone who participated in refining the designs!

Pics below!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Looking good. :thumb:

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
That white on black looks pretty good. May have to pick them up to go with my Cherry double shots
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Appeac

Thanks for the progress update, looking good!
FC660C

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
They do look very cool!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
I think I like the white on red the best.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
I think I like the white on red the best.

Me too.

FYI, those are in K profile.  The others are in the normal QWERKeys profile.

Unfortunately we don't yet know if they will color-match the B profile function key GB.  Turns out Dan's supplier has three different "red" plastics.  He is working that out and will standardize in future.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline quake4mhg

[SAMPLES COMPLETE] (please wait for the GB) Volume/Media Keycaps from QWERKeys
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:25:07 »
Sorry for my newbie question, are they in R4 height?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Sorry for my newbie question, are they in R4 height?

No problem.  Because they are in-filled keys, they can be in any row profile you like.  The sample Volume keys are K series, and the sample Media keys are Function key row in J series. 

But they can be in any row in J or K-series as described here:

http://www.qwerkeys.co.uk/pages/keycaps-info

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
I have one of the QWERKeys gamer packs and their J series keys are much closer to Cherry profile than the Signature Plastics DCS profile.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
CANT WAIT FOR THEM, WHITE ON BLACK BABY!

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
The first run of media keys are in.  They lok really good.  Thanks to QWERKeys for making these real.

A Group Buy will happen as soon as I receive pricing from Dan at QWERKeys, but in the meantime, here are the keys!

Top to Bottom, left to right:

1. Series K (Tall) Volume Keys in Red on White.
2. Series K (Tall) Volume Keys in White on Red.
3. Series J (Function Key Row) Media Keys in White on Black.
4. Series J (Function Key Row) Media Keys in Black on White.
5. Series J (Function Key Row) Media Keys in Red on White.

Other color combinations and profiles are possible.  Double-shots are also possible if demand is sufficient.

Enjoy!

- Ron | samwisekoi