Author Topic: [IC]The Toxic set [OP updated 12/08]  (Read 89911 times)

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Re: [IC]Charcoal and Lime "Toxic"
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 13:33:12 »
the thing is I'm not thinking about taking the complete set, I'm just interested in the modifier set :D
Well check out the SP modifier set and I think you will be covered.

Also I updated the original post for clarity of how everything will be bundled together, and removed my mock up because it was terrible and confusing.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 13:37:52 »
Interested.  Especially with the timeline you mentioned.  Gives me enough time to hoard funds on the side for this.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:01:49 »
ok so I'm in for a mod set and the number row! :D

it's gonna be awesome! :D

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:13:37 »
ok so I'm in for a mod set and the number row! :D

it's gonna be awesome! :D
The number row may only be part of the base set, but if there is enough interest I can probably have it as an a-la-cart option too.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:19:59 »
I don't think I saw it, but maybe I just suck at reading. I'm assuming both a stepped caps lock and full touch caps lock will be available?

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:28:22 »
I like the darker/softer green setup, put me down for 1 set + tsangan kit
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Batmann

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:52:04 »
I did some possible modifiers on my spare time today,
it would "sign" the set and add a bit of  toxicity!

1                                                2                                                      3

Daniel is checking what can be done respecting double shot constraints.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:54:11 »
Can the green not be more toxic? Looks pretty soft at the moment.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:56:11 »

Show Image

1                                                2                                                      3

those symbols look cool :D

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:57:08 »

Show Image

Those are sick..Coming in 1.5mods?

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 14:59:36 »
I'm interested as well.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:01:42 »

Show Image

www.keyboardscience.org

I guess this does not work anymore, but there was a controversy a few years ago against some of the admins of GeekHack and GeekHack.  Those admins broke off to make a new web-site of their own called www.keyboardscience.org.  Some geekhackers signed up another account to that forum, but not many people moved.  It didn't turn out so well, so I believe deskthority bought the domain name, and if you went on keyboardscience, then it would direct you to deskthority.  Those logos were similar to keyboardscience's logo lol.

Just some fun history!
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:04:43 by sherryton »

Offline pasph

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:18:00 »
Interested only in GX on VAT modifier set
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:38:25 »
Can the green not be more toxic? Looks pretty soft at the moment.

I asked too, but this is the most toxic standard green.  Anything more toxic would be a custom order (and thus probably more expensive).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:40:15 »
How much more expensive though? An extra 10 USD would be well worth it!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:43:23 »
How much more expensive though? An extra 10 USD would be well worth it!

I would like something a bit more toxic too - cost??
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MarkPharaoh

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:46:43 »
These caps sound awesome, I'm interested.
Current: HHKB Pro 2, 87u 55g 10AE, FC600C, Model M 1391401

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 15:57:50 »
I'll ask Melissa how much they can tweak colors to get a slightly more neon shade of green. I kind of thought they had what was available, because they really don't have purple at all, only a lavender light purple. Then again they were able to mix colors to create the meth caps so I'll try and find out.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 16:01:26 »
The result of mixing colors can be inconsistent colors (also seen with the meth keys)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 16:04:48 »
Was meth different because they were translucent?

I imagine a slight variation in thickness of a key cap would be more obvious with translucent caps than solid colours.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 16:10:49 »

Was meth different because they were translucent?

I imagine a slight variation in thickness of a key cap would be more obvious with translucent caps than solid colours.

Most likely

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:03:55 »
Quote from: Melissa Petersen - Signature Plastics LLC
Tweaking colors here in house becomes problematic as it is difficult to get repeatability. The breaking bad color was relatively simple as we took an existing color and 'diluted it' so to speak as it was intended to be translucent. Creating a new shade is not something we really like to mess with in house. We do work with a variety of material suppliers that can create custom color matches for free - the kicker is we need to buy a minimum amount of material ($600). To do a match, they either need a physical sample of the color or a pantone number.
The detail on 2 of those keys may be a bit problematic, but in order to be sure I would need to see the SVG file for each.
Hope this helps!

This is somewhat promising. I asked if our group buy would possibly be enough to reach that $600 of material, if so we can try and get either a physical sample, or a pantone number together. If people really like the brighter color of those topre caps posted earlier maybe someone has an extra key to spare or I can buy an enter key off of EK.

I will also work with Batmann to get the SVG to Melissa so we can have those be part of the set. Maybe one shaped container can be one windows key, with the other as the opposite side windows key, and the bubbles as the menu/function key.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:12:42 »
Sounds good :)

I have nothing Topre, and Topre seems to have all the good colours (including the yellow sigh).

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:16:28 »
I personally don't think the green of the Topre caps is the right green to aim for. Is it just me?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:16:43 »

I have nothing Topre, and Topre seems to have all the good colours (including the yellow sigh).
Well it looks like with large enough orders we may be able to get our own custom colors made so in the future possibly a nicer yellow, the lime green, and maybe even a real purple.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:23:16 »
I can give you a spare of the green topre keycap to help with color matching if you want.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:28:29 »
I can give you a spare of the green topre keycap to help with color matching if you want.
As long as you are alright with never seeing it again, because I have a feeling you may not be able to get it back. I will see if we need to send it to Melissa, or directly to the material supplier.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
Re: Re: [IC]Charcoal and Lime "Toxic"
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:30:15 »
As long as you are alright with never seeing it again, because I have a feeling you may not be able to get it back. I will see if we need to send it to Melissa, or directly to the material supplier.
Yeah, I'm fine with that.  I have a few spare modifiers of the lime green caps...so it doesn't matter to me if i never get the caps back.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:41:08 »

Well it looks like with large enough orders we may be able to get our own custom colors made so in the future possibly a nicer yellow, the lime green, and maybe even a real purple.

omg TMNT keycaps... /dreams

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:44:49 »
We NEED a better purple, simply because SP doesn't have one
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:48:48 by The_Beast »
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:48:22 »
We NEED a better purple, simple because SP doesn't have one
Pay $600 for materials and you get your wish :p

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:49:33 »
We NEED a better purple Donatello, simple because SP doesn't have one

^There fixed that for the TMNT set.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 21:41:08 »
<- interest

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 21:51:41 »
Not I really want the set...

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 22:07:45 »
+1 for a good purple Donatello

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 23:10:22 »
Damn, now I really do want a TMNT set! Haha. Let's make a Donatello happen!

Cheers,

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 23:43:56 »

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 23:53:20 »
Show Image

Nothing short of pure win.

Cheers,

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 23:54:01 »
Show Image

Those would look great on F5-F8!

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 23:57:44 »
Start a GB for those already... they won't work here. Wrong green, but awesome nonetheless and do want

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 00:00:12 »
I doubt $600 worth of purple will be needed to make these, unfortunately.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 00:03:16 »
Make a green and purple GB! I would be in on that for sure.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 01:05:35 »
If we get the Topre green Id even get 3 keysets!

Offline Batmann

« Reply #143 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 01:40:23 »
I personally don't think the green of the Topre caps is the right green to aim for. Is it just me?

I also have doubts, I find it too electric,
I tend to get bored quicker with flashy things but maybe it's just me,
An in between would be great imho
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2012, 01:42:23 by Batmann »

Offline KeyPop

• * Vendor
  • www.KeyPop.net [키팝.net]
    • KeyPop.net
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 01:46:55 »
Show Image

Extremely good idea! Superb job! ^^

Offline TDub

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 09:51:33 »
Back on topic: I asked sleabo (qwerkeys) on his subforum and it seams like they will get a color called lime green, which might be more what was originally intended as the color for this set. However the problem is they have a MOQ of 100 on modifiers, which makes groupbuys for whole sets more complicated. They will probably also be more expensive then SP.

Personally I would really like to get a Qwerkeys set at some point and Lime Green on Black would definitly be awesome, so just keep it in mind as an option.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 10:10:20 »
color me interested.
I'd also like to see other colors on charcoal like this.
Amber, Blue, and Green.

EDIT: I am not really feeling that toxic color...
Any thoughts on Amber or Blue? It seems like we have plenty of good options with those colors.
After this toxic set I think a light blue color like signature plastics BBQ might also look good on dark or light charcoal. I personally like darker sets now, they seem more functional long term because you can not really notice as much when they get dirty. Also amber is pretty close to orange, and the OCKC set will be orange on light charcoal supposedly. Been waiting weeks for the group buy to get started *shrug*

I like BBJ, but BBQ would also work.
Amber looks tougher... YBP is too yellow.. the rest are too orange. Oh well.

Looking forward to a BBJ and Charcoal set.

Offline SwissFTW

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 10:27:49 »
Mark me interested for a set!

WhiteFox  | HHKB Pro 2 | KBT Pure MX Browns | CM Storm MX Browns | Ducky YOTD MX Browns | Ducky Shine II MX Browns
    TrueFox

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 10:42:06 »
I doubt $600 worth of purple will be needed to make these, unfortunately.
It wouldn't be a direct match but you could dyesub purple onto it since its darker than lime green. Not sure how the color would need to be adjusted since its being printed on lime vs white though. Just a possibility, I agree it sucks we don't have any purples to work with.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 17:49:35 »
Show Image

I think to save a $45 legend fee we should pick one of these two flasks or create a new one. On the 1.25 set the flask we choose will be the two windows keys, and the bubbles will be the menu key. I guess we can add a regular menu key to the extra keys section which will already contain two regular windows keys.

How should we handle the Winkeyless 1.5x piece of the set? Does everyone want keys that say "Control" and "Alt" or would everyone be happy with two flasks and two bubbles? If people DO want the text keys, should we do one flask and bubbles or two flasks and two bubbles? I want the legends to be large and look good on the 1.25 and 1.5x size keys and don't really want to pay more $45 legend fees to make small versions just for the 1x size keys in the winkeyless set so those will probably just be diamonds.

Also I'm curious is this the kind of toxic green that people would like to see? Because I think the topre "lime" is pretty close, but we could always just figure out an appropriate pantone number.

Man this image is making me think I want a Lambda and Black Mesa logo keys...
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2012, 17:57:51 by danielucf »