Author Topic: Keycap leftovers - how do you recycle?  (Read 701 times)

Offline mk

Keycap leftovers - how do you recycle?
« on: Mon, 01 April 2024, 11:58:40 »
Hi Geekhack.

After you have kitted out your keyboard, how do you recycle the leftover SP/GMK/etc caps? Until now I have just sorted it as plastics, but after hearing about that some 3d printing plastics like PLA should not go into the other plastics, I am becoming unsure I am doing it the right way.

Can I still sort ABS/PBT/PC into plastics at the recycling center? Is this the same for all countries?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: Keycap leftovers - how do you recycle?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 April 2024, 15:58:10 »
I grind them up for terrazzo floors and cafe tables.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 April 2024, 09:57:26 »
Hi Geekhack.

After you have kitted out your keyboard, how do you recycle the leftover SP/GMK/etc caps? Until now I have just sorted it as plastics, but after hearing about that some 3d printing plastics like PLA should not go into the other plastics, I am becoming unsure I am doing it the right way.

Can I still sort ABS/PBT/PC into plastics at the recycling center? Is this the same for all countries?

You don't. You place them in a plastic bag, then into a box under your bed/in your closet. I would never toss any of my keycaps. Mostly because certain sets are near impossible to find. A lot of SP sets were made in batches of less than a few hundred. Some under 100 sets total. To throw away caps would prevent resale (if ever wanted) or if you want to try a new layout.

The only caps I have ever contemplated tossing were Alps caps from boards I used to harvest switches from. Only the switch has value to me. But best bet would be to just ask the recycling plant by calling them .
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline Zeus501

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 08:31:23 »
After a bit of research, it looks like ABS and PBT plastics are possible to recycle. However, you may need to send them to a specialized facility to recycled them.

I wouldn't recommend tossing the keycaps in case you ever decide to use them on a different board.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 09:08:14 »
Here in Sweden, it is only plastic packaging that goes into recycling, and only plastic packaging has a Resin identification code on it somewhere: so it can be sorted into the correct pile.
Other things can be of plastic alloys that are not pure enough of one type of plastic to be sorted that way.

I have always thought that to be too limited. I want all plastic to be recycled. Plastics are such wonderful, useful materials, and the raw materials: oil, is actually a limited resource that we'd also want to limit even more for other reasons.

I'd offer them for sale: or rather, in effect giving them away but asking for a little reimbursement for your time, postage and packaging for doing so.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 09:29:02 »
* HoffmanMyster types long rant about keycaps

Date: 01 April 2024

* HoffmanMyster deletes long rant about keycaps