Author Topic: [GB] SA Retro [Closed]  (Read 527838 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Re: [GB] SA Retro
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 22:19:52 »
I really wish there were more people using their 60%'s with 1.75 Up 1.25 Left Down Right's :)

Or I should probably need to join the initial brainstorming phases of the group buys :)

Is it possible to get 1.25/1.75 blanks in TBN? (I'm guessing not, but asking just in case - I'm not even sure yet whether I'm going to join, it will probably be a last minute call for me)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline loktar

« Reply #301 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 22:26:32 »

Haha loading from the disks was such a nightmare, even from the 1571. Now you can get a SDIEC II or a 1541 Ultimate along with a JiffyDos chip and games load almost instantly. Never been a better time to be a C64 owner :).

I wonder how hard C64's are to find these days?

Not too hard actually, there are quite a few on Ebay at any point in time, they go anywhere from $50-$200 depending on condition/box, ect. so many were sold they aren't really a rare item fortunately.

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #302 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 01:51:00 »
Number one boobie right here...I like colors...besides...having true retro around would cause me to seek further purchase of said original Commodore 64...I really do miss mine, even though practically every game I had on 5.25 floppy disk took 30 minutes to load. Those were the days

Just kidding, mate. burgundy is very elegant, true retro is for the dinosaurs like me :)

I wonder how hard C64's are to find these days?

Actually they are very easy to find (and cheap)

I'm new when it comes to mechanical keyboards for the most part, I just got a Quick Fire Rapid, and a Poker 3 and I just had one (newbish) question, the base set will fit both of those fine right? They look like they have 1.25's but its not a small amount of money so I just wanted to be absolutely sure before pulling the trigger.

Yes, the base kit is all you need. But I'd take some extras if I were you to increase the resell value and to be on a safe spot in case you buy a new keyboard :)

Is it possible to get 1.25/1.75 blanks in TBN? (I'm guessing not, but asking just in case - I'm not even sure yet whether I'm going to join, it will probably be a last minute call for me)

You could use 1.75 "shift" for up. Unfortunately we don't have 1.25u blanks but there should be enough 1.25 around to make it work. You may try to ask Massdrop if they have some TBN around for sale, you never know...

------

GUYS! Last 3 days!

Offline flamf

« Reply #303 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 02:53:26 »
Two questions:
1: How does one go about increasing one's order?
2: Is it correct, that the ISO set only contains one enter key, which is Lime?

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #304 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 03:06:11 »
Two questions:
1: How does one go about increasing one's order?
2: Is it correct, that the ISO set only contains one enter key, which is Lime?

1. make a new order and do not pay. contact ctralt store giving both order numbers and your paypal account.
2. yes, only 1 ISO enter sorry.

Offline flamf

« Reply #305 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 06:32:20 »
Thanks. As I'm not certain what my desires will require, I had better secure myself for all possible lay-outs  ;)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #306 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 06:56:10 »
Thanks. As I'm not certain what my desires will require, I had better secure myself for all possible lay-outs  ;)

A very astute individual here, making sure he gets all the necessary sets for now and future keyboard acquisitions, good show what  8) .

Offline Jedi

« Reply #307 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 13:42:40 »
I second Elrick on this one.  Its simple, this set is a MUST HAVE guys.  Quit staring at this page and make this happen for the community and the entire design team.  This is the first True Retro SA keycap set.  For goodness sakes, THE MAN is giving you a VIM key, PETSCII keys, and keys for every board you could need.  I mean the only bonus this set is missing is a BroCap to crown the finish. 
This thread is nearing 12,000 views.  Guys the IC is OVER, we got LESS than 72 hours to show this truly spectacular set as much love as it deserves.  There ain't gonna be an extension and we're all gonna be kicking ourselves for not giving CTL.ALT the love they deserve.  Support this project so we can get more SA keycaps of our beloved faves. 

Matt3o, Bunny, CTL.ALT.IO thank you.  GH is gonna support you on this one and for the rest of us not already confirming our orders, you're gonna be kicking yourself for not supporting the creator.   ;D :D :thumb:

And don't forget all your boards that you need this for, JD's, Ergo's, Infin's, y'all know what to do.
:micdrop

Offline zenless

« Reply #308 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 14:09:46 »
Added the numpad set to my order!

Offline ImDaBaron

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 14:22:54 »
I'm trying to decide if I need this or not

Offline TheCowGod

« Reply #310 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 14:49:20 »
OK, you guys convinced me :) I finally jumped off the fence. In for a True Retro, Lime, and Dvorak set. First GB! Can't wait.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #311 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 15:08:46 »
After seeing TBN here: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/absblackbrown.jpg I'm also having a hard time resisting the True Retro

Is there any guarantee the molding is going to be better with this GB compared to the Hack'd by Geeks one? (The row1's are beasts, tilted row1's draw too much attention, tickles my OCD)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline zenless

« Reply #312 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 17:28:43 »
I'm trying to decide if I need this or not

If you're asking that question you probably do.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #313 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 19:13:37 »
After seeing TBN here: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/absblackbrown.jpg I'm also having a hard time resisting the True Retro

Is there any guarantee the molding is going to be better with this GB compared to the Hack'd by Geeks one? (The row1's are beasts, tilted row1's draw too much attention, tickles my OCD)

This is ONLY my feeble opinion here BUT Hack'd by Geeks was made when Melissa was off having her baby hence the trouble had set it's course.  No one at the factory bothered to do any Q&A so we got the delivery of some deformed keys.

Now the illustrious woman is back in charge so hopefully no more badly formed keys makes their way into anyone's mailbox or keyboard.

The good thing here is that SP will re-make any keys if you receive any that are deformed, hence always good having that as a firm back-up.  So when anyone gets their keys delivered ALWAYS break them out and start attaching them to some keyboards to see for yourself.

Offline loktar

« Reply #314 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 19:25:12 »
Just paid for the True Retro and the Green Modifiers, can't WAIT!

Its probably been asked, but this is my first time doing a group buy like this, whats the average turn around time after it ends? I assume at least a month or two but just curious.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #315 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 19:26:43 »
OK, you guys convinced me :) I finally jumped off the fence. In for a True Retro, Lime, and Dvorak set. First GB! Can't wait.

YES, True Retro and Lime is what I also selected in my package as well, great minds think alike  8) .

To all the fence sitters out there, once this passes into history and you missed out on getting some thoroughly decent Retro Key-sets into your humble keyboards, spare a thought for the poor losers sitting on the sidelines lamenting their existence and hating themselves for an eternity, in missing out on owning this unique Matt3o inspired C64 key-set.

The chance of owning rare Art is extremely rare these days so be one of the special key-cap connoisseur's that has this wondrous set, that shall tickle their fingers whilst they work and play with any keyboard.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #316 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 19:30:20 »
Just paid for the True Retro and the Green Modifiers, can't WAIT!

Its probably been asked, but this is my first time doing a group buy like this, whats the average turn around time after it ends? I assume at least a month or two but just curious.

Brilliant choice on your key-sets buddy  :thumb: .

Turnaround on these to have them made and shipped would probably be more like 3 months, but BunnyLake may provide a more precise timeline.

Offline ImDaBaron

« Reply #317 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 19:58:19 »
Alright you guys convinced me. I'm just trying to figure out which ones to get. I think I'll go with true Retro the keypad and Lime.

Offline Zeromachina

« Reply #318 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 07:14:17 »
finally grabbed a true retro set.
 i had drooled over the first run of these keys and had looked through the classifieds for a set, it still took me till the end to grab these. sigh

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #319 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 12:42:57 »
Picked up more stuff for SA retro:

Big Spacebars
Blanks x4
Burgundy Numberpad
Alternate Functions
Pro Burgundy Mods(for some reason I don't think I'll need this though)
Retro Burgundy

I contacted the store to combine orders but now I'm wondering if I'm missing something vital in my order list. 

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #320 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 12:59:59 »

Big Spacebars
Blanks x4
Burgundy Numberpad
Alternate Functions
Retro Burgundy

I contacted the store to combine orders but now I'm wondering if I'm missing something vital in my order list.

you do miss PETSCII!

Offline teuf

« Reply #321 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 13:49:24 »
Ordered PETSCII, Retro Burgundy, Pro Burgundy, Lime, blanks, small spacebars and Ergodox! I could not convince myself to pick Dvorak or Intl-FR even though I use these 2 layouts :(

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #322 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 14:20:55 »

Big Spacebars
Blanks x4
Burgundy Numberpad
Alternate Functions
Retro Burgundy

you do miss PETSCII!

BUT!  I'm trying to have matching keysets with my DSA retro!  I thought it would look funny if one had petscii and the other didn't

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #323 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 14:46:04 »
Have enough for everything I want (True Retro, Alt. Functions, Lime) other than PETSCII. I might have to sell another set of caps I have been hoarding in my closet.

Offline HungryPillow

« Reply #324 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 16:46:57 »
I just tried to place my order and it said something about not being able to charge an account without an active card. I went to look at my account profile and I see my order # with an animated blue processing icon next to it. Does this mean my order actually went through? Could someone help double check to confirm? I don't want to miss out on these keys lol... I used the same username as my GeekHack name. Thanks :)
Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Filco Majestouch MX Blues | Corsair K70 RGB MX Browns | Ducky Shine 4 MX Clears / Browns | WhiteFox Aria MX Browns

Offline loktar

« Reply #325 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 17:14:17 »
I just tried to place my order and it said something about not being able to charge an account without an active card. I went to look at my account profile and I see my order # with an animated blue processing icon next to it. Does this mean my order actually went through? Could someone help double check to confirm? I don't want to miss out on these keys lol... I used the same username as my GeekHack name. Thanks :)

I had a similar issue, I contacted them through support and just did it via paypal, haha my only worry is one says unpaid and the other says processing, I'm hoping its because when you pay with paypal they have to manually mark it.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #326 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 17:23:23 »

I had a similar issue, I contacted them through support and just did it via paypal, haha my only worry is one says unpaid and the other says processing, I'm hoping its because when you pay with paypal they have to manually mark it.

yeah we manually mark all paypal payments as paid in one go when the buy ends
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline HungryPillow

« Reply #327 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 17:28:06 »
Thanks, I will try to contact them through support.
Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Filco Majestouch MX Blues | Corsair K70 RGB MX Browns | Ducky Shine 4 MX Clears / Browns | WhiteFox Aria MX Browns

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #328 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 17:31:28 »

just use the form and hit me with an order number and pp email and i can invoice you tomorrow

Offline HungryPillow

« Reply #329 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 17:38:44 »

just use the form and hit me with an order number and pp email and i can invoice you tomorrow

Done, thank you.

Offline pkircher

« Reply #330 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 18:11:51 »
order is in and payed thanks samuel :)

lime / true retro / ergo / colemak and 10 blanks should be good enough for the kinesis .. and if it does not fit i put it on the ergodox

ive been drooling for the dsa set .. but did not make the move ..

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #331 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 18:23:03 »
ive been drooling for the dsa set .. but did not make the move ..
hm.... SA?

Offline pkircher

« Reply #332 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 18:28:10 »
well as i sayed ive seen SA on the kinesis already .. need to test it for my self .. ive been drooling over the DSA retro but by the time i did not think that i wanted it that badly .. now .. i gona test the sa .. >

ill see how it fits on the kinesis and if it doesnt .. no harm done ..
it doesnt look to bad right now

got an ergodox as well which could use new caps so etherway one of them will get a fresh look

« Last Edit: Sun, 31 May 2015, 18:31:23 by pkircher »

Offline rickyhobby

« Reply #333 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 21:37:39 »
I just (finally) added the PETSCII to my buy.  So I'm looking at:

2 - base True retro
2 - PETSCII
2 - big spacebars
1 - alt functions
1 - numberpad
1 - lime
1 - colemak and dovark

for a total of $394 - yikes!

Good times, good times...

Rick
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 May 2015, 21:41:35 by rickyhobby »
Cherry blue 104 w/1976 SA | Cherry red 87 w/Dolch DSA

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #334 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 23:15:33 »
Just barely came up with enough for my order of True Retro, PETSCII, Alt Functions, and Lime!

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #335 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 23:55:43 »
Matteo, you're really killin me here. Just bought in for true retro, numpad and extra mods... Everything you design is so irresistible.

On another note, my first SA buy! I've got high hopes for da feels

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #336 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 00:17:34 »
I decided to skip this GB as I can't get 1.25/1.75 R4 blanks in TBN - even R3 ones would do

I've been using placeholder keys for my 1.75/1.25/1.25/1.25 arrow cluster, however it's unoptimal, I don't want to continue going on like this, SP also lacks in the SA blanks department and will probably keep on lacking SA blanks in the near future

I might regret it later on, but let it be :)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #337 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 00:23:41 »
Matteo, you're really killin me here. Just bought in for true retro, numpad and extra mods... Everything you design is so irresistible.

Anything touched by Matt3o goes GOLD  :thumb: .

He's a gifted individual and knows how to apply it easily hence his key-sets are always to die for.  Retro has severely gaped my wallet and it's now permanently bow-legged as it resides in my pocket.

Not easy to be a Geekhacker now because there is so much on offer it's like some huge harem of delectable choices, you have time to only go for one or two at any given time frame  ::) .

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #338 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 00:25:54 »

Anything touched by Matt3o goes GOLD  :thumb: .

He's a gifted individual and knows how to apply it easily hence his key-sets are always to die for.  Retro has severely gaped my wallet and it's now permanently bow-legged as it resides in my pocket.

Not easy to be a Geekhacker now because there is so much on offer it's like some huge harem of delectable choices, you have time to only go for one or two at any given time frame  ::) .

I've always got future proof fear too, so I can never pass up the additional mod packs. I've taken on jobs I wouldn't have otherwise just to finance keycap stuff, I feel like a changed man. No longer lazy :D

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #339 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 00:56:06 »
Less than 24 hours left!

https://ctrlalt.io/buys/sa-retro

go ahead, regret forever, do not buy now.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #340 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 01:44:16 »
I can't seem to let this one go, considering getting a GON 75% to go with this #FOMO #YOLO

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #341 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 03:05:19 »
I can't seem to let this one go, considering getting a GON 75% to go with this #FOMO #YOLO

A brand NEW GON TKL with a fresh set of Retro's attached, shall have everyone here on Geekhack GREEN with envy  8) .

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #342 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 03:09:18 »
Hi all!

When the IC for this keycap set got posted I was dead set to go all in if an ISO Nordic kit would be available, which I requested in the IC thread. Then the Orion V2 GB happened and I had already committed to the Granite set on Massdrop. The dark reality slowly started to set in that I would not afford the SA Retro set with the ISO Nordic kit :(

Last night i re-visited ctrlalt.io to give it yet another thought. Slowly I started to realize that it would probably be a loooong wait before a great set like the Retro with ISO Nordic kit would be available again. So I decided to pull some money out of my savings account (which is only intended for emergencies and vacations) and placed my order.

Reason for writing this reply is to encourage others to do the same and pull the trigger on ISO language kits in this GB. If only a few orders on ISO language kits get placed we might not see any more kits at all in the future!  :eek:

Why do I fear this? Well.. I've seen this discussion and comments all over the place. The community shouts for ISO kits in their native language but when the GB finally happens, only few kits get ordered. I fear that great members like Matt3o will stop making language kits available in future GBs. I am very new to the community and my statement might be wrong. Still I've seen this discussion hence my fears.

So to ALL of you who crave ISO kits in your native language. Beg, borrow, steal... Well, maybe not steal but sell some **** on eBay and buy this set!  :thumb:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #343 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 03:13:04 »
I've taken on jobs I wouldn't have otherwise just to finance keycap stuff, I feel like a changed man. No longer lazy :D

Geekhack will change a lot of people here, you either become so frustrated and confused or you become flexible and persistent in your quest to acquire these awesome rarities.

For myself, had to become a bum-boy to someone I truly despise simply because they pay quite well but the object here is to sacrifice a little to get a lot back in time  :thumb: .

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #344 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 03:29:29 »
Why do I fear this? Well.. I've seen this discussion and comments all over the place. The community shouts for ISO kits in their native language but when the GB finally happens, only few kits get ordered. I fear that great members like Matt3o will stop making language kits available in future GBs. I am very new to the community and my statement might be wrong. Still I've seen this discussion hence my fears.

So to ALL of you who crave ISO kits in your native language. Beg, borrow, steal... Well, maybe not steal but sell some **** on eBay and buy this set!  :thumb:

thank for your post. unfortunately it is very unlikely that I will release more FR-IT kits in the future. DE/Nordic might still work, but there simply not enough interest for other languages.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #345 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 03:31:06 »
Hi all!

When the IC for this keycap set got posted I was dead set to go all in if an ISO Nordic kit would be available, which I requested in the IC thread. Then the Orion V2 GB happened and I had already committed to the Granite set on Massdrop. The dark reality slowly started to set in that I would not afford the SA Retro set with the ISO Nordic kit :(

Last night i re-visited ctrlalt.io to give it yet another thought. Slowly I started to realize that it would probably be a loooong wait before a great set like the Retro with ISO Nordic kit would be available again. So I decided to pull some money out of my savings account (which is only intended for emergencies and vacations) and placed my order.

Reason for writing this reply is to encourage others to do the same and pull the trigger on ISO language kits in this GB. If only a few orders on ISO language kits get placed we might not see any more kits at all in the future!  :eek:

I also similarly ordered Granite's that I probably won't use

The main reason is SP's ****ty molding, with dark keys you don't notice issues much, yet with white keys like Granite, they are amplified significantly, I noticed this when I was using one of my Eve sets, they all had different footprints and W key was side molded for some reason which messed things further
It's really hard to pull off white keys

It's going to cost 278$'s - but I will probably join this GB too

I also intend to start selling some of my keycap sets, otherwise I can't justify the costs

I really really really hope you push SP on this drop to let the keycaps cool off properly after molding, on the Hack'd by Geeks set some R1's are slightly tilted, it becomes an issue if the plate is stainless steel or white, the imperfections/tilts are easily noticable from the shadow lines - if the plate is black, the shadow blends in with the plate and the imperfections are suppressed

Offline potatowire

« Reply #346 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 08:36:58 »
Psst...I just increased my SA Retro order...Don't you want *more* Retro goodness in your life too?

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #347 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 09:06:44 »
we saw a speed bump in the last 24 hours and finally SA Retro is looking the way we wanted it. True retro and numpads are still a little below the expectations but all in all the GB came together pretty well :)

Last few hours! Keep ordering I will not run round 2! :P

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #348 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 09:07:46 »
Hi all!

I also similarly ordered Granite's that I probably won't use

The main reason is SP's ****ty molding, with dark keys you don't notice issues much, yet with white keys like Granite, they are amplified significantly, I noticed this when I was using one of my Eve sets, they all had different footprints and W key was side molded for some reason which messed things further
It's really hard to pull off white keys

It's going to cost 278$'s - but I will probably join this GB too

I also intend to start selling some of my keycap sets, otherwise I can't justify the costs

I really really really hope you push SP on this drop to let the keycaps cool off properly after molding, on the Hack'd by Geeks set some R1's are slightly tilted, it becomes an issue if the plate is stainless steel or white, the imperfections/tilts are easily noticable from the shadow lines - if the plate is black, the shadow blends in with the plate and the imperfections are suppressed

i went through tons of sets looking for your issue sir, what i think is this, there are tiny imperfections on your keyboard, very small marginal differences in the mounting of the switches, which im sure would be within manufacturing margin of error, however with taller keys, like the sa row one, that nominal difference is magnified to the point that its noticeable

ive seen the issue in your pics, and having now gone through about 10 sets, and having nothing similar, it seems strange that you would have so many incorrect keys

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #349 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 10:27:00 »
Submitted my order, set is sweet, definitely not missing out on this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 June 2015, 12:12:33 by nickheller »