Author Topic: [IC] Hailey — SS 75%  (Read 36540 times)

Offline PheonixStarr

[IC] Hailey — SS 75%
« on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:00:01 »
Hailey
A Stainless Steel 75%

On hold. Previously...

More

/) hi geekhack

Ever since I first heard the incredibly light, crisp clack of steel, I've been in love with the idea of a keyboard machined from stainless steel. After a storied, arduous development & 160 hours of renders, I'm finally ready to present Hailey, a stainless steel 75%. Its swooping lower assembly draws obvious inspiration from 159's illustrious Kepler keyboard, and a mirror-polished stainless steel finish adds an elegant touch to the piece. A delightful juxtaposition of gentle curves and hard angles, Hailey sits as a statement piece on your desktop, but still remains aesthetically neutral enough to fit most themes.

> DISCORD <

UPDATES

11/15/19 — On Renders & Prices...

yee yee renders

The price for the board has been finalized at $750... though I'm sure many of you might already know that after the recent events that transpired. The plate options are also solidified—carbon fiber, carbon fiber ISO, aluminum, brass, and POM. All are priced at $30 each. PCBs will go for $55 each. Note that the extra PCBs won't ship with a daughterboard, nor will I be carrying extras in stock at Keylace. Your Hailey kit will ship with two HERA-C boards by default.

11/11/19 — On ANSI & ISO...

Alright, so I finished the PCB. The board will support ISO (both enter and left shift). There's been a decent number of respondents on ISO options, so I will be offering a carbon fiber ISO-only plate.

11/7/19 — On Good News & Bad News...

Hey, I got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that Hailey will be priced at a much more reasonable number that is not $850. The bad news is that I have to remove the PVD option entirely.

The thing about PVD finishes is that QC'ing them is secretly the tenth circle of hell. I wouldn't be willing to accept even a tiny burr mark, and that's incredibly hard to guarantee on a workpiece of this size. I thought limiting it to ten-ish units would be feasible, but at that point we'd be paying almost twice the price just for a shiny butt. In conclusion—I can't go volume production because of QC, and I can't do limited production because of price. I've very sadly then struck PVD from the offering entirely. I promise I would really love to have it, but it's simply not the move.

Meanwhile, things developed with the Kagami finish. Turns out, my manufacturer isn't intending to polish the internals of the lower, which means the non-exposed faces will be left with a raw, machined finish. I must concede—it is very careless to sell a half-assed workpiece for a retail north of $700, but I honestly cannot devise any other solutions. I should clarify, though, that all external faces will be polished to a mirror standard, which means you won't see any of the raw texture unless you peer into the USB port.

The surfaces marked in blue, as well as the housing for the daughterboard, will be left with a raw machined finish.
This is a much cheaper alternative to polishing everything, which is both prohibitively expensive and minutely impossible in some corners.
Anecdotally, this also improves sound signature, but I'm not entirely sure how that works. Something to do with a diffuse surface vs glossy.

There is at least one more piece of good news. Engraving through CNC wasn't an option for the Kagami finish because it wouldn't be possible to polish the engraving. I realized, though, that I could just laser "Hailey" onto the rear! I've always wanted to do a laser engraving on a keyboard somewhere; I just haven't had the right keeb until now. Personally, I think the contrast of a mirrored surface against a matte engraving would look great. I'll have some renders up for that later.

Also, before I get any more questions—I am not serializing it. I'm not big on serialized boards, to be honest.

11/6/19 — On Colors and PVD...

Okay, I admittedly did not expect to update this quick, but that's my fault for pushing out a slightly rushed IC.

Big thanks to 159 as well as some others for warning me about the insane QC for PVD parts (and keyboards at large). After some deliberation, I've decided to limit the buy to 75 units of Hailey. As suggested by Rensuya, mirror-polished stainless steel will be made available as an option. Personally, I was rather surprised that this was a pretty well-received feature. In order to reduce the price tag (and also issues with polishing), I've very unfortunately decided to remove the engraving at the bottom of the board. It's on the bottom, anyway; you'll never see it. The mirror-polished Kagami finish will be priced lower than the PVD coating in a vain attempt to keep the quantity of that latter finish low. I should note, however, that there will be a limit of ten units for the PVD coating, for those who really want that shiny rose gold tone.

From lack of interest, I've dropped the Ano. "Nightingale Blue" upper and the PVD "Onyx Black" lower from the lineup. I've also modified the daughterboard cutout to keep things a little more sensical.

SPECIFICATIONS

Aluminum 6063-T6 upper + beadblasted & anodized or electrophoretic coating finish
      Stainless steel 304L lower assembly + mirror-polished finish & a laser-engraved logotype.
             Personally, I find it quite convenient to be able to buff & polish away any scratches. This is something I do on watches and other stainless steel-made wear, so I imagine it won't be much different with a keyboard.
      Carbon fiber plate suspended in a full isolation mount, supported by custom-cut shock absorbent PORON strips.
             A brass & an aluminum plate will also be available for an added sum. It won't be much, though. And as per usual, the plate files will be made publicly available at the conclusion of the buy phase.
      An Alps EC11 rotary encoder with a click switch. Unlike the renders, knobs will be knurled on the sides. It is made of aluminum and available in silver and black.
             The encoder uses a standard 6mm D-shaped post, should you wish to use your own rotary knob.
      Custom "May" PCB; with an ARM STM32 chip, ESD & overcurrent protection, and the HERA-C daughterboard.
             Keylace will offer, for as cheap as possible, extra May PCBs & Hailey-type HERA-C daughterboards in case yours goes yoink. Each Hailey will ship with two HERA-Cs.
             Please note, also, that I design in the 19mm spacing.
      Two adhesive-backed silicone rubber feet, custom-cut
      5.5° typing angle

I'll be running Hailey as an FCFS GB through my site Keylace.co, which will soon be launching to carry Cygnus. Mid-December, three prototype units will be shown and sent out to streams.

SALES

Price — $750. Add plates for $30, add PCB for $55.

Quantity — I am still oscillating on this matter. Currently, the board has a 75 unit limit. At 100, the Cost of Goods for the board itself goes down, and if this is the case, I would very much like to use this extra overhead to focus on better presentation, packaging, and fine-tune the board at large (essentially, instead of reducing the price, I offer a better product than budget would've otherwise allowed).

Shipping — USPS.

Lead Time — Three months, give or take. I should note that the shipping phase won't take long, as I have about half a dozen people assigned to packaging & logistics.

IC FORM

RENDERS
Note: the renders are representative, and while I try to show what I want to sell, they are not 100% indicative of final colors, finishes, or other product options.

Please be aware that the ano. "Nightingale Blue" Upper & rose gold/black PVD Lowers are no longer offered. Additionally, contrary to renders, the stock knobs will be knurled on the sides. I'll have more renders posted soon to reflect the changes.

SPECIAL THANKS

...to 159 for providing early feedback, the Kepler TKL, & saving me from the sheer hell of QC'ing a hundred PVD parts;
...to Rensuya & senter for suggesting the Kagami mirror-polished stainless steel finish;
...to driftingbunnies for consultation on sale quantities and the "Hailey" engraving;
...to enome for reminding me to make a Discord server and being an excellent wall to which I could bounce ideas off, as well as an amazing source of support;
...to mrpetrov for also being an excellent wall;
...and to you for reading, especially if you left a comment :)

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2019, 19:53:32 by PheonixStarr »

Offline mrpetrov

Re: [IC] Hailey — A Stainless Steel 75%
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:03:32 »
Very intrigued.

It’s like the love child of a Kepler and a Satisfaction75, which I mean as a massive compliment!

Planning a proto?

Also, I think I recall those long bumpon strips being a bit prone to peeling off over time, but I could be mistaken.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2019, 23:09:18 by mrpetrov »

Offline Monday.io

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:04:17 »
Id buy it 100%

Offline mydens

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:05:41 »
Why not stainless steel on top? its the best thing about the board and your hiding it.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:08:19 »
Very interesting board. I really enjoy the look and the rotary encoder. How much cheaper would it be to run with an aluminum lower assembly? It seems like a lot more machining is involved to produce the lower assembly. Other than added weight, I personally don't see a need to go with stainless steel given the added costs.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline chriszhu

• (* ̄(エ) ̄*)''
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:11:01 »
Ohhhh, looks interesting!

Offline Quinella

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:14:40 »
Failed No Nut November to Hailey.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:18:35 »
YES!!!!!! I was seriously thinking about the 7V but instead of a logo put a rotary encoder! I really like how it looks like it's floating from the side shot. I'm all in for this.

Offline 002 DC

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:25:47 »
 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

when

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:27:16 »
I'm glad to see another stainless steel custom coming out. Why PVD finish on the steel tho?
PVD brass is commonly used in the community. Steel is almost the same heavy as brass and it looks exactly the same as well when both are PVDed.
It's would be a shame when you bring something new but it doesn't seem like so.
I agree with Norbauer's take on naked stainless steel. The look is unique and the maintainability is a great feature. You can read his full comments here

Offline NoxNoxNox

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:27:28 »
Oh this is up my alley. 

Offline naked_and_jameson

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:28:39 »
I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the IC form link isn't working.

Offline ilemondrop

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:31:48 »
This looks amazing, like probably one of the nicest boards I've seen during my 4 months in the hobby so far. I'm definitely in the wrong tax bracket for this board, I'd be open for a full body aluminum for the broke bois like me.

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:32:54 »
hi I fixed the ic form sorry for being DUMB

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:41:16 »
I do not think an unlimited buy for something involving something so painfully QC involved as PVD should be an unlimited group buy. I would recommend you set a hard limit to preserve the quality of the keyboard as well as your personal sanity.

Offline ptiede

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:46:29 »
I am definitely considering this. Although I do have a kepler on the way :p

Offline ab042896

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 20:35:15 »
POM plate sounds interesting. Also if going with PVD on the steel, why such limited choice on the colours?

Offline SlurmsMacKenzie

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 20:36:23 »
This looks like an awesome keyboard.  How might an all stainless steel base compare with an all brass like Kepler vs an aluminum base? I assume the sound and possibly the feel would be different, but anyway to describe the difference? Thanks

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 20:48:01 »
Planning a proto?

Oh, yeah, for sure. Three prototypes will be produced (two to be sold off at discount, by the way) and shown.

I do not think an unlimited buy for something involving something so painfully QC involved as PVD should be an unlimited group buy.

You may be right, yeah. I might have to cap Hailey to 50 units or less, considering the PVD. I heard it's pretty insane getting the coating flawless on workpieces like the lower.

if going with PVD on the steel, why such limited choice on the colours?

PVD is expensive, bro

How might an all stainless steel base compare with an all brass like Kepler vs an aluminum base?

Hailey's SS lower is mostly an exercise in acoustics; the sound of brass is quite dark and dead, as brass isolates the sound signature to just the switches. Aluminum is pretty light and hollow in my opinion (although excellent case design can make it thocky). In any case, Hailey isn't looking for a thock as much as a super light, crisp "clack," if that makes any sense.

Offline SlurmsMacKenzie

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 21:06:05 »
Planning a proto?

Oh, yeah, for sure. Three prototypes will be produced (two to be sold off at discount, by the way) and shown.

I do not think an unlimited buy for something involving something so painfully QC involved as PVD should be an unlimited group buy.

You may be right, yeah. I might have to cap Hailey to 50 units or less, considering the PVD. I heard it's pretty insane getting the coating flawless on workpieces like the lower.

if going with PVD on the steel, why such limited choice on the colours?

PVD is expensive, bro

How might an all stainless steel base compare with an all brass like Kepler vs an aluminum base?

Hailey's SS lower is mostly an exercise in acoustics; the sound of brass is quite dark and dead, as brass isolates the sound signature to just the switches. Aluminum is pretty light and hollow in my opinion (although excellent case design can make it thocky). In any case, Hailey isn't looking for a thock as much as a super light, crisp "clack," if that makes any sense.

Sure, makes sense. I appreciate the reply.  I'm in the market for a 75%, will definitely keep an eye out for this one.  I love how you designed the cut out on side of the top half to allow the weight to peek out. Looks really nice.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 21:07:09 »

Will there be any other options for the bottom piece other than PVD? I ask because I can guarantee I won't be one of the first 50.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 21:13:42 »
Great board.

Is that GMK lux or a set of similar nature?

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 21:14:42 »
Will there be any other options for the bottom piece other than PVD? I ask because I can guarantee I won't be one of the first 50.

Considering the QC needed, I'm thinking of limiting the PVD and instead running Hailey with a mirror-polished SS304 lower, which seemed surprisingly popular when I asked around.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 21:16:23 »

Considering the QC needed, I'm thinking of limiting the PVD and instead running Hailey with a mirror-polished SS304 lower, which seemed surprisingly popular when I asked around.

YES!!!! Thank you, kindly!

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 22:00:48 »
This board looks absolutely amazing, I cannot wait for updates!  :thumb:

Offline rondg

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 November 2019, 22:22:34 »
I know the whole theme of the board is it's made of stainless steel, but I hope you consider aluminum on succeeding runs. I am too poor for this :(

Good luck with this one!

Offline 002 DC

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 01:40:36 »
any discord servers for updates/bouncing ideas???

Offline Butterbeer

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 03:01:29 »

If steel is the big selling point then focus on the mirror option would be a good move. As much as I want that Rose Gold, seeing it on two different metals might not work.

I love the idea of a polished Stainless Steel Mirror bottom and if you could add a matching stainless steel top that would be awesome.

The Iron 65 Founders Edition offered a Stainless steel top shell, available in E-white or E-black. I think both would look great when paired with a stainless steel mirror bottom.

Offline Datastream

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 03:27:04 »
Very sexy looking board with every button in the right place but too expensive for my taste. Gonna be a pass from me.

Offline voxkey

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 07:45:06 »
Looking good!

Offline Obamas Mama

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 10:15:50 »
Might have to sell everything I own for this

Offline gasp

• Formerly 'boop' (NTBCW Booper)
    • none
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 11:58:06 »
Absolutely love the look and idea of this board, in love with the potential pvd coated bottom. Price tag is for sure large, but I'm sure justified by the material used. I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 13:49:16 »
Does the knob got click action like analog sticks on a console controller?

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Genn

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 17:41:33 »
I love the overall design, but I can't get behind the idea of a rotary encoder simply because I feel a round cut clashes too much with the overall look of a keyboard. Any chance there could be a different top piece, without the rotary encoder?

Offline dumpling420

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 18:16:25 »
I really dig the board but like others have said I think it's way too expensive for me. I would honestly buy this if it was cheaper and made of aluminium, I don't really consider the material to be that big of a selling point, I think that the looks + the rotary encoder are enough to make this board stand out.

Offline breckstar

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 18:27:03 »
between this and cygnus is a toss up. i want both.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 03:24:04 »
Nice board.  Love the rotary.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 16:04:42 »
I told myself I was going to stop buying keyboards...why did you have to make this beautiful thing?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 18:36:38 »
Lovely design, gonna cost way more than I feel comfortable paying for keyboards though - will be on the lookout for further iterations with alternate materials. Good luck!

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 22:34:11 »
Does the knob got click action like analog sticks on a console controller?

ye

any discord servers for updates/bouncing ideas???

ye

... I hope you consider aluminum on succeeding runs.
... will be on the lookout for further iterations with alternate materials.

ye

Offline SlurmsMacKenzie

Re: [IC] Hailey — SS 75% | PRICE DROP, NEW OFFERINGS, DISCORD SRVR.
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 00:26:47 »
I think it would be nice if there were some branding somewhere on the board, even if subtle or not immediately visible. Establish your brand!  My personal opinion is that it makes a difference, people pay a lot of money for labels on their clothes that no one can see also.

You mentioned that engraving will be difficult with the mirror polish, but what about something like the Keycult No. 2 stainless?  I'm not sure what method he used to put the logo on the bottom, maybe it's more practical?

Or maybe alternately (or in addition) you could offer an artisan encoder knob with your logo on it.

Edit: man, looking at the mirror finish on the Keycult No 2 stainless... It's gonna be beautiful on your board.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 00:31:23 by SlurmsMacKenzie »

Offline enome

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 01:17:42 »
my heart fluttered by the pure awe of Hailey
i need to give this girl my number
my credit card number

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 05:18:29 »
Do you think ISO would be an option?
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 06:59:15 »
I think the PVD black bottom is an excellent choice for the bottom color. Here's hoping that color will make a comeback.

Edit: A Skeletor purple E-coat top would be hella dope. just sayin'
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:40:54 by Robosculpts »

Offline Banzai

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 16:12:02 »
Ooof, I can make no guarantee I would buy it. But if you can keep the price in the $700 ballpark, I can't say for sure willpower will prevent me from owning this. I think you're building my dream board.

Offline ab042896

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 16:17:57 »
Do you have a rear facing render? The bottom looks nice, I'm curious to see how it looks from behind  ;)

Offline CF73

Re: [IC] Hailey — SS 75% | some good news, some bad news
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 01:51:46 »
can't wait for the typing sound test of the protos

Offline Iksion

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 13:04:28 »
Interested :thumb:
KBD75v1 | Kira | Melody96 | TX75v2 | TX-CP | hbcp | Keycult No.2 rev.1 | NK65 | Duck Octagon v3 | Percent Volt | TX65v2 | KY-01 | Sunsetter | Mr. Suit | J-01 | Dolphin 2021 | Phase One 65 | KBD8x Mark ii

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 13:42:03 »
If the idea is that that stainless steel can be polished over time to maintain the look, does it makes sense to have laser engraving on the bottom? Wouldn't that make polishing difficult in the future?

Offline Araex

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 14:11:01 »
Finally someone is giving 75% the thicc bezel it deserves. Interested.

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #50 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 14:20:02 »
Wouldn't that make polishing difficult in the future?

Polishing it is kind of an afterthought, to be honest. As dumb as it sounds, I want to say "just don't scratch your board" near the engraving. It wouldn't be too hard to buff out a nick somewhere else on the piece, though.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 14:57:10 »
If you're going with polished stainless I kind of wish that was an option for the upper piece too for that full DeLorean look.

Offline SlurmsMacKenzie

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 20:13:29 »
If you're going with polished stainless I kind of wish that was an option for the upper piece too for that full DeLorean look.

You can do the silver upper, I think it will look nice (see Keycult No 2 stainless steel)

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 12:35:42 »
In for ISO version. Come on ISO gang  :)

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 08:24:01 »

Yeah, I'm in the ISO gang.   Can we get our own logo and stuff :)

Systems -
More

Keyboards -
More

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 19:38:22 »

Yeah, I'm in the ISO gang.   Can we get our own logo and stuff :)

yes but no

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
Re: [IC] Hailey — SS 75% | i put iso on it r u happy
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 23:05:56 »
Is a rose-gold polished steel base still an option? Or was that idea discarded? The thought of a shiny rose-gold bottom peaking out under a black top sounds magical.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 23:49:00 »
Is a rose-gold polished steel base still an option? Or was that idea discarded? The thought of a shiny rose-gold bottom peaking out under a black top sounds magical.

Right?!

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 02:24:27 »

Right?!
It's a dream board I never knew I wanted till you guys incepted me.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 03:37:20 »
11/11/19 — On ANSI & ISO...

Alright, so I finished the PCB. The board will support ISO (both enter and left shift). There's been a decent number of respondents on ISO options, so I will be offering a carbon fiber ISO-only plate.

Woohoo ..... ISO FTW

Systems -
More

Keyboards -
More

Offline noorejji

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 08:59:15 »
(...) I will be offering a carbon fiber ISO-only plate.
Nice! In that case I suggest making it possible to use both big and small left shift, or just make it a universal plate. I don't think ISO users are as fussy about fixed plates, but I could be wrong.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 09:06:34 »
have you though about including support for a split spacebar?

Offline Weaselpc

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 09:10:56 »
nutty :D

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 13:55:00 »
Interested in Black or White.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 15:23:21 »
Huzzah for ISO ! :)
I'd prefer a fixed plate if that is possible, and yeah CF or brass are both very fine.
This is looking good for a daily driver :)

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 19:51:42 »
have you though about including support for a split spacebar?

no

Offline JinTea

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 23:43:45 »
Losing the engraving's a bummer, but definitely not a deterrent. Really looking forward to how the kagami finish turns out.

Offline sozo

Re: [IC] Hailey — SS 75% | Final price; New renders
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 20:12:44 »
oof definitely going to try to get my hands on this one. One of the best looking boards I've seen to date

Offline Owl

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 20:05:45 »
Stunning board. Love it. Sadly I wont be able to get my hands on one at that price point. Very beautiful though.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 22:15:36 »
What a stunning design. Can't wait for the prototypes.  :thumb:
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline tuxkey

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 16:16:08 »
amazing creation guys.. but way way out of my reach.. can't imagine having to pay shipping to The Netherlands then adding 11% custom fees and 21% VAT over the total that's including shipping. That would make this board well over $900..

But i can appreciate your creation and complement you  :thumb:

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 16:37:55 »
Am I reading it correctly that the price is $750 for just the case, and the plate and pcb need to be purchased at an additional cost as extras? Or are you offering the extras at the additional cost?

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 17:52:37 »
Am I reading it correctly that the price is $750 for just the case, and the plate and pcb need to be purchased at an additional cost as extras? Or are you offering the extras at the additional cost?

$750 for everything. If you want an extra plate or pcb, it will cost extra.

Offline nodicaL

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 23:42:46 »
This is absolutely amazing.
I would love to get this for my first custom keyboard!

Offline prettydouchebag

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 12:47:42 »
Absolutely cannot wait for this GB to start!

Offline JCkingp1n

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 23:06:59 »
anyone got a clue whether or not the rotary encoder will work on a Mac? I get that programming the knob is probably a no but what about using it after it's been set up?

Offline dannyny

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 23:13:07 »
awesome board. is it 750 for the board then $30 for the plate and $55 for the pcb or will the board come with one set of plate and pcb already?

Offline Quinella

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 21:48:57 »
Keylace running out of ideas to steal from so i guess its time to steal some packaging/box designs too for Hailey
damn this is gonna be one big thot of a board.

https://imgur.com/a/K91Sesb

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 08:42:28 »
Keylace running out of ideas to steal from so i guess its time to steal some packaging/box designs too for Hailey

HAHAHA. At this point I'm not even surprised anymore. Looks like its time to chuck someone in the ol' blacklist

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 09:00:22 »

HAHAHA. At this point I'm not even surprised anymore. Looks like its time to chuck someone in the ol' blacklist

I don't understand, is this keyboard design stolen?

Offline dydy124

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 09:23:05 »
Will be following the updates! Keep it up!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 09:23:38 »

From my understanding after reading the Cygnus GB thread, it appears that PheonixStarr was commissioned to design a PCB for Bisoromi's function row-less TKL project. Instead of doing so, PhoenixStarr never shipped the PCBs and decided to start a group buy for their own function row-less TKL project. Apparently they are trying to take orders while still having a large sum of cash frozen in their PayPal account. This is why you see various comments of people talking about stealing designs on all PheonixStarr threads. This is just an amalgamation of points brought up in the Cygnus GB page. I'm sure there are other points that I failed to bring up as well. If you'd like to know more or continue the discussion about the Cygnus then head on over to the GB thread.

Offline SlurmsMacKenzie

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 10:07:45 »

From my understanding after reading the Cygnus GB thread, it appears that PheonixStarr was commissioned to design a PCB for Bisoromi's function row-less TKL project. Instead of doing so, PhoenixStarr never shipped the PCBs and decided to start a group buy for their own function row-less TKL project. Apparently they are trying to take orders while still having a large sum of cash frozen in their PayPal account. This is why you see various comments of people talking about stealing designs on all PheonixStarr threads. This is just an amalgamation of points brought up in the Cygnus GB page. I'm sure there are other points that I failed to bring up as well. If you'd like to know more or continue the discussion about the Cygnus then head on over to the GB thread.

Don't want to derail too much, but that is the accusation.

For OP's part, they have claimed that they were working on Cygnus prior to the commission and it was a coincidence. They posted an image of their Fusion renders that dates back to March.  I don't actually know the timeframe or more details for this particular issue.

The PayPal thing I wrote a post in the Cygnus GB thread that summarizes the issue. I suppose that is relevant here as well I can rehash it if desired.

Edit: sorry it was in the IC thread, here is a copy:

The $14k thing... basically what happened was that there was, not sure what to call it, maybe an unadvertised soft launch, of the website where some early orders of the Cygnus and a different board were allowed.  This was halted after a day, I believe the main reason was sales were higher than expected. It appears OP intended / expected just a couple of people to order and was not comfortable with too many orders.

Maybe a week later, the payment processing company (Square) locked and closed the account.  According to OP, the Square account was not new and was used before, however the guesses given were either the larger amount of money, or the fact that there were several international sales that may have set off red flags.  In any case, When this happens, Square locks the money for 90 days, no exceptions apparently, which would be February. OP has also stated that Square shuts off all customer service after locking the account, so there is no way to allow for refunds.

There are some Cygnus orders in there, however the vast majority of the funds are from the other board.

The payment processor was switched to a new one. OP has reported that they have discussed the business model with the new company before opening the account in the hopes to avoid the same problem.

Currently, it has been stated that previous Cygnus preorders are being honored despite not having access to funds (OP will front the cash until funds get released).

The other board is being delayed until the funds are released.

This is all according to what OP has said.  There are some risks here of course, so it's up to you to decide.

Edit #2: If it's not obvious, the "other board" is the Hailey.  If what OP says is true, then the funds will be unfrozen by the time the Hailey GB starts.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2019, 10:21:55 by SlurmsMacKenzie »

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 10:21:04 »

For OP's part, they have claimed that they were working on Cygnus prior to the commission and it was a coincidence. They posted an image of their Fusion renders that dates back to March.  I don't actually know the timeframe or more details for this particular issue.

The PayPal thing I wrote a post in the Cygnus GB thread that summarizes the issue. I suppose that is relevant here as well I can rehash it if desired.

The $14k thing... basically what happened was that there was, not sure what to call it, maybe an unadvertised soft launch, of the website where some early orders of the Cygnus and a different board were allowed.  This was halted after a day, I believe the main reason was sales were higher than expected. It appears OP intended / expected just a couple of people to order and was not comfortable with too many orders.

Maybe a week later, the payment processing company (Square) locked and closed the account.  According to OP, the Square account was not new and was used before, however the guesses given were either the larger amount of money, or the fact that there were several international sales that may have set off red flags.  In any case, When this happens, Square locks the money for 90 days, no exceptions apparently, which would be February. OP has also stated that Square shuts off all customer service after locking the account, so there is no way to allow for refunds.

There are some Cygnus orders in there, however the vast majority of the funds are from the other board.

The payment processor was switched to a new one. OP has reported that they have discussed the business model with the new company before opening the account in the hopes to avoid the same problem.

Currently, it has been stated that previous Cygnus preorders are being honored despite not having access to funds (OP will front the cash until funds get released).

This is all according to what OP has said.  There are some risks here of course, so it's up to you to decide.

Dang. Stuff like this gets me spooked about groups buys.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 10:37:33 »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 11:19:36 »
More

Dang. Stuff like this gets me spooked about groups buys.

Even if all of this drama did not exist I would still be very hesitant. The GB runner is not very active in their own IC and GB threads. That alone is a red flag to me. However, don't let one rotten apple spoil the bunch for you. There is plenty of successful group buys out there. It is wise to do your due diligence before sending someone money.

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 12:16:44 »
The amount of drama associated with this group buy is already a giant red flag to me. I would expect more peace of mind if I'm gonna be shelling out $750. Makes me appreciate guys like Keycult way more, since they actually give a **** about their customers.

Offline Rew23

Re: [IC] Hailey — SS 75%
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 00:26:09 »
Very interested.

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 02:08:33 »
Surprised this hasn't been linked in here yet for any of those interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/e9tvia/an_apology_to_all/

Offline yap68

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 03:02:36 »
Hoping for a trusted vendor to pick this up and hold a full aluminium version GB because Hailey is truly very well designed.