Author Topic: New switches from Matias -- 2 years in the making  (Read 294673 times)

Offline ValerieV

Re: New switches from Matias -- 2 years in the making
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 20:04:43 »
It's very nice but i just was looking forward to that black one.  :D

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #251 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:45:01 »
It's very nice but i just was looking forward to that black one.  :D

You are crazy for handing in a Silver keyboard with black keys.

I would rip the head off a Cane Toad with my bare teeth, rather than give up a unique "Journalist ONLY" keyboard.

The keyboard you got now is Unique.......don't you get it?

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #252 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:53:25 »
I understand where he's coming from, though. The all-black just looks so much nicer to me.

Not that I wouldn't keep the silver one if it ended up with me, though. ;D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:55:01 »
i think a huge congratulations is in order for matias and everyone he's working with. it's HARD to launch a product, and this launch has hopefully gone as successfully as one can go; lots of press (although of course i wish these bloggers would cite geekhack more often ;D), lots of awareness, and hopefully a lot of orders right out of the gate. currently baiting my breath for the switch packs and datasheets. can't want to design a TKL around these switches :D :D :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 22:16:47 »
The only complaints I've read so far in the comments of blogs is "$150?!? for a keyboard?" but these same folks have no issues dropping $3k on a PC or TV.....

These people are born tossers.  It's in their DNA and can't be helped.  I'm just glad that Matias has the toughest skin of any manufacturer to put up with those type of people who are not interested in contributing anything but only in idiotic Trolling.  Enough said.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #255 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 22:23:37 »
I got the keyboard today and the price is a bit high for this kind of keyboard. I have some minor issues with the build quality (the left Shift button sticks already). I will see when Matias gets back to me regarding exchanging this for the right keyboard that i ordered; they sent me silver and i ordered black. So far, wrong keyboard and a key already giving me problems. Not too happy.  :'(

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #256 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 22:41:25 »
I will see when Matias gets back to me regarding exchanging this for the right keyboard that i ordered; they sent me silver and i ordered black. So far, wrong keyboard and a key already giving me problems. Not too happy.  :'(

Unfortunately it's a prelim keyboard only for Journos.  Hence the quality aspect isn't exactly 100%. 

Don't worry Matias will sort it out, he's a decent Gent and having one customer suffer with his product will get an immediate exchange.

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 23:19:00 »
I got the keyboard today and the price is a bit high for this kind of keyboard. I have some minor issues with the build quality (the left Shift button sticks already). I will see when Matias gets back to me regarding exchanging this for the right keyboard that i ordered; they sent me silver and i ordered black. So far, wrong keyboard and a key already giving me problems. Not too happy.  :'(

Hey Valerie,

The keyboard you got was from the pilot run.  FK313 is the part number for the pilot run units.

As I said, it wasn't supposed to make it out into the wild.  It was built without the use of an assembly jig, so it's not up to the same level of quality as the final production models.

You should get a reply back from Barb tomorrow, arranging a replacement.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #258 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 01:12:23 »
I'd just want to add that no company on earth would give you this kind of support on a community forum. kudos to Matias.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #259 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 05:43:42 »
I definitely appreciate it. I think it is wonderful that a keyboard company has a presence on this website. I have dealt with Matias before and they have always been first class. This was just a glitch and i am sure things will work out.  ;D

Offline Matias

« Reply #260 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 16:55:39 »
I definitely appreciate it. I think it is wonderful that a keyboard company has a presence on this website. I have dealt with Matias before and they have always been first class. This was just a glitch and i am sure things will work out.  ;D

Thanks Valerie -- both for the kind words and the return business.   :)

Offline Matias

« Reply #261 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 17:11:07 »
i think a huge congratulations is in order for matias and everyone he's working with. it's HARD to launch a product, and this launch has hopefully gone as successfully as one can go; lots of press (although of course i wish these bloggers would cite geekhack more often ;D), lots of awareness, and hopefully a lot of orders right out of the gate. currently baiting my breath for the switch packs and datasheets. can't want to design a TKL around these switches :D :D :D

Thanks, we're very happy with how the launch went!  Tonnes of press and lots of orders.

The Quiet Pro is currently out-selling the Tactile Pro.  The new switch has definitely changed the game for us -- not the least of which because we now have PC users also buying it.  The Tactile Pro is Mac-only at the moment.

In the coming weeks, we'll be contacting the various resellers of mechanical keyboards to see about getting them set up.  If any of them read this message and want to get set up now, they can contact us at reseller@matias.ca.

We'll be getting videos/sound clips up soon, along with the datasheet for the switches.  The switches should be going on sale next month, in boxed quantities of 200 and 800.

Thanks again to everyone here for their interest and support!

Offline Matias

Re: Switch photos
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 20:11:23 »
FYI, Diatec (Filco) has posted photos of the new switch on their web site...

http://www.diatec.co.jp/products/det.php?prod_c=1292

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 20:28:44 »
FYI, Diatec (Filco) has posted photos of the new switch on their web site...

http://www.diatec.co.jp/products/det.php?prod_c=1292

Nice....I like that quote, "No ghost in this machine".  8)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #264 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 01:25:25 »

how can't you love the japaneses?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #265 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 02:09:15 »
I'd just like to say I've been having one heck of a time with e-mailing matias help.  For the most part I am unable to use a phone for most of the day's business hours, and e-mail is about the only means of contact I have until the weekend.  Just sent my second email to the help email address help.matias.ca, and my quiet-pro is back in its box.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #266 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 03:18:38 »

They're great.  Remember the Topre's, Fujitsu, NEC, Hitachi, Seiko Epson, Toshiba, Canon, Casio, Citizen, Mitsubishi, Nikon, Nintendo, Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Isuzu, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, and few hundred more of corporations that have literally conquered the world with their products.

I never put down the Japanese no matter what they do.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 04:26:32 »

That quote is from http://matias.ca/tactilepro3/ – credit where it's due etc. :-)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #268 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 04:40:23 »

That quote is from http://matias.ca/tactilepro3/ – credit where it's due etc. :-)

YES, I am a little slow and retarded, please show where that article you linked has quoted/shown "No ghost in this machine"?

I didn't see it written anywhere in that article, please specify the paragraph and sentence just to show the ORIGINAL statement you claim that Matias came up with it first......then I will give the credit.  8)

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #269 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 04:43:12 »
If you're in Windows, press Ctrl+F, or on a Mac, Cmd+F – this handy-dandy feature common to many applications (including browsers) allows you to search for things, generally text.
Bore Awards

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #270 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 04:52:56 »
If you're in Windows, press Ctrl+F, or on a Mac, Cmd+F – this handy-dandy feature common to many applications (including browsers) allows you to search for things, generally text.

The claim that the Japanese use to describe the product has a double meaning aka "No Ghost in the Machine" takes the credit off an anime film titled "Ghost in the Machine" which was released back in 8-3-2009.  I won't go into details what the film was about, you have to see it. 

I personally love their animated movies and quite like their manga releases.  That is why I noticed the article relating to the Matias keyboard when they had to put that film title in there, cheezy but nice.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 04:55:48 by Elrick »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 05:15:56 »
actually, it was Ghost in the shell (at least that's how it reached our market).
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 05:17:57 by Matt3o »

Offline pasph

« Reply #272 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 05:27:44 »
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #273 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 05:44:17 »
actually, it was Ghost in the shell (at least that's how it reached our market).

Yeah, every country re-words the Films, have a look here and see how far it goes;

http://sobadsogood.com/2012/07/18/9-strange-utterly-bewildering-movie-title-translations/

The re-wording is sometimes more accurate than the original title.

Offline pasph

« Reply #274 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 07:06:20 »
I don't think there was a re-wording:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113568/releaseinfo#akas
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
« Reply #275 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 09:52:10 »
Yeah, that phrase is right there on the original Tactile Pro 3 page. Diatec just copied it from Matias's marketing materials.

The phrase "ghost in the machine" that Matias alludes to has been around since 1949: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_machine

Anyway, back on topic... I can't wait to order some switches!
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 10:27:51 »
I'll be interested to see how they compare to complicated black ALPS. Just been using my AT102W and I'm liking the sound and feel a lot more than clears ;-)
Bore Awards

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #277 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 16:54:10 »
Just an update: The good people at Matias have just delivered me the keyboard that I ordered. The did it quickly too! Kudos to Matias for fixing a mistake in a quick manner. Greatly appreciated! Love the black keyboard but what i love just as much as the keys are the 3 USB ports and only one plug needed to plug it in. It is great! :D

Offline Matias

« Reply #278 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 18:36:59 »
Just an update: The good people at Matias have just delivered me the keyboard that I ordered. The did it quickly too! Kudos to Matias for fixing a mistake in a quick manner. Greatly appreciated! Love the black keyboard but what i love just as much as the keys are the 3 USB ports and only one plug needed to plug it in. It is great! :D

Glad you got taken care of, Valerie...

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #279 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 18:42:35 »
What are the official names of the new switches? I don't think "Matias Orange" quite works any more :)

Are the two switches the same, i.e. differing only in the presence or absence of folds in the tactile/click leaf?

(Personally I'd also classify them as Simplified Alps Type V, assuming both are the same design, but I am not the Authority On ALPS Naming!)
Bore Awards

Offline Matias

« Reply #280 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 19:07:51 »
What are the official names of the new switches? I don't think "Matias Orange" quite works any more :)

True enough...

5067-0

Are the two switches the same, i.e. differing only in the presence or absence of folds in the tactile/click leaf?

They're the same on the outside, but differ on the inside...

On the Quiet Switch, the stem has little rubber dampeners, and the tactile leaf is held stationary.

On the Click Switch, there are no dampeners and the tactile leaf is held loosely to allow it to click.

Offline Matias

Review with audio clip
« Reply #281 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 19:30:32 »
TUAW has posted their review of the Quiet Pro, along with an audio clip...

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/28/matias-quiet-pro-silences-the-mechanical-keyboard

FYI, we did some audio recordings today as well -- comparing a Quiet Pro, Tactile Pro, Cherry Brown Das Keyboard, and Cherry Blue Razer Blackwidow.  I gotta say, Razer is MUCH better at package design than the Das guys.  The Das Box Art looked like it was done by a Chinese engineer.

We should have the audio clips up next week...

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #282 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 20:51:37 »
Looking forwards to your recordings – she doesn't say which Tactile Pro that is, and it sounds very different to a TP3. She might be comparing with an original Tactile Pro – before you went to Fuhua, were you using Type I simplified switches from Alps? (The ones that Fuhua took over manufacturing) I don't know whether original Simplified Alps Type I sounded the same as modern Fukkas.
Bore Awards

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #283 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 23:42:41 »
One thing that BW did that was brilliant was providing a cut out on the packaging so you can type on a few keys to see how they will feel.

So, having a "Glory hole" in the packaging would make it better.......mmmmmm.  I think a few guys here would go for that.  ;D

Offline Matias

« Reply #284 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 15:38:00 »
Matias do these switches need breaking in?  When I first got the keyboard I wasn't totally satisfied but after around 18 hours the switches are starting to feel awesome.  I'm not sure if it's the same thing Cherry Blues go through; but it's really starting to feel good now :)

So far typing like my life depends on it my avg from 120-130wpm has jumped to 135-145wpm.

Wow, that's quite the speed jump!

No, there's no breaking in of the switches.  However, if you were using Cherry boards before, you probably weren't accustomed to the extra tactile feedback the Quiet Pro gives you.  Tactile feedback makes it easier to type faster.

Quote from: Matias
I gotta say, Razer is MUCH better at package design than the Das guys.  The Das Box Art looked like it was done by a Chinese engineer.

One thing that BW did that was brilliant was providing a cut out on the packaging so you can type on a few keys to see how they will feel.

Yes, that's really good for customers who want to try before they buy.  Only downside is those keys are more exposed to dust and dirt while it's sitting on the store shelf (or distributor's warehouse).

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #285 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 00:33:59 »
So I've given my Quiet Pro a couple of days of breaking in now, and I really have to say that this was a wonderful purchase. It's such a smooth and wonderful keyboard to type on. Seems extremely tactile to me, much more so than MX Clears are.

I really am curious how the clicky switches will compare.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #286 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 01:15:24 »
I really am curious how the clicky switches will compare.

I'm hoping "Gatlin Gun" territory.  It has to resonant like that through the walls.  People need to feel it out on the street as they walk by the office.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #287 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 02:19:58 »
I'd like them to sound like my old blue complicated board ;-)
Bore Awards

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #288 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 06:59:26 »
I'm hoping "Gatlin Gun" territory.  It has to resonant like that through the walls.  People need to feel it out on the street as they walk by the office.

If you haven't used one yet, you need to try an old Northgate with clicky whites, especially the Evolution model.  My old Evolution had an all-metal case with a plastic top that sounded like someone was firing an AK-47 in 52 gallon drum.  The sound was epic; not really my thing but epic.  Hands down the loudest keyboard I have ever used.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #289 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 10:20:32 »
Big props to Matias.  Complaining a little bit is always embarrassing, but I received a response from the support staff with an RMA number and yesterday a working board arrived.  Super glad to be typing again on these switches.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline trax

« Reply #290 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 12:42:35 »
When can we expect the clicky board?
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #291 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 13:51:58 »
On the Quiet Switch, the stem has little rubber dampeners, and the tactile leaf is held stationary.

On the Click Switch, there are no dampeners and the tactile leaf is held loosely to allow it to click.

How about this: A clicky switch with dampeners?

I think it would be pretty nice to have the click without the bottoming-out and return noise.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: New switches from Matias -- 2 years in the making
« Reply #292 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 14:11:19 »

If you haven't used one yet, you need to try an old Northgate with clicky whites, especially the Evolution model.  My old Evolution had an all-metal case with a plastic top that sounded like someone was firing an AK-47 in 52 gallon drum.  The sound was epic; not really my thing but epic.  Hands down the loudest keyboard I have ever used.
My Zenith pings like an angelic choir.

Offline Matias

« Reply #293 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 22:07:55 »

The clicky board for Mac is available now.  For PC, you won't see a clicky board until we get more PC retailers signed up.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 22:46:07 »
I'm ready.

Show Image

Wow!  Nice solder station.  Yours?

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #295 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 18:55:12 »
The clicky board for Mac is available now.

Where?  I don't see it on the site...
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #296 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 18:57:25 »
Where?  I don't see it on the site...

The clicky keyboard is the Tactile Pro 3. All Matias are doing is phasing in the new switches when the stock of Fukkas run out.

The Tactile Pro is presently Mac-only; see previous posts discussing possible PC version.
Bore Awards

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #297 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 19:41:04 »
Does ordering a TP3 now guarantee that we will get the new switch?
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #298 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 20:00:36 »
Does ordering a TP3 now guarantee that we will get the new switch?

The order page shows the TP4 as a distinct new model (apart from the limited edition keyboard which is a TP3). Seems you can get either of them right now.

http://matias.ca/order/

I would assume that the TP3 has the Fukka clicky switches while the TP4 has the new Matias clicky switches. The TP4 is probably better if you don't like the ringing sound that the switches in the TP3 made.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 20:03:04 by Burz »
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #299 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 03:58:03 »
Just received my "quiet pro" (PC).  Took two weeks to get to me, but that's a bit of the price one pays for having the privilege of living in the middle of the Negev Desert.

First impression:

If I took my Realforce 55g and one of my MX Clear keyboards, and put them in one box to spend the night together, this is the offspring they would produce.  (And, the parents would be very proud of the newborn, but yet a little jealous of all the attention their baby was getting.)