Author Topic: [IC] 45% w/ Full-Size Modifiers (Name is a WIP)  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Rocky5232

[IC] 45% w/ Full-Size Modifiers (Name is a WIP)
« on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 03:59:37 »
Edit: Many people have said that this IC was posted before it should have been, and I now agree. I am currently very busy, so I am going to make a new post when I am able to flesh out my idea so that people have a better idea of the keyboard that I'm trying to make.

Intro
Hey all! I'm Rocky5232. Just over a year ago, I found out about the mechanical keyboard community, and now I'm hooked. One thing that I would have loved to see when I first found out about this was more budget options as there are only a few, and stock is always hard to find. So, keeping that in mind, I decided to design my own keyboard.

Layout
Here's the layout that I've decided on for this board.

As you can see, it's a 45% board with full-size modifiers. My reasoning for this layout is that 40% boards look great, but their functionality is severely limited, especially because of their lack of arrow keys, which is also a problem that 60% keyboards have. I wanted something that was similarly compact to a 40%, as I often don't need the number row, but is also usable for typing. With this layout, you have the best of both worlds: a nice compact keyboard along with arrow keys. I also decided to keep all the modifier keys full-size, as I couldn't get them smaller without the need for an extra set of keycaps.
In addition, here's a picture of the plate CAD file that I am currently planning to use. Keep in mind that it is very likely to be changed throughout my prototyping.

Physical Design
The keyboard will be a sandwich-style board with FR4 for the plate and base and it'll be held together by standoffs. My current design has a slight bezel on all edges, but, depending on what the prototypes look like, I may switch to a design with minimal bezel.

PCB
The PCB will be a blank PCB with no SMD parts, and those who buy it will need to solder on diodes themselves. It'll also use a microcontroller which will most likely be a Teensy 2.0 or a Pro Micro.

Timeline/Interest Form
Currently, I've got a PCB design that should work, and I am ready to order prototypes to test it out. However, I want to wait to see whether people would be interested in this or not, so I am holding off on ordering them. There are a few changes that I want to make to the current PCB design as well, so it may take a few prototypes for me to be ready to put this into the GB stage. It would be really helpful to me if anyone interested could fill out the interest form as it would tell me whether I should continue this project.
https://forms.gle/ahFEyCaiXvVDBcUp6
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 December 2020, 23:48:36 by Rocky5232 »

Re: [IC] 65% w/o Top Row (Name is a WIP)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 04:02:17 »
Reserved

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 04:04:39 »
This isn't a 65% board. This is a 45% board will fullsize mods, also known as a base kit compatible 45% board.

Offline marcofriedrichs

• Discord: Marco#8888
    • marcofriedrichs.com
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 04:06:34 »
Looks like a nice layout, but I this IC seems kind of incomplete. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with checking for interest early on, but it's kind of expected to be shown more of the design, because it's hard for people to decide if they're intersted or not with the information you provided. It seems like you already have a design for the case and ordered protos for the PCB, so why don't you just add images of these to the IC?

Offline Rocky5232

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 04:08:24 »
This isn't a 65% board. This is a 45% board will fullsize mods, also known as a base kit compatible 45% board.
Thanks for letting me know! I'll change my post accordingly.

Offline Rocky5232

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 04:12:09 »
Looks like a nice layout, but I this IC seems kind of incomplete. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with checking for interest early on, but it's kind of expected to be shown more of the design, because it's hard for people to decide if they're intersted or not with the information you provided. It seems like you already have a design for the case and ordered protos for the PCB, so why don't you just add images of these to the IC?
Thanks for the feedback. I don't currently have renders, but I can add a picture of the plate CAD file that I have so that people will have a better idea of the look of the keyboard.

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 05:31:40 »
Thanks for the feedback. I don't currently have renders, but I can add a picture of the plate CAD file that I have so that people will have a better idea of the look of the keyboard.

Let me recommend you go to the 40% discord and talk to them about this.
They will be able to give you tips and a possible path forwards with your idea.
discord.gg/40percent

Offline godzillq25

Re: [IC] 45% w/ Full-Size Modifiers (Name is a WIP)
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 06:34:28 »
for 40% u would idealy wanna put split space bar support

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 07:51:00 »
This is very rough for an IC. you should have at least renders of the case design, not just a picture of KLE.

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 09:49:11 »
This is very rough for an IC. you should have at least renders of the case design, not just a picture of KLE.
People are just hating on IC.
Unless the post has changed since your comment, he clearly says sandwich FR4. Do we need renders of FR4?
It's throughole, barebones a-la discipline or any other basic DIY. Clearly this IC is for the  layout.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Offline antx1701

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 12:39:27 »
It's a good idea, but I really hate the look of 6 1u keys in a row.

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 12:45:43 »
People are just hating on IC.
Unless the post has changed since your comment, he clearly says sandwich FR4. Do we need renders of FR4?
It's throughole, barebones a-la discipline or any other basic DIY. Clearly this IC is for the  layout.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
There are plenty of ways to design a sandwich fr4 board. This IC looks a little bare is all, prototypes would be appreciated. No PCB sketch, just a KLE screenshot. There's not much to go off of. How can I be interested in something when all I know is the chosen layout?