Author Topic: Can you recommend a successor for my mx518?  (Read 41001 times)

Offline fex

Can you recommend a successor for my mx518?
« on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 07:48:45 »
Hello,
I have used my Logitech mx 518 for almost nine years now. Altough it is still working fine, I decided to get a new mouse.
The buttons on the mx518 are more than enough for me, I don't need extra buttons or features. Build quality and comfort are the most important factors. For me the mx518 was perfect in every aspect apart from looks.
I already looked at the Logitech G402 and G502, but I don't know if Logitech still has the awesome build quality I am used to from the mx518 and I don't really like the looks of these mice all that much. In terms of looks I like the Steelseries Rival, but I don't know what the buid quality is like and if it can be compared to the comfort I am used to from the 518.
Do you have any experience with the new logitech mice? Do you know about the Steelseries Rival build quality?, or do you think I should go with a completly different mouse?
Any helpful replies are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Offline munch

• !
Re: Can you recommend a successor for my mx518?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 13:37:19 »
Rival has way worse materials/build quality than the MX518, IMO/IME. and it's not really comfortable for me, whereas I find the MX518 to be really comfy.

honestly, I really like the G400s, if you can get ahold of one of those, it'd be a straight upgrade from your MX518 in every way. though it doesn't look much better, IMO :p
and some will argue that due to its sensor implementation, it is a little bit less responsive than some of the other options, but I didn't find it to be a problem. it seems to be a matter of a few miliseconds. can't even say if it's faster or slower than the MX518.

the G502 is probably the best hardware you will get right now, but the scroll wheel isn't really an upgrade to the MX518.
I would also like to recommend the Roccat Kone Pure Military, as the gripping style is fairly similar to the MX500-shape, but smaller.

but since you're considering the Rival, you also have the option of the Zowie EC1 eVo CL if you  use a good solid-coloured mousepad.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 14:07:45 »
+1 on the Roccat Kone Pure.
I have the Roccat Kone XTD but I have larger hands. The extra buttons and ability to set your own dpi steps is great.
 My parents are still rocking my old MX511 and G15 v1.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 17:10:16 »
Rival has terrible quality
G502 definitely has great build quality.
Best sensor too. It's unnecessarily heavy though. I think G502 was designed with high DPI users in mind.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 December 2014, 17:13:50 by the1onewolf »

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:44:45 »
Rival has way worse materials/build quality than the MX518, IMO/IME. and it's not really comfortable for me, whereas I find the MX518 to be really comfy.

honestly, I really like the G400s, if you can get ahold of one of those, it'd be a straight upgrade from your MX518 in every way. though it doesn't look much better, IMO :p
and some will argue that due to its sensor implementation, it is a little bit less responsive than some of the other options, but I didn't find it to be a problem. it seems to be a matter of a few miliseconds. can't even say if it's faster or slower than the MX518.

the G502 is probably the best hardware you will get right now, but the scroll wheel isn't really an upgrade to the MX518.
I would also like to recommend the Roccat Kone Pure Military, as the gripping style is fairly similar to the MX500-shape, but smaller.

but since you're considering the Rival, you also have the option of the Zowie EC1 eVo CL if you  use a good solid-coloured mousepad.

Munch pretty much covered everything above.  :thumb:

My opinion about G502, if you care:

-The sensor on it is the best I've tried
-The chassis for the mouse is horribly obtuse and awkward (if you prefer ambidextrous mice)
-Scroll wheel material is heavy metal, and it's slippery
-Weight system is totally unnecessary as it's a heavy mouse to begin with
-Buttons, buttons everywhere... it was annoying for me when I wanted to grip it like an MX518, but buttons were in the way

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:46:23 by sorijealut »

Offline fex

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 17:33:45 »
Thank you everybody for your input!!!
@munch: I could order a G400s for about 55 Euros? would that be a good purchase and upgrade?, or should I just go for the G402?
@JaccoW: The Roccat Kone Pure looks interesting! Can you tell me what the build quality is like?, I am quite spoiled frim my MX 518.
@sorijealut: I do care, thank tou for the reply. Yeah the things you mentioned would really bother me, I do not want unnecessarily many buttons or options, just a good mouse with great build quality. Do you think the G402 is a viable option?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 17:37:33 »
I replaced/upgraded mine with a G500. It took a few days to get used to, but I really like it!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline feizor

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 17:39:14 »
My favorite are roccat kone pure (optical)  and the zowie fk. I have not tried the fk1 so cannot comment on it,  however the original fk is a bit on the small side so if you have larger hands the fk1 would be a good choice.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 18:40:37 »
@munch: I could order a G400s for about 55 Euros? would that be a good purchase and upgrade?, or should I just go for the G402?
@JaccoW: The Roccat Kone Pure looks interesting! Can you tell me what the build quality is like?, I am quite spoiled frim my MX 518.
@sorijealut: I do care, thank tou for the reply. Yeah the things you mentioned would really bother me, I do not want unnecessarily many buttons or options, just a good mouse with great build quality. Do you think the G402 is a viable option?

Kone Pure Military versions are a lot better option than the regular Kone Pure / Kone Pure Optical. but it costs a bit more than the other options.
and the build quality IME surpasses pretty much everything else I've tried.

though, in regards to G400s/G402, I like the G402 more, it feels more responsive.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 19:14:59 »

No problem! I should probably ask you what your use for the mouse is, but if that mx518 has been serving you well all this time, there's probably no reason to abandon Logitech.
I do own a G400 (the older version with the same sesnor as G400S), and for FPS use, the sensor wasn't cutting it for me after some 2-3 years. For games like DOTA it does work well enough though.
I haven't enough knowledge about G402 to recommend it to you directly though! I would ask munch up there since he has tried both
Personally, the new G302 is the one I'm interested in trying next.

On a sidenote, I wish Logitech would stop with this G-gaming marketing rubbish and simply release a mx518 body with the G502 sensor...
Companies would honestly benefit from returning to simplicity. In that regard, I feel that Zowie is the successor of the classic Logitech that created mx518, G3(mx300), or the mini optical.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 05:52:57 »
A friend of mine got himself a g502. He had to send it back, because the scrollwheel felt and sounded like a piece of junk.
He has a g402 now and really likes it. (the sensor isn't flawless whatsoever, but he doesn't care, because the difference is minor)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 01:08:57 »
The scrollwheel on the G502 is a bit wonky. But the mouse is definitely the best tracking mouse I've ever used.

Offline LinkPro

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 20:15:20 »
I tried the G502 at best buy and liked the shape, but the small buttons next to the left click tended to get in the way. Very interested in the G402 though, might get it to replace my G100s as my laptop mouse. Would love to hear some input on this one. Logitech has been going full Razer lately which makes me kinda worried.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 20:52:52 »
I tried the G502 at best buy and liked the shape, but the small buttons next to the left click tended to get in the way. Very interested in the G402 though, might get it to replace my G100s as my laptop mouse. Would love to hear some input on this one. Logitech has been going full Razer lately which makes me kinda worried.

Exactly, same with me then. Have you also considered the G302? I hear some good things on it.

I can't advise you from my experience with those 2 mice though.

Offline LinkPro

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 22:01:16 »

Exactly, same with me then. Have you also considered the G302? I hear some good things on it.

I have looked at it but don't think the shape is going to work well for me. I like something with that MX518 and G400 DNA in it. The G402 is pretty close. If I can get a good deal on it I might give it a shot.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 22:53:17 »

I have looked at it but don't think the shape is going to work well for me. I like something with that MX518 and G400 DNA in it. The G402 is pretty close. If I can get a good deal on it I might give it a shot.

Sounds good to me. Yeah it's probably the most ergonomic standard mouse I know.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 02:33:37 »

If you're still in love with the MX518 better stick with another one, plenty on Ebay to buy plus you may even upgrade it to a genuine G400 instead.  Currently using the G402 very little difference to a G400 but hate the side buttons especially the kill switch, near the thumb.

A lot of G400 fanatics have gone back to their original model because Logitech struck gold when they produced it, all those years ago.

Offline spale

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 08:22:08 »
MX518 is still mine main mouse, and its used for like 7 years. I did one cleaning last month, but thats about it. Really brilliant piece of hardware, it would survive the apocalypse.
I also used G400 which is his direct successor, and cant complain, nice mouse also. So I wouldn't change the winning team.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 17:11:20 »
Really brilliant piece of hardware, it would survive the apocalypse.

Don't worry, you shall soon find out  8) .

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 10:54:25 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-G402-Gaming-Mouse-BRAND-NEW-FAST-SHIPPING-/281518348494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418bcd18ce

$40 w/ free shipping. That's $6 cheaper than Amazon.

However, if you can save up I'd strongly suggest the G502. Much better sensor.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 06:08:40 »
I really like Mionix larger mice. Got a Mx518 in storage and they dont make mice as durable as that anymore. Now you should be happy if its last two years :/
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline dimmu

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 06:32:30 »
i'm on the same boat. i'm still using a logitech g5, been using this thing for 12 years now, eyeing other mice for years waiting for this to just break down but it never did.i might just grab a trackball and keep this forever.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 February 2015, 06:34:10 by dimmu »

Offline spale

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 09:02:44 »
I really like Mionix larger mice.

Which model of Mionix? I should receive some Mionix soon, I heard they are one of the best in the world when it comes to ergonomy  :)

Offline vindaon

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 09:50:02 »
I used the MX518 for the longest time and it became my favorite mouse until I had to replace it.

The G400s(and other variants) was mentioned earlier in this thread multiple times and it's the mouse I'm using right now. I'd consider a "side-grade" from the MX518.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 12:18:56 »
I really like Mionix larger mice.

Which model of Mionix? I should receive some Mionix soon, I heard they are one of the best in the world when it comes to ergonomy  :)

Got a Naos 7000 and a Naos 8200 that the wifu uses. The "case" or "shell" is VERY similar to Qpad 5K and Func MS3 but instead of being a piece of **** its a great mouse. Had 3 of each before I change to Mionix, all 3 MS3 broke down within 3 months and the 5K lasted almost 3 months each. All of them came down with the same issues (5K = Vibrations when moving the mouse, couldnt go in a straight line / MS3 just stopped working, one was DOA), all got change with warranty and now I dont think I could replace it except with a new model :)
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 22:02:40 »
+1 on the Roccat Kone Pure.
I have the Roccat Kone XTD but I have larger hands. The extra buttons and ability to set your own dpi steps is great.
 My parents are still rocking my old MX511 and G15 v1.

+1 Roccat Kone Pure (preferably optical imo)

I've used a Kone XTD as my daily driver for many years and even used to carry it in a backpack all the time an only ever managed to break the sideways click on the mouse wheel wich they apparently replaced by a more durable one on newer versions.
Since you can see some wear on my old one by now tho, i got a new XTD and for comparison a Pure Optical a while ago and personally found my self using the optical a lot more.

I use the mouse for everything from video editing/photoshop to fps gaming and the optical sensor feels more natural to me.
Personally i also like the overall shape of the Kone, and also don't mind the 90% size of the pure compared to the XTD.
But i guess that depends on personal preference, and since im using a claw style grip i don't notice the size difference as much.

Edit: Used the Original Kone + as my daily driver for many years* forgot the full size one wasn't called XTD back then...
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 February 2015, 11:07:44 by FoC_Tow »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 01:32:20 »
i'm on the same boat. i'm still using a logitech g5, been using this thing for 12 years now, eyeing other mice for years waiting for this to just break down but it never did.i might just grab a trackball and keep this forever.

(Apologies for the "well, actually", but...) Well, actually, the most you could have had it for would be ten years, since the G5 was released in 2005 (source)

Offline dimmu

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 04:29:11 »

(Apologies for the "well, actually", but...) Well, actually, the most you could have had it for would be ten years, since the G5 was released in 2005 (source)

lawyered!

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 15:33:50 »
Zowie EC1A, it's the best mouse on the market, has the Deathadder shape but with the best laser and build quality

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 22:50:04 »
I feel that mouse quality has gone up, sooo practically any mouse is a worthy successor(logitech, razer, corsair, zowie, roccat, etc.) so pick the one that is most pleasing to you. It seems that people now are more likely to throwout a mouse that is still working to get a good new one(there was a thread here discussing this with razer products).
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 22:52:24 »
i've had my 602 for around a year now and i still love it.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 01:36:33 »
I feel that mouse quality has gone up, sooo practically any mouse is a worthy successor(logitech, razer, corsair, zowie, roccat, etc.) so pick the one that is most pleasing to you. It seems that people now are more likely to throwout a mouse that is still working to get a good new one(there was a thread here discussing this with razer products).

Small Sized Hands - G100S
Medium Sized Hand - Roccat Kone Pure Military
Large Sized Hand - Zowie EC1-A (Perfection)  :thumb: .

Offline jason1984

• Blogger and Gamer
    • Graphicscardhub
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 12:23:39 »
Well i am still not able to find a mouse as good the MX518. Any suggestions?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 02:16:47 »
Well i am still not able to find a mouse as good the MX518. Any suggestions?

MX518 HERO (on the right). It's an actual MX518, with a perfectly tracking sensor.

Only downside is you have to get it from China atm, as it's an Asia only release.

Or you could go with the Nixeus Revel Fit (the mouse on the left), which also has a flawless sensor (the 3360).

Offline typo

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 02:56:08 »
G-pro is out now.