Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 or Novatouch TKL?  (Read 20113 times)

Offline chryos1029

• Don't stop me from buying keyboard!!
HHKB Pro 2 or Novatouch TKL?
« on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 04:56:24 »
Finally decided to venture into the TOPRE world...
But what confuses me is that is the silenced novatouch tkl good as the HHKB pro 2?
Because the cost of a silenced novatouch tkl + dye sub pbt keycaps is already higher than a stock HHKB Pro 2 with dye sub pbt keycaps(not including the abs spacebar)....
Anyone can give an opinion?  :D
\IBM Model M\Ducky Legend\IBM Model M SSK\FILCO MJ2

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: HHKB Pro 2 or Novatouch TKL?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 05:31:20 »
Novatouch case made of metal?

Novatouch has the cherry mx stems (not all artisan caps will fit)

HHKB has a great reputation.

Do you need a dedicated nav cluster?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 06:23:14 »
HHKB.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 06:45:01 »
Finally decided to venture into the TOPRE world...
But what confuses me is that is the silenced novatouch tkl good as the HHKB pro 2?
Because the cost of a silenced novatouch tkl + dye sub pbt keycaps is already higher than a stock HHKB Pro 2 with dye sub pbt keycaps(not including the abs spacebar)....
Anyone can give an opinion?  :D

Better is all relative..

Is MX Keycap compatibility important to you?  If so..Novatouch..

Do you want a 60% layout and have enough patience to learn the HHKB layout?  If so, HHKB...

If you don't already have a significant investment in keycaps, I don't know if I'd purposely go to Novatouch....

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 07:23:34 »
HHKB.

The seal knows best.

I've tried both the Novatouch and HHKB and found myself liking the HHKB more. The layout didn't bother me (strange, since I said I'd never want to go smaller than a TKL) and the feels were much better.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 07:33:14 »
HHKB.

The seal knows best.

I've tried both the Novatouch and HHKB and found myself liking the HHKB more. The layout didn't bother me (strange, since I said I'd never want to go smaller than a TKL) and the feels were much better.
Yes even tho u said that I'm a seal but still I agree with this guysss I even said to myself too that I'm not goin any smaller than tkl

Offline ajx

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 11:48:02 »
Stock HHKB is better than stock NT
Silenced NT is better than stock HHKB
Silenced NT feels better than silenced HHKB
HHKB layout/keyboard ergonomic/shape is better than NT
NT has more keys (clusters, f-keys...) while HHKB misses a lack of them
I have both, i prefer HHKB overall because i like 60% more than TKL, the HHKB layout looks also better to me but silenced NT is great keyboard aswell (in my opinion as i stated above, NT feels more firmly, sturdier in your hands)
Hard choice imo, both are very good (if it has been silenced)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:21:52 »
The Novatouch just feels cheap to me.  When I tried it, it was loud and rattled.  The HHKB, especially the Type-S, is brat far the superior board.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:29:00 »
I can't believe I'm going to make this comment. Just feels like the biggest meme ever now, but:

HHKB
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:32:23 »
I can't believe I'm going to make this comment. Just feels like the biggest meme ever now, but:

HHKB

You're just trying to fit in!

Offline nocturalowl

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:01:54 »
HHKB is better choice imo. I already own both and silent mod both boards. HHKB feel way better maybe because it was case mounted.

Offline ajx

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:17:17 »
Loving HHKB doesnt mean to trash other keyboards
NT is great aswell but you have to silent it and get better keycaps

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:42:26 »
I have both, i prefer HHKB overall because i like 60% more than TKL, the HHKB layout looks also better to me but silenced NT is great keyboard aswell (in my opinion as i stated above, NT feels more firmly, sturdier in your hands)

Seems like a good summary.  My silenced Novatouch feels and sounds oooooh so nice, but it's not for everyone.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:53:43 »
I think Coolermaster should do a silenced Novatouch.  All complaints about the board center around the noise, which is completely addressed with silencing and a dab of grease on the stabilizers.  The feel is just fine.

That said, if you don't mind the 60% layout, the HHKB is the better keyboard out of the box, I have no doubt.  The whole point of the Novatouch is modding, though.

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 15:59:28 »

May I ask how you silenced your novatouch? (dental bands, hyperspheres or landing pads?)

Offline ajx

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 16:25:02 »
Landing pads for both (HHKB and NT)

https://vid.me/Q630

Short vid of typing

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 16:30:08 »
Novatouch isn't topre. It's a bull**** impostor that you can put crap mx on.

HHKB.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Kompanion

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 16:39:39 »
HHKB hands down. I have a silenced novatouch and the only reason I keep it around still is to show off keysets. I usually use my realforce, but same concept with the hhkb.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 16:42:01 »
If you want cherry mx keysets on a HHKB,  just get some sliders off of CTRL ALT soon.

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 16:46:12 »
I don't have experience with the Nova but I have recently acquired a HKKB Pro 2. While I may be echo'ing what's already been brought up, the layout is definitely something to consider. Seeing as this is my first full day typing on this board, I'm already starting to get quite used to it. Granted, I can touch type, I do find myself over reaching for Backspace... Perhaps that's an indicator that I need to work on my typing skills a bit more to mitigate the typos  :))

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 17:33:37 »
If you want cherry mx keysets on a HHKB,  just get some sliders off of CTRL ALT soon.
But when?! The only consistent option is to buy a novatouch since the topre clone keyboards with cherry mx sliders are so difficult to track down  :-[

Offline Kompanion

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 19:30:20 »
But when?! The only consistent option is to buy a novatouch since the topre clone keyboards with cherry mx sliders are so difficult to track down  :-[

Side question, does anyone think it's worth it just to go ahead and scavenge my novatouch for the sliders to put on a realforce? I'm concerned that it will effect the feel and don't know if it's really worth it yet.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 19:31:16 »

Side question, does anyone think it's worth it just to go ahead and scavenge my novatouch for the sliders to put on a realforce? I'm concerned that it will effect the feel and don't know if it's really worth it yet.
No topre with topre cherry with cherry stuff

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 19:31:30 »

I don't think the sliders will affect the feeling too much. The stems are almost identical.

Offline Kompanion

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 19:36:36 »

how does a seal even type?

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 19:41:16 »

You know seals. It's probably on a membrane keyboard.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 19:43:11 »

text to speech has gotten incredibly good.

there's no way those flaps are getting a keyboard wet.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 19:44:18 »

demilky pls i have a hands too

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 19:59:17 »

no u dont you silly seal

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 20:02:38 »

no u dont you silly seal

Show Image

Dis is me hands demilk

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 20:03:44 »
put on a shirt u crazy seal! this is a family website!!

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 20:04:58 »
But I though u like me nikkid bb

On topic : HHKB.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 05:03:55 »
HHKB.

The seal knows best.

Yes even tho u said that I'm a seal but still I agree with this guysss I even said to myself too that I'm not goin any smaller than tkl

So it has your seal of approval?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 06:08:35 »
HHKB.

The seal knows best.

yes off course

hhkb get my seal of approval

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 06:19:34 »
HHKB.

The seal knows best.

yes off course

hhkb get my seal of approval

I sea what you did there..
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline venyv

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 10:44:03 »
I have both I use the HHKB at work and the Nova at home and I like both. They definitely have a different feel, the HHKB is more tactical feed back and spunky and the Nova touch is softer and smoother. It would be hard for me to choose between the two after having them both. If you feel like customizing the keycaps get the Novatouch if you like the smaller form factor get the HHKB. I do love the HHKB with Hasu controller.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 10:50:57 »
I have both I use the HHKB at work and the Nova at home and I like both. They definitely have a different feel, the HHKB is more tactical feed back and spunky and the Nova touch is softer and smoother. It would be hard for me to choose between the two after having them both. If you feel like customizing the keycaps get the Novatouch if you like the smaller form factor get the HHKB. I do love the HHKB with Hasu controller.
I'm curious. Which feature makes your HHKB spunky? I think I would prefer a spunky HHKB over a less than spunky variety.

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 11:37:22 »
Leopold FC660C?

I am typing on a friends now and it actually motivated me to get a PLUM84 now that they are back under $100 if you buy using the app.

These really do feel nice once you get used to them and the steel plate in the novatouch and FC660C really does make your keytouches feel more solid though the HHKB has no flex or anything at all, its just that i feel like I can feel stuff through the board as I type with other fingers.

Honestly, never thought I would like a Topre as I like Alps best and Gat blues second.

The HHKB has the benefit of being able to get a programmable controller allowing it to be fully customizable. which is nicer for sure. The lack of programmable options on Topre kinda sucks.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 11:41:18 »
Leopold FC660C?

I am typing on a friends now and it actually motivated me to get a PLUM84 now that they are back under $100 if you buy using the app.

These really do feel nice once you get used to them and the steel plate in the novatouch and FC660C really does make your keytouches feel more solid though the HHKB has no flex or anything at all, its just that i feel like I can feel stuff through the board as I type with other fingers.

Honestly, never thought I would like a Topre as I like Alps best and Gat blues second.

The HHKB has the benefit of being able to get a programmable controller allowing it to be fully customizable. which is nicer for sure. The lack of programmable options on Topre kinda sucks.
No

Offline Kompanion

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 11:49:19 »
Leopold FC660C?

No

demik's opinions, best opinions. So insightful..

/s

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 19:08:52 »
Leopold FC660C?

No

demik's opinions, best opinions. So insightful..

/s

my opinions are gold!

GOLD JERRY! GOLD!

Offline tokidokijake

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 20:13:43 »
HHKB. **** is god tier

Offline ntelope

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:01:31 »
I know this is off-topic, but how does the f660c compare to the other two?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:20:43 »
1 thing that I've to say to you :

HHKB.

Offline ntelope

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:24:51 »

HHKB.

Is this decision purely based on feels?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:32:25 »

HHKB.

Is this decision purely based on feels?
feels, layout, feels again

cause HHKB is the only toppre that is good

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:33:07 »

we dont speak of the f660c(rap)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:46:30 »

listen to this man

Offline ntelope

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:35:46 »

listen to this man
I mean it would be nice if you would criticize the f660c with actual criticism.
But then again it all depends on personal preference

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 22:13:17 »

listen to this man
I mean it would be nice if you would criticize the f660c with actual criticism.
But then again it all depends on personal preference
Don't take it personally. They say that about anything with a winkey  ;)