Author Topic: CM Storm QuickFire Rapid w/ MX Reds  (Read 3051 times)

Offline piken

CM Storm QuickFire Rapid w/ MX Reds
« on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 13:19:09 »
So I decided to buy a board to try out instead buying the topre that I was looking at due to price.

I currently have a MJ2 w/ Browns, a Leo w/ Reds, a BWU w/ Blues, and a Das Pro S w/ Browns at work. I wanted to compare the build quality of the quickfire to my MJ2 which is by far my favorite board. I loved the Leo, but my wife took that one as she loved the feel of the Reds.

Other then the logos all over the place, I will have to say that the build quality is 100% the same as my MJ2. The board is rock solid and with my eyes closed feels like a Filco.

The one thing I am really loving though is the feel of the case. The almost rubbery feel is very nice to the touch, but worries me that it will pick up a lot of dust and eventually wear off.

This board will be replacing my MJ2 as my daily driver at the house for a long while. Now to just get some nice PBT's or Doubleshots for it.

Piken

Offline fstop

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 13:25:47 »
My biggest complaint with my CM Quickfire has been the extra spacing between the keys. It's clearly more space then the Filco, which makes it easier to things to get in there and it gets dirty fast. Just means I have to clean it more often, but it gets dusty in there quick.

and the rubber material seems to be holding up so far. I've had mine for about 4 months and there is no sign of wear whatsoever except on the keycaps. I think you will enjoy it! It's by far my favorite board.
CM Storm Quickfire MX Reds
CM Storm Quickfire MX Blues
Filco Majestouch-2  MX Browns
RealForce 87uw uniform 45g

Offline piken

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 13:38:44 »
Not sure if the space is much more then the filco, I think it would be a keycap difference that is causing it. A few min in, I am not liking the caps on it that much. They could be better, but for the price I can afford new caps for it.

Comparing to my Das here at the office, the spacing looks to be almost the same. I have compared this Das to my Filco before and they also seemed almost the same (haven't officially measured.) I think it is an optical illusion that makes it appear different due to the red plate. I have seen a v1 Rosewill next to a MF1 (ie almost the same board, even has a filco mj1 controller in it and main pcb in it, mark filco on both), and the Rosewill looks like the keys are spaced further apart but are not. I measured with my friend to prove it. This leads me to think it is the red plate that makes it seem spread out more.

Offline Glukos

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 13:50:48 »
Quote from: piken;522015
my wife took that one as she loved the feel of the Reds
I don't want to dissapoint you, but...  :D

Offline piken

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 13:59:42 »
Quote from: Glukos;522046
I don't want to dissapoint you, but...  :D

LOL, she got the Leo and can keep it. I prefer the costar stabs.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 14:07:18 »
Check out the Ragnarok group buy for a cheap but perfect set of doubleshots for your quick fire.

Offline piken

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 15:00:57 »
Quote from: lightsout714;522060
Check out the Ragnarok group buy for a cheap but perfect set of doubleshots for your quick fire.

I have looked at them, I just don't like the red on black. I might still buy them anyways. But I would prefer red on white :D.

I like the look of white caps on a black board.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 15:54:41 »
Quote from: piken;522108
I have looked at them, I just don't like the red on black. I might still buy them anyways. But I would prefer red on white :D.

I like the look of white caps on a black board.

Yes I also love red on white. They go by the name red alert and we should hopefully get a group buy one of these days. I believe its one of the more wanted sets around here although there was a GB at deskthority a while back.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 17:09:43 »
Quote from: fstop;522021
My biggest complaint with my CM Quickfire has been the extra spacing between the keys. It's clearly more space then the Filco, which makes it easier to things to get in there and it gets dirty fast.

They have the same spacing.

Offline shogrran

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 17:20:22 »
The one thing I am really loving though is the feel of the case. The almost rubbery feel is very nice to the touch, but worries me that it will pick up a lot of dust and eventually wear off.

See this is what I was also talking about in one of my threads! I finally found another person who likes the case finish of the cmstorm qfr. I'm using the gray one though as I bought browns. I do think you are right that the black finish on the mxred version is going to be a little hard to maintain compared to the gray version as it will be more prone to sweat/oil marks and dust can easily be seen on a black background. I hope it doesn't fade quickly though... we don't know approximately when yet as mine is still in tip top shape as well.
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline boredgunner

• GND-Tech
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 17:22:39 »
I'm also very pleased with my QuickFire Rapid w/ reds.  It would have been great if the keys sat on the keyboard surface like Corsair's keyboards though.  Why aren't more keyboards like this?  It would make it so much easier to clean.  An adjustable backlight (red on this model) would have been a great addition as well.
Ducky Shine II TKL (Green LED, Cherry MX Red) | Leopold FC210TP (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline Lin

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 17:53:49 »

I currently have a MJ2 w/ Browns, a Leo w/ Reds, a BWU w/ Blues, and a Das Pro S w/ Browns at work. I wanted to compare the build quality of the quickfire to my MJ2 which is by far my favorite board. I loved the Leo, but my wife took that one as she loved the feel of the Reds.

Piken

What do you think of Leopold's red compared to Quickfire red? I got a Leo cherry mx red and i thought after reading through the forum it would feel light but instead it feels heavy.
It reminds of a rubber dome, but precise with just a little feedback while bottoming out and relatively silent. *runs*

It's hard to just hover the hands quickly, the key just feels heavy and end up bottoming out. At first i thought i would just light touch it and it would register. *shrug*

Perhaps investing in a quickfire red in the hope it was just Leopold playing tricks on me or maybe  a brown quickfire/filco, but i'm not sure what i'm gonna do with so many keyboards.

It's my first mechanical by the way.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 18:14:34 »
Quote from: boredgunner;522227
I'm also very pleased with my QuickFire Rapid w/ reds.  It would have been great if the keys sat on the keyboard surface like Corsair's keyboards though.  Why aren't more keyboards like this?  It would make it so much easier to clean.  An adjustable backlight (red on this model) would have been a great addition as well.

I am very grateful that it is not like the corsair. Makes the boards look unfinished with the switches exposed like that. Definitely not a fan.

Offline shogrran

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 19:09:35 »
Quote from: lightsout714;522300
I am very grateful that it is not like the corsair. Makes the boards look unfinished with the switches exposed like that. Definitely not a fan.

Hmm... I am also not a fan of the looks on the corsair. But I see the potential in that concept. It is really hard to clean in between and under the keycaps and I personally don't like removing the keycaps for cleaning. I just feel that removing keycaps once in a while will eventually add up to wear and tear for your keyboard.

Since I really like the TKL quickfire rapid, I'm imagining how it would look like in a simple design and shape as this qfr and the keys out of the case concept like the corsair.
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 19:20:04 »
Quote from: shogrran;522360
Hmm... I am also not a fan of the looks on the corsair. But I see the potential in that concept. It is really hard to clean in between and under the keycaps and I personally don't like removing the keycaps for cleaning. I just feel that removing keycaps once in a while will eventually add up to wear and tear for your keyboard.

Since I really like the TKL quickfire rapid, I'm imagining how it would look like in a simple design and shape as this qfr and the keys out of the case concept like the corsair.

Idk how much it really hurts remving caps. I mean every day sure. A can of air can do a pretty good job without removing caps.

Offline boredgunner

• GND-Tech
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 20:59:24 »
Quote from: lightsout714;522373
Idk how much it really hurts remving caps. I mean every day sure. A can of air can do a pretty good job without removing caps.

Or turning the keyboard upside down and... spanking it?  That works too if you're the messy type and gets things other than dust between your keys.
Ducky Shine II TKL (Green LED, Cherry MX Red) | Leopold FC210TP (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline Kamikaze K

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 22:25:27 »
Or just use something to cover the board when you're not using it!  Works for me!
FILCO Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkeyless [Black]
DUCKY DK9008 Shining [Blue]
CM STORM Quickfire Rapid [Red]
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline HWI

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 22:40:41 »
Quote from: fstop;522021
My biggest complaint with my CM Quickfire has been the extra spacing between the keys.

It's in your head. The key spacing on the Quickfire is standard.
Bottom Out Like A Boss
Razer BWU | Ducky DK-1087 | Noppoo Choc Mini | CM Storm QFR | KBT Race

Offline shogrran

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 22:48:11 »
Quote from: lightsout714;522373

The canned air gets the loose dust. But the dust that seems to me is attached electrostatically to the board and keycaps are hard to get. I mean eventually removing the caps will get to the board is what I am thinking, friction is still a b*tch. Besides even if that will take a long time fore wear and tear,I think it also puts your board at risk for  breaking the switches?
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 23:22:06 »
Quote from: shogrran;522641
The canned air gets the loose dust. But the dust that seems to me is attached electrostatically to the board and keycaps are hard to get. I mean eventually removing the caps will get to the board is what I am thinking, friction is still a b*tch. Besides even if that will take a long time fore wear and tear,I think it also puts your board at risk for  breaking the switches?

Idk I'm constantly taking caps off my boards. If your worried about the dust sticking to the plate I think you will have the same issue needing to remove the caps.

Offline piken

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 06:42:45 »
Quote from: Lin;522276
What do you think of Leopold's red compared to Quickfire red? I got a Leo cherry mx red and i thought after reading through the forum it would feel light but instead it feels heavy.
It reminds of a rubber dome, but precise with just a little feedback while bottoming out and relatively silent. *runs*

It's hard to just hover the hands quickly, the key just feels heavy and end up bottoming out. At first i thought i would just light touch it and it would register. *shrug*

Perhaps investing in a quickfire red in the hope it was just Leopold playing tricks on me or maybe  a brown quickfire/filco, but i'm not sure what i'm gonna do with so many keyboards.

It's my first mechanical by the way.

Red switches are the lightest switch Cherry makes. I don't notice a difference between the QF and the Leo, the Leo only has a mushy feel in the stabilized keys due to the different type of stabilizers.

If you are saying that Reds are feel too heavy for you, I could be of no help as I have used my MX switches and can say without a doubt that the Red and Browns are a lot lighter then Blues, Clears, and Blacks.

Offline Lin

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 10:52:47 »
I was hoping that maybe the keycaps could make them feel different but it's a lost case it seems. Perhaps o-rings could help with a less travel distance, i'm not sure. I also got a QF w/ blues but haven't tried it out yet.