Author Topic: New here, quick question  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Totem

New here, quick question
« on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 19:57:13 »
Hey guys long time lurker decided to join you guys. Can anybody point me towards a guide to painting keycap lettering whether it be sublimation, pad printing or various other techniques?

Thanks

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: New here, quick question
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 05:50:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's this page on DT that gives a good overview of keycap labelling methods: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Keycap_printing

Then there's this thread discussing DIY dyesub.

A reference in that latter thread links to this page: http://keycapdiy.blogspot.com.au/

If you need more than that, please post a question in the simple questions thread, and maybe someone else will have some better links :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: New here, quick question
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 08:47:01 »
If you're rolling in cash dye-sublimation and pad printing could totally be a possibility. Just buy the factory needed for production! For those who aren't rolling in cash, you got some etching options (Glowforge for laser, X-Carve for CNC, for example). I'm not saying you couldn't send off your design to be printed (Pimpmykeyboard will do custom dye-sub jobs for a premium) it's just really expensive.

One could possibly skip all this and use some CNC/3D printing skills to create double shot molds for resin casting I guess? If you run into moar info please let us know what you find! When I signed up early this year people said DIY capacitive switch PCBs were impossible, (like Topre) and five months later someone posted progress of a fully adjustable ergonomic Topre board!