Author Topic: My name is Donk and I only own 2 Model M Keyboards  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Donk

My name is Donk and I only own 2 Model M Keyboards
« on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 20:46:12 »
Hi there,

I thought I was only in my obsession and then I found this site on google.

Offline eltoozero

• Destructive Services
Re: My name is Donk and I only own 2 Model M Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 21:32:20 »
Hi there,

"Only" two? Some folks are still chomping at the bit to get their first.

Even though TKL is the latest "thing".

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 21:36:35 »
Hi there,

Welcome Donk! Glad to see another model M enthusiast. im a proud owner of 2 model M myself, Industrial SSK (1395682)   and SSK (1397681)     ;)
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline eltoozero

• Destructive Services
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 21:42:05 »
Welcome Donk! Glad to see another model M enthusiast. im a proud owner of 2 model M myself, Industrial SSK (1395682)   and SSK (1397681)     ;)

Industrial SSK, showoff. ;)

(I'm just jealous).

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 21:44:36 »

Industrial SSK, showoff. ;)

(I'm just jealous).

Dont be. its a never ending road of pursuit.   :-X
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 13:40:48 »
Welcome Donk! I have a full-size model M and SSK, both are very awesome in their own way, especially the full size since I got that as a gift!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 06:11:22 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I only have 5 :p  Although the M122 I don't know if it works., but I have a list of suggestions to get it working and how to mod it to suit my preferences.  I just lack the time to do it :))

I also might be able to take one of my SSKs (not industrial, unfortunately) back to work :D

Are your Ms bolt-modded?  Teensy-modded?  SSK or full size?  Or 122 key?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Donk

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 13:33:20 »
I don't yet know what an Industrial SSK is just by the sound of it I grow envious.

Offline Darkshado

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 20:36:09 »
SSK: Space Saving Keyboard, would be referred to as a "tenkeyless" these days since it lacks the numpad but has everything else as usual.

Industrial: IBM buckling spring keyboards sold with some industrial equipment. Their main peculiarity is a gray, instead of beige case. Special, color-coded, purpose made keys are common on them as well.

Industrial SSK: combination of the above, rare, sought after, and has reached stratospheric prices in auction before.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 02:52:35 »
SSK: Space Saving Keyboard, would be referred to as a "tenkeyless" these days since it lacks the numpad but has everything else as usual.

Industrial: IBM buckling spring keyboards sold with some industrial equipment. Their main peculiarity is a gray, instead of beige case. Special, color-coded, purpose made keys are common on them as well.

Industrial SSK: combination of the above, rare, sought after, and has reached stratospheric prices in auction before.

That sums it up quite nicely :)

Including the prices, unfortunately.

I spent more than a year looking for an affordable SSK, and ended up getting two within a few weeks of each other!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 10:00:34 »
I am the proud owner of a few BS boards, I think the next step for you would be a Model F. Capacitive BS is SOOOOOOOOOO nice :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 05:30:30 »
I am the proud owner of a few BS boards, I think the next step for you would be a Model F. Capacitive BS is SOOOOOOOOOO nice :)

A Model F is one of the few keyboards still on my wish list.