Author Topic: No Keebabs?  (Read 3805 times)

Offline PollandAkuma

No Keebabs?
« on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 00:51:29 »
Hi all! I was introdueced to this hobby from reddit. I've been lurking around and getting to know this hobby. This is not my only hobby, my other one is fountain pens. I've narrowed down what I want to two thing: HHKB or a 40 kitboard, since I'm using a Mac laptop.

The reason why I fell down the hole in the first place is because of my laptop's broken F key ;D (shhhhh..... Nothing can fix it) and even the J key is on the verge of breaking... Because I really have to slam my keys to type with them. They are just too heavy for me. I'm thinking about wither getting light linears or mx blues, sadly the only thing I've tried is Aula Blues. The topre hype is real, though I am not sure which topre is the lightest. HHKB looks very good, if I go to Japan I hope to buy it there.

I am considering several kit 40 boards, since I do travel a lot, situated mostly in the UK and sometimes in Singapore. Atreus was my first love, but I'm also interested in Planck or JD40, or even MiniVan. Why I was leaning towards the Atreus is because I like wood, but really it is quite troublesome for me to get kits since I would have to buy soldering tools and I'm not sure what switches I like.

Anyway, thanks for reading this long introductory post :p

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Re: No Keebabs?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 04:43:29 »

But I digress ;) Welcome! :) If you want a JD45 you can grab one from mechanicalkeyboards.com. I thought I would drop by and mention that
Chris Schammert

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 14:29:54 »
Show Image

But I digress ;) Welcome! :) If you want a JD45 you can grab one from mechanicalkeyboards.com. I thought I would drop by and mention that

Thanks! I was feeling a bit lonely haha.

I've been using my Mac for about 4 years and had it for 6, so I'll be sure to get a Windows laptop next, since I really just want to play Dark Souls  :D

On the other hand, I hopefully can convince my mom to get me a hhkb pro 2 or even a type-s if I am really pushing it.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 20:45:28 »
Welcome!

Bootcamp is always an option, but Dark Souls is going to be hard to play on any computer without a proper graphics card.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 13:38:03 »
Welcome!

Bootcamp is always an option, but Dark Souls is going to be hard to play on any computer without a proper graphics card.

By graphics card, do you mean Nvidia? Then is it possible if I get a new windows Laptop  :D

(as if I have any money)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:58:36 »
Ten series Nvidia cards are damn near identical between desktop/laptop platforms. These are good times to be a laptop user :)
Chris Schammert

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 12:50:33 »
Ten series Nvidia cards are damn near identical between desktop/laptop platforms. These are good times to be a laptop user :)

Awesome...!!! What brands of laptop do you recommend?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 13:36:53 »

Awesome...!!! What brands of laptop do you recommend?

One with a 10-series GPU? I haven't a clue as to what laptop is the good buy sorry
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 05:56:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Nothing wrong with a Mac.  I'm using one now.  And a HHKB btw.  Works a treat :)  I also use a Mac at work, but not HHKB at work.

Do you slam the keys because they are really heavy and difficult to type on?  Or are you just one of us natural heavy typists?  If the latter, you might find MX blue or similar switches way too light.  MX greens are clicky and heavier, or MX blacks are linear and heavier.  Also MX clears are tactile and heavier and a joy to type on.

Or Topre.  HHKB is uniform 45g (or thereabouts) and has a really nice typing feel.  Some say that 55g Topre is the sweet spot.  There's also HHKB Type S (silenced) or normal.  Many say that the silenced version reduces Topre's trademark thock sound, which I kind like.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 07:18:47 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Nothing wrong with a Mac.  I'm using one now.  And a HHKB btw.  Works a treat :)  I also use a Mac at work, but not HHKB at work.

Do you slam the keys because they are really heavy and difficult to type on?  Or are you just one of us natural heavy typists?  If the latter, you might find MX blue or similar switches way too light.  MX greens are clicky and heavier, or MX blacks are linear and heavier.  Also MX clears are tactile and heavier and a joy to type on.

Or Topre.  HHKB is uniform 45g (or thereabouts) and has a really nice typing feel.  Some say that 55g Topre is the sweet spot.  There's also HHKB Type S (silenced) or normal.  Many say that the silenced version reduces Topre's trademark thock sound, which I kind like.

I don't think I'd want to wear my fingers out too much, since my profession is basically slamming my fingers on a wooden board (violin), so I'll be safe and go with lighter reds and browns until I try out heavier ones :)

Sweet Jesus am I addicted to Topre prOnz. I am planning to get a HHKab (normal or 'S'exy) in Japan when I go there. Until then I'm probably going to put together an Atreus or Minivan or JD40/5...

"geekhack media" will be the death of me...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 06:01:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I don't think I'd want to wear my fingers out too much, since my profession is basically slamming my fingers on a wooden board (violin), so I'll be safe and go with lighter reds and browns until I try out heavier ones :)

Sweet Jesus am I addicted to Topre prOnz. I am planning to get a HHKab (normal or 'S'exy) in Japan when I go there. Until then I'm probably going to put together an Atreus or Minivan or JD40/5...

Lighter switches might be safe to start with, but if you have been exercising your fingers for a while, you might find them way too light.

My fingers are fairly strong, and I bottom out ever keyboard I use :D

I stay away from media these days ... too many great pictures of shiny things ... too much time drooling over them ... my precious ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 08:23:53 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Lighter switches might be safe to start with, but if you have been exercising your fingers for a while, you might find them way too light.

My fingers are fairly strong, and I bottom out ever keyboard I use :D

I stay away from media these days ... too many great pictures of shiny things ... too much time drooling over them ... my precious ...

The logic of lighter ones were "since I exercise them so much I should give them a rest" and my hand is fairly small. But then again what you said might be true too... If I want a heavier one I want to go for lubed blacks :D or just topre

Rip wallet