Author Topic: Greetings from London  (Read 2475 times)

Offline RRongo

• RRongo.me
Greetings from London
« on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 23:39:42 »
Hello and greetings,
I'm RRongo, and have been lurking through /r/MK for a few months, today I am taking a step towards hurting my wallet in favour of treating my fingers.
I just ordered a Planck PCB and Plate, and will soon start my first build!
I think I'll get MX blues, but will first try a sampler.
I look forward to assembling that, once they reach me in London.
After browsing through the subreddit, and having seen dozens of links to GH, I thought I would step in and join the party.

Offline sinetwo

Re: Greetings from London
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 10:10:27 »
Hey, from the UK here as well.

Got any designs?

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 13:43:59 »
Wow, nice first step! You're bold, unlike me  :D

I've been worrying about throw money at my first mech so much so that I haven't even gotten one...
Have you got any experience soldering? Where did you get your tools? I also wanted to do a custom 40 keyboard, but I was afraid the cost would add up to more than ideal. And I just could not find the perfect switch even though I've looked at a thousand descriptions of them. I need to get that sampler, but at the same time Topre is luring me away :P

Nice to see a fellow Londoner here. Come join the reddit discord channel so we can talk more and exchange memes :)

Offline sinetwo

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:55:58 »
Pollard, you could just buy a cheap premade and play with that - that's what I did and already I'm ready to DIY :)

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 15:31:31 »
Wow, look at all the Londoners in here all of a sudden. Maybe we should start thinking about a London meetup some time soon.

Offline RRongo

• RRongo.me
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 20:19:00 »
Hello sinetwo, no real designs to speak of, although considering I didn't order a Backplate or midplate for the planck, I thought about have a backplate cut in acrylic, from there I found a decent looking cnc cutter at razorlab.

Fun fact, they offer sheets of a fixed size, so to put it to better use, I added templates for a tkl, and 60% front plate, and a single hand of an ergodox, for later projects (didn't want to waste space).
I have my reservations regarding the materials, as I doubt a 3mm acrylic panel will offer much support. I haven't quite finished it, and might try to add holes for spacers.

As for soldering, I have only a little experience, and am using a rather cheap iron from amazon.
And a London meetup could be nice, I'd love any feedback  :thumb:

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 12:54:25 »
Pollard, you could just buy a cheap premade and play with that - that's what I did and already I'm ready to DIY :)

Wish I could, but since my money's not mine, I have to make it a one-time purchase (for now). I'm still trying to decide whether 60g is too heavy since I want to try Matias, I want an Atrues so so much.

Can we PLEASE have a London meetup :D Then I can try all your keebs for free   ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 05:52:18 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There was talk of a UK meetup, but not in London AFAICR.  Not sure if it eventuated, or if everyone's plans kept changing too much.  There are a few very prominent GH members in the UK, so coordinating a meetup to include them would make it a very interesting meetup indeed!

Using a switch tester is all very well, but won't really give you a feel for typing on a complete board.  Maybe you can find a computer store that will let you try a couple of keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sinetwo

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 06:22:31 »
Your best bet is to ask to try "gamer keyboards" with cherry switches. You should be able to try Brown, blue and maybe red and black.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Offline RRongo

• RRongo.me
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 14:51:53 »
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try that.
I've already convinced a few friends to consider getting mechs, so they'll be guinea pigs for my boards.
I've been looking at having acrylic cut to make backplates and cases, and have a friend who's seriously into fighting games, we might split the cost for the panels and make a fightstick at the same time ;D

I noticed that there are a handful of members who run online shops based in the uk, it could be nice to meet them ^-^

Anyway, I'm getting ready for a flight, and when I get home, I suspect many parts will have arrived.

Offline sinetwo

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 15:14:45 »
I have a newbie guide on how to make the cheapest arcade stick with sanwa buttons. Check out out http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/202199/newbie-guide-venom-ps4-mayflash-v2-full-sanwa-seimitsu-mod-with-octo-for-116-uk-pricing/p1

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Offline RRongo

• RRongo.me
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 16:11:20 »
Thanks again, I'll have a look at that back in London. I have the buttons a stick and ps360 board, but rather than a case, I cut holes in a folder, it was a ghetto board :p
Although I might go for a pseudo modular board, bc I like the hitbox layout :)