Author Topic: Hi.  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Erikdayo

Hi.
« on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 09:47:49 »
New here. I've lurked for 2-3 years but apparently never made an account. Just ordered a Leopold and a Realforce so I figured I'd finally register. Cherry MX Reds have been my favorite switches for a long time, but I wanted to give Topre 45g a shot.

Currently using a WASD V2 TKL which is very nice, but the board flex on the top left and space bar areas makes me feel like I could have gotten something a little nicer.

I'm a bit of an audiophile, gamer, and anime fan. Not much else to share at the moment.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hi.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 22:37:32 »
I'm a bit of an audiophile, gamer, and anime fan. Not much else to share at the moment.

Anime fan, eh?  I love Yowamushi Pedal to death... was literally on the floor laughing during that Hime, Hime sing along.  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 08:34:10 »
I actually have not watched that one, but I'll see if I can check out the first episode tonight!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 05:47:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Which Leopold did you get - an FC660C?

If so, going all out with the Topre :)

Also 2 to 3 years is a long time to lurk - what pushed you to finally join?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 15:46:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Which Leopold did you get - an FC660C?

If so, going all out with the Topre :)

Also 2 to 3 years is a long time to lurk - what pushed you to finally join?
Well. It's more that Geekhack results would come up in Google searches fairly often when I looked for information on keyboards and mice. I didn't actively browse through the forum threads. I finally decided to join after this latest keyboard binge. I suppose that's what did it.

The Leopold is a FC750R. I am quite liking it. As for Topre, I think I am already done with them. Not because I don't like Topre switches or the Realforce I got. Quite the opposite. The Realforce is easily the nicest keyboard I've ever owned. The issue is that I like the switches for typing, but when it comes to gaming I easily prefer my Reds. The light linear feel just feels nicer to me for gaming. I am not a typist or a programmer. My main home computer usage is browsing and gaming.

I think the main time the Topre would be an issue is when I'm doing early progression in the MMO I play. I play with a rather hardcore group that does 12-16 hour days for the 7-14 days. (unpaid vacation rip) And during that time I think the more tactile feel of the Topre would be most taxing. Otherwise I think it's fine for casual gaming even if I prefer linear.

I've been a TKL fan for years now, but I also have a POK3R on the way because I am interested in going smaller. Considering how little I use function keys, arrow keys, etc I don't think it'll really hinder me at all.

Offline decker

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 16:08:35 »
Welcome

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 22:10:22 »
Welcome :)

Anime fan, eh?  I love Yowamushi Pedal to death... was literally on the floor laughing during that Hime, Hime sing along.  :)

Hime hime :)) :)) :))

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 22:39:25 »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli