Author Topic: New to the niche, here to learn  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Arwym

New to the niche, here to learn
« on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 18:40:39 »
Hello!

I discovered custom keyboards / mechanical keyboards about a month ago, when two of my co-workers (we are programmers) first brought theirs to the office, and instantly, half the office decided to jump in as well. I am one of them.

However, cheap that I tend to be at first, and very cautious, I decided to go with a low-end mechanical, for which I am very worried, because I not only interested in the beautiful, clicky sounds and tactile feedback of the blue switches. I am strongly drawn to the customization aspect of this hobby, and I don't know how far I can go with this one. I am a gamer, and I love colors, but the rainbow does bore me after a while. Customization is therefore key to my personal needs. Because of that, I think I'll fit right into this hobby. ^^ Anyway, I went with a compact E-Element keyboard, because I like them with backlight, removable cables, and waterproof, at a price I can afford without raping my bank account. XD I also ordered 4 printed keycaps to start with.

For the not-so-remote future: I am already eyeing a Ducky One, though. I like simple designs, with the idea of giving them my own personal touch, and the One, being full-sized, seems like my perfect home keyboard. I'll keep the E-Element at the office.

Nice to meet you! Any wisdom you want to share is welcome.

Offline seville57

Re: New to the niche, here to learn
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 07:30:04 »
Hello!

I discovered custom keyboards / mechanical keyboards about a month ago, when two of my co-workers (we are programmers) first brought theirs to the office, and instantly, half the office decided to jump in as well. I am one of them.

However, cheap that I tend to be at first, and very cautious, I decided to go with a low-end mechanical, for which I am very worried, because I not only interested in the beautiful, clicky sounds and tactile feedback of the blue switches. I am strongly drawn to the customization aspect of this hobby, and I don't know how far I can go with this one. I am a gamer, and I love colors, but the rainbow does bore me after a while. Customization is therefore key to my personal needs. Because of that, I think I'll fit right into this hobby. ^^ Anyway, I went with a compact E-Element keyboard, because I like them with backlight, removable cables, and waterproof, at a price I can afford without raping my bank account. XD I also ordered 4 printed keycaps to start with.

For the not-so-remote future: I am already eyeing a Ducky One, though. I like simple designs, with the idea of giving them my own personal touch, and the One, being full-sized, seems like my perfect home keyboard. I'll keep the E-Element at the office.

Hello and welcome.

I have 2 Ducky Ones, 1 RGB YOTG with Cherry MX Black and 1 pink Ducky Transparent One with Cherry MX Red and white LEDs, the only thing I don't like on those k-boards is the Calc button, I liked the browser (?) button on the Ducky Shine 2/3/4 boards better.

Where I orderd my 2 Ducky Ones, there is some Ducky One without LEDs and some with LEDs. So keep a/or 2 eye/s open when you're buyin/orderin, so you get the right k - board.

With LEDs.
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1524

Without LEDs.
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1555

This my Pink One:  https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1537

Here is some bad pictures of my Ducky One RGB YOTG.

Here with the Jukebox SA keycaps set, the 2 orange pumpkins don't belong to the Jukebox SA set.

EDIT: Blues stay away from me.

At the moment I usin the Tai - Hao Miami keycaps set and a matchin Paracord 550 Miami sleeved Micro USB cable on the RGB board but are missin 4 caps, the Miami set is only 104 keys and the k-board are 108 keys. In Sweden where I live we have the terrible ISO/Nordic layout with this 3 letters Ö, Å, and Ä, 88 - 105/109 k - boards. It is a hell to find ISO/Nordic keycaps sets, so I bought my first ANSI k - board some years ago.

My Ducky One RGB YOTG with the Tai - Hao Miami set and 4 pumkins caps.

Here is the Tai - Hao Miami set and matchin Miami 550 Paracord sleeved Mini USB cable on my Ducky Shine 3, I used the "F1 - F4" caps from my second Miami set to get 108 keys.

Where I orderd my 550 Paracord Miami sleeved Mini and Micro USB cables: http://pexonpcs.co.uk/collections/usb-cables/products/usb-cables

http://pexonpcs.co.uk/pages/colours
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 09:21:19 by seville57 »

Offline Arwym

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 16:08:24 »
Thanks for the welcome! And, you read my mind! XD

I was searching for cool-looking, good-quality USB cables last night, and couldn't find anything to my liking. That site has just the thing. :')

I love the Tai-Hao Miami set, it's so pretty (and even more with the matching cable). I'll consider a Lucky Shine if I can save even more. The pink Ducky One is the one I was eyeing, but I do get second thoughts sometimes, and wonder if I should get it black. Anyway, I have until December to decide. :)

Thanks so much for sharing!

Hello!

Hello and welcome.

I have 2 Ducky Ones, 1 RGB YOTG with Cherry MX Black and 1 pink Ducky Transparent One with Cherry MX Red and white LEDs, the only thing I don't like on those k-boards is the Calc button, I liked the browser (?) button on the Ducky Shine 2/3/4 boards better.

Where I orderd my 2 Ducky Ones, there is some Ducky One without LEDs and some with LEDs. So keep a/or 2 eye/s open when you're buyin/orderin, so you get the right k - board.

With LEDs.
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1524

Without LEDs.
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1555

This my Pink One:  https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1537

Here is some bad pictures of my Ducky One RGB YOTG.

Show Image

Here with the Jukebox SA keycaps set, the 2 orange pumpkins don't belong to the Jukebox SA set.
Show Image

EDIT: Blues stay away from me.

At the moment I usin the Tai - Hao Miami keycaps set and a matchin Paracord 550 Miami sleeved Micro USB cable on the RGB board but are missin 4 caps, the Miami set is only 104 keys and the k-board are 108 keys. In Sweden where I live we have the terrible ISO/Nordic layout with this 3 letters Ö, Å, and Ä, 88 - 105/109 k - boards. It is a hell to find ISO/Nordic keycaps sets, so I bought my first ANSI k - board some years ago.

My Ducky One RGB YOTG with the Tai - Hao Miami set and 4 pumkins caps.
Show Image

Here is the Tai - Hao Miami set and matchin Miami 550 Paracord sleeved Mini USB cable on my Ducky Shine 3, I used the "F1 - F4" caps from my second Miami set to get 108 keys.
Show Image

Where I orderd my 550 Paracord Miami sleeved Mini and Micro USB cables: http://pexonpcs.co.uk/collections/usb-cables/products/usb-cables

http://pexonpcs.co.uk/pages/colours

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 19:36:41 »
To be honest I've had my eye on the YOTM keyboard ever since I noticed the pre-order on mechanicalkeyboards.com. Welcome aboard!

Offline Arwym

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 15:42:15 »
Thanks for all the awesome photos!

Here's my keyboard. It finally arrived today, and I am quite content with it.

My complaint is that I am still not 100% sure about the sizes in that right shift key and spacebar key.

Right shift looks like 1.5x or 1.75x but how to be sure?

Spacebar looks like standard, but I am not even sure what is standard for spacebars in these keyboards.

To be honest I've had my eye on the YOTM keyboard ever since I noticed the pre-order on mechanicalkeyboards.com. Welcome aboard!

Your renders look awesome. I started learning Blender this year for a college course, and it's quite fun. Glad to see another Blender artist.

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 October 2016, 15:48:56 by Arwym »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 16:08:09 »

My complaint is that I am still not 100% sure about the sizes in that right shift key and spacebar key.

Spacebar looks like standard, but I am not even sure what is standard for spacebars in these keyboards.

Your renders look awesome. I started learning Blender this year for a college course, and it's quite fun. Glad to see another Blender artist.

The spacebar looks to be standard. The right shift is probably 1.75u. Cheers, you're the first person to call me an artist. Too kind, seriously, I've so much more to learn about CGI :confused:

Offline Arwym

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 21:50:18 »

The spacebar looks to be standard. The right shift is probably 1.75u. Cheers, you're the first person to call me an artist. Too kind, seriously, I've so much more to learn about CGI :confused:

Verified, and you're right: the spacebar is 6.25u and the r. shift key is 1.75. I am already working on some custom backlight key cap designs. At the same time, I kind of wish I had bought a larger, full-size keyboard, to have more keys to play with. XD This is too much fun, and my wallet is giving me stares.