Author Topic: Lurker, Geek, and Ready  (Read 1903 times)

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
Lurker, Geek, and Ready
« on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 10:00:59 »
Hello everyone, Finally thought to make an account here. I have been a lurker, but not long-time lurker. I have been a member of the OCN forums for many years now, I work professionally as an IT Coordinator for a non-profit. Nearly my entire life I have been interested in anything to do with computers and just within the last few months I found out about the depth of the keyboard community.

My first mech was a christmas gift, an older version of the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate. Not backlit, it has the vintage MX Cherry Blues. Only thing done with it was yearly disassemble for cleaning, installed o-rings, and I stickerbombed the faceplate with just black and white stickers recently (This is the keyboard i leave at work for use incase I forget my daily-driver).

I used the MX Cherry Blues for almost 4 years and loved them to begin, but not so much anymore. I am no longer a fan of the clicky clack sound.

I recently switched from that keyboard to my current one. Nothing special but a decent entry-level board. MagicForce68 with Gateron REDs. I had a switch tester with most MX Cherry switches and most of the Gateron switches. I highly preferred the Gateron Reds over the MX Cherry Reds. It felt much smoother and less "scratchy" and after inspecting the plastic used on the switches, the Gateron plastic appeared to be smoother. I have small o-rings installed with very lite lubing. Keyboard is good for gaming but not so much for typing. The stock keycaps on these boards are absolutely gastly. Some of the worst sci-fi psuedo-gamer type fonts I have ever seen, but the shine-through aspect is a lot better than most I have seen. The legends shine perfectly without any bleed through in the actual plastic.

After using this keyboard now for a few months and becoming more involved in the community, I am ready to move up again and look for a Topre board. I have never typed on a Topre board yet, Hopefully the FL meetup they have planned on r/MK goes forward so I can test but I have almost made my mind up that I want a Topre as my next keyboard.

The only thing that throws me off is the lack of options for Topre, I highly prefer backlighting on my keyboards. Not so much RBG or shine through legends, but some light. We use natural light 99% of the time at work in my office so its fairly low-lit and I personally use very little artificial lighting n my home office other than what shines from my monitors and back-lit LEDs behind my monitors and desk but nothing direct. I was really interested in the RC930 (topre clone) because of the backlighting but not sure yet on what I want.

Outside of the computer world, my other hobbies include cars. I have a 94 Mustang Cobra project car and my daily driver is a 92 Corvette. (yes, I daily drive a corvette). I also enjoy the outdoors, sports, and things that I can build, tinker, put together with my hands.

I plan to be involved here, Looking forward to conversations with everyone and glad to be apart of this community.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
Re: Lurker, Geek, and Ready
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 11:39:22 »
Hi there, thanks for sharing your keyboard thoughts, history and a bit about yourself! Aside from the switches how did you feel about the Magicforce. You're moving on after only a couple months. Is that because you just want to try the Topre or because you were kind of meh about the MF68?

I love the out doors and making things too :D
Check out our Artisan keys at Primecaps.ca

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 10:21:01 »
Hi there, thanks for sharing your keyboard thoughts, history and a bit about yourself! Aside from the switches how did you feel about the Magicforce. You're moving on after only a couple months. Is that because you just want to try the Topre or because you were kind of meh about the MF68?

When i chose my MagicForce i did not have much experience with other mechanical keyboards. I used my Razer w/ MX Blues for many years but I knew I wanted something different. I bought a switch tester, and honestly did not know about Topre keyboards before my purchased. I really enjoyed the MX Reds from the tester but was not convinced to go all out on a keyboard with Reds., Zealios were very interesting to me and so where Browns. I chose the MagicForce because it pretty much offered exactly what i was looking for at the time. Gateron Reds (which i wanted over MX Reds), white LED backlit, 60% layout and all at a good price.

I am really enjoying the MF68 with Gat Reds much more than my old Razer w/ vintage Blues. BUT i definitely got sucked into the MK scene and preparing myself for an "end-game" Topre. Right now I am heavily leaning towards an HHKB, and hopefully modding with hyperspheres or dental bands. To me, the sound is pure sex.

Offline mushmouth

• mushmouth (Patrick Lonergan) Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 17:40:13 »

When i chose my MagicForce i did not have much experience with other mechanical keyboards. I used my Razer w/ MX Blues for many years but I knew I wanted something different. I bought a switch tester, and honestly did not know about Topre keyboards before my purchased. I really enjoyed the MX Reds from the tester but was not convinced to go all out on a keyboard with Reds., Zealios were very interesting to me and so where Browns. I chose the MagicForce because it pretty much offered exactly what i was looking for at the time. Gateron Reds (which i wanted over MX Reds), white LED backlit, 60% layout and all at a good price.

I am really enjoying the MF68 with Gat Reds much more than my old Razer w/ vintage Blues. BUT i definitely got sucked into the MK scene and preparing myself for an "end-game" Topre. Right now I am heavily leaning towards an HHKB, and hopefully modding with hyperspheres or dental bands. To me, the sound is pure sex.

That nice that someone else was looking for something else started with Razer. I started with Razer as well wanted something different tried mx black then went to buckspring.