Author Topic: New guy here.  (Read 2004 times)

Offline coozney

New guy here.
« on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 15:38:19 »
Hey guys!
Just made a geekhack account, but I frequently lurk over in /r/mechanicalkeyboards. I haven't actually been into mech keyboards for all that long, only since the beginning of the year, but I know I'm definitely hooked. So far I own a Corsair K70 RGB with MX Browns and a KBP V60 with Gateron Blues. I think the thing I like most about mechanical keyboards is the customization aspect. I love looking at all of the custom boards and artisans over on the subreddit. So far I own one artisan keycap, the Gem keycap in diamond.  I would love to try my hand at making artisans some day, but that will have to wait for now.
Thanks for reading!

KBP V60 Mini          Corsair K70 RGB

Offline RobotMalcolmX

• hackerman
Re: New guy here.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 15:52:31 »
Welcome to GH!

I personally haven't looked into making artisans, but I know there is a lot of good information available here when you start your pursuit; not to mention the wealth of knowledge that exists within some artisan makers themselves.

Offline coozney

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 16:13:36 »
Welcome to GH!

I personally haven't looked into making artisans, but I know there is a lot of good information available here when you start your pursuit; not to mention the wealth of knowledge that exists within some artisan makers themselves.

I haven't really even looked into it myself all that much. I know that this would be a good place to start researching if and when I do ever get around to trying it out.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 20:28:33 »
Welcome to GH!

I haven't really even looked into it myself all that much. I know that this would be a good place to start researching if and when I do ever get around to trying it out.

Welcome to GH! As someone who has recently started making caps I can attest that there is awesome info here to do it. There's a bit of a learning curve  and a slight expense to get into but its super fun and kind of exciting! When you  have the time and funds definitely give it a go.  :)
Check out our Artisan keys at Primecaps.ca

Offline coozney

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 21:19:55 »
Welcome to GH!

Welcome to GH! As someone who has recently started making caps I can attest that there is awesome info here to do it. There's a bit of a learning curve  and a slight expense to get into but its super fun and kind of exciting! When you  have the time and funds definitely give it a go.  :)

How much can I expect to spend if I want to start? I'm at school right now, but I was thinking about looking into it more this summer.

Offline pinkizhip

• No, you're a towel.
    • Prime Caps
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 10:45:13 »
Welcome to GH!

How much can I expect to spend if I want to start? I'm at school right now, but I was thinking about looking into it more this summer.

Well it kind of depends where you live and what products are available to you. Many peeps here are from the states(or so it seems) so some of the equipment seems to be cheaper than I have purchased it up in the great white north. It is possible to start making caps with perhaps 100$-150$ worth of materials( you might have some things you can use around the house),  that it probably a good place to start off. Getting into a vacuum chamber and pressure pot ups the cost significantly so it is best to have a go at it before getting to deeply into extra equipment. That being said if you want to produce high quality keys then some of the more expensive is usually required to eliminate bubbles.

To get started I would check out the Making Stuff Together forum. Some of the more prominent cap makers have some excellent process explanations in their threads. Do some reading, maybe find a starter kit, then give it a go. There is lots of trial and error but if you enjoy making things and have a bit of patience this can be a really fun adventure.
Check out our Artisan keys at Primecaps.ca

Offline coozney

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 12:23:14 »
Welcome to GH!

Well it kind of depends where you live and what products are available to you. Many peeps here are from the states(or so it seems) so some of the equipment seems to be cheaper than I have purchased it up in the great white north. It is possible to start making caps with perhaps 100$-150$ worth of materials( you might have some things you can use around the house),  that it probably a good place to start off. Getting into a vacuum chamber and pressure pot ups the cost significantly so it is best to have a go at it before getting to deeply into extra equipment. That being said if you want to produce high quality keys then some of the more expensive is usually required to eliminate bubbles.

To get started I would check out the Making Stuff Together forum. Some of the more prominent cap makers have some excellent process explanations in their threads. Do some reading, maybe find a starter kit, then give it a go. There is lots of trial and error but if you enjoy making things and have a bit of patience this can be a really fun adventure.

Uh oh. Patience, maybe I wont be able to do this after all. ;D