Author Topic: Hey all!  (Read 1959 times)

Offline TheRescuer

Hey all!
« on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 16:42:54 »
Hey everybody! I am just starting out in mechanical keyboards and I can easily see how one can become obsessed! I recently bought a Ducky Shine 3, which will be my first mechanical keyboard (once it is shipped to me), and I am already trying to research for some new keycaps. I have already made a list of other keyboards that I want, so i can see that this may be a dangerous hobby for me  ;D

Not to end my intro post with a question, but does anybody have recommendations for a TKL keyset for backlit boards? I have been having a bit of trouble tracking one down, other than for replacement sets.

Thanks and Hello again!

TheRescuer

Offline seville57

Re: Hey all!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 04:28:47 »
Hey everybody! I am just starting out in mechanical keyboards and I can easily see how one can become obsessed! I recently bought a Ducky Shine 3, which will be my first mechanical keyboard (once it is shipped to me), and I am already trying to research for some new keycaps. I have already made a list of other keyboards that I want, so i can see that this may be a dangerous hobby for me  ;D

Not to end my intro post with a question, but does anybody have recommendations for a TKL keyset for backlit boards? I have been having a bit of trouble tracking one down, other than for replacement sets.

Thanks and Hello again!

TheRescuer

Hi and welcome to GH!

Yes, it is a dangerous hobby so watch your wallet.

I have some Ducky k- boards, 1 Ducky One RGB YOTG, 1 pink Ducky One and some Ducky Shine 2/3/4. But I don't like the "Bigfoot" design on the Shine 4/5 RGB, Shine 3 and Ducky One looks much better.

Remember that the Ducky Shine 3 k - boards was/is a 87/108 (88/109 if it is a ISO/Nordic/UK layout board) keys, a lots of keycaps sets are only 104 keys.

One question, is the Ducky Shine 3 board you bought a TKL or a fullsize?

My ISO/Nordic Ducky Shine 3 YYY TKL.

My ANSI Ducky One RGB YOTG.

Edit: You check out Aliexpress, there is some (not so good?) Backlit keycaps sets, most of the sets are 37/104 keys but read the text carefully so you don't buy k - board, the info on Aliexpress is not so good sometimes.

You want a Backlit keycaps set like this (not that color)?

My ISO/Nordic Ducky Shine 2.

Sorry for the bad pictures.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 October 2016, 04:58:57 by seville57 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 07:20:11 »
Oh man. Lots of doubleshot PBT sets with backlight compatibility are being produced this year. Check out ebay and Taobao if you really want to dive in. AFAIK YOTM sports a doubleshot PBT keyset with backlight compatibility. Maybe Ducky will sell some different PBT keysets if YOTM sales do well  :)

Offline TheRescuer

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 14:31:54 »
Thanks for the replies guys! Ill have to check out those different places for some sets. My shine 3 is a TKL format, i think heading into MKs, im going to be seeing if different form factors would work for me (like 60% or others).

@seville57: Im really liking that Jukebox keyset, Looks good!

Offline seville57

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 16:02:49 »
Thanks for the replies guys! Ill have to check out those different places for some sets. My shine 3 is a TKL format, i think heading into MKs, im going to be seeing if different form factors would work for me (like 60% or others).

@seville57: Im really liking that Jukebox keyset, Looks good!

Thanks, it is from the first round Jukebox SA GB on Massdrop last year. The 2 orange pumpkins don't belong to the Jukebox SA set.