Author Topic: The Living Soldering Thread  (Read 1853326 times)

Offline dndlmx

Re: The Living Soldering Thread
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:46:00 »
I specifically ordered a Hakko FX-888 (analog) from vendor linked by OP, and received a digital instead.  ;D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:49:07 »
I ordered a Hakko FX-888 (analog) from vendor linked by OP, and received a digital instead.  ;D

Yes, I think it's in the OP now, but I posted a while back that you can get the new digital version for the price of the analog by ordering through niosales on eBay. It's a nice little discount. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 20:09:08 »
It's kinda confusing. I watched videos on the Hakko site, all I actually know how to do, is go up/down manually. I did manage to change to Celcius though.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 20:26:39 »
anyone want to trade their 888d for an 888? :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #204 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 21:11:46 »
Are they different enough to take the trouble?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #205 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 23:52:50 »
i might be crazy enough to get the tip thermometer and calibrate a digital unit. i will add some cash if you want it. and tips! i have tons of tips (even repeats for a dumb reason; reason: i am dumb).

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 23:58:57 »
that's a fake, but yes. the real one is an extremely accurate tip thermometer and retails for 200$.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 00:01:34 »
geez. on second thought maybe i should just buy a high end hakko station with hot air and sell you guys my 888

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 00:38:17 »
a single type K thermometer lead costs more than that ebay product. sorry, not legit :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 00:40:42 »
Maybe it's just stolen, bro. It could be real... :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 00:41:48 »
a single type K thermometer lead costs more than that ebay product. sorry, not legit :(

I know, the FG-100 is like $200.  :))

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 00:42:14 »
For keyboards, do you really need to be that accurate with temperature?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 00:46:15 »
no, i'm totally just anal beyond belief.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 00:52:34 »
ahaah i just remembered how much an fm-206 costs. yah, that's not happening for a while

still open to trading for an 888d! :D like old school analog dials? boy have i got a dial for you :D

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 10:45:22 »
Does anyone have any experience with the Weller WLC100? I am considering buying it but I'm worried about the fact it does not have a temperature control but rather 1-5 levels instead. Any  thoughts?
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 10:49:05 »
Does anyone have any experience with the Weller WLC100? I am considering buying it but I'm worried about the fact it does not have a temperature control but rather 1-5 levels instead. Any  thoughts?

I personally wouldn't recommend it, but it is better than an unregulated cheapo iron.

If you're looking for something cheap, get this: Yihua 936 from HobbyKing.

I bought one for testing purposes, but there is a breakdown of it here:

in memoriam

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 10:52:11 »
I prefer the analogue myself but I just picked one up but it seems I have to do an unexpected repair to it, so I have a question for you all how do they expect you to repair your soldering iron when the fix requires you to desolder and solder something?

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 11:15:16 »

I personally wouldn't recommend it, but it is better than an unregulated cheapo iron.

If you're looking for something cheap, get this: Yihua 936 from HobbyKing.

I bought one for testing purposes, but there is a breakdown of it here:

If you set idle on the above link it will pop up with a message ( bottom right ) telling you that you can buy it for ~$15 instead of a the ~16 ( i think it takes ~5 minutes ) as a one time offer if you want to save additional $1.  ;D

here is the message:

Hello shopper!
We noticed you've been looking at this product for a while and we would like to offer you a discount. If you click on the add to cart button below we can offer you this product for $15.62.
This offer will only show once.
If you leave this page or close this window you will not see this offer again.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 11:15:34 »
Another soldering iron.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 11:17:44 »
I prefer the analogue myself but I just picked one up but it seems I have to do an unexpected repair to it, so I have a question for you all how do they expect you to repair your soldering iron when the fix requires you to desolder and solder something?

You just picked one up, but it already needs a repair? I would RMA it under warranty. Or you could use another soldering iron, like metalliqaz said. :)

in memoriam

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #222 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 11:43:47 »
Another soldering iron.

You just picked one up, but it already needs a repair? I would RMA it under warranty. Or you could use another soldering iron, like metalliqaz said. :)

Well I got it used so I dont think I can RMA it and yes I do have another 888 I can repair it with but what if I didnt? It was more of a conundrum as you can buy replacement parts but you still need a second soldering iron to fix it. This reminds me of computers now days for the most part you need a computer to easily diagnose and fix another one.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 11:49:36 »
OP can be updated, the weller is 100 bucks+shipping on partsexpress, but it's only 86+free shipping on amazon. (Technically you can get 5-10 day shipping for free on P.E. but I think the super saver shipping is 5 or 3 day on Amazon and 2 day on Amazon Prime.)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BRC2XU/ref=dra_a_cs_lb_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradis-20

Shame I already ordered mine from P.E, live and learn.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 11:59:14 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 12:36:53 »
I would also recommended getting your solder from all-spec http://goo.gl/bLf3j they also have the best prices that I can find on the lindstrom tools. The only thing I would but from parts express is the WBT 4% silver solder http://goo.gl/xR3Jh as their the only one that I can find that carries it as a licensed distributor. All-Spec has also had every replacement part or accessory that ive need for and of my Hakko stuff.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #225 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 14:04:28 »
dang man, I already placed my full order from PE (I did end up caving and buying the roll of solder) now i'm finding that I could have saved like 25 bucks ordering from a couple of different stores. I guess it pays to price check.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 14:45:44 »
dang man, I already placed my full order from PE (I did end up caving and buying the roll of solder) now i'm finding that I could have saved like 25 bucks ordering from a couple of different stores. I guess it pays to price check.

yea all-spec has the best prices on solder that ive found online but wasnt easy to find. I actually found it when I was looking for my lindstrom wire cutters and they has the best price of the places that would sell to a normal old consumer like me.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 19:04:25 »
had one for years, did not like. bad temp recovery, takes forever to heat up, etc. etc.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #228 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 19:11:27 »
FX-888 is crazy, coming from a cheap Weller iron. It heats up in like 20 seconds, not even. MFW first time turning it on ->  :eek:

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #229 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:00:08 »
<3 my 888D. :)

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:03:00 »
had one for years, did not like. bad temp recovery, takes forever to heat up, etc. etc.

It heats up within a minute if you pre-heat on level 5, then drop it down to level 3 to use for soldering. I just finished soldering my QFR today and only had to heat it up at the start of the process.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:08:07 »
Just fired up my 888D for the first time...works like a dream.

Dropped 3 diodes on my phantom.  Got a couple left to go :)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #232 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:10:05 »

It heats up within a minute if you pre-heat on level 5, then drop it down to level 3 to use for soldering. I just finished soldering my QFR today and only had to heat it up at the start of the process.

I do the exact same thing here. WLC100 is good.
I love Elzy

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #233 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:11:41 »

Depending on the size of diodes, I recommend this tip. I was able to easily do 0603 size components with it. Maybe it's a little smaller than ideal for phantom diodes though... I just find the included standard tip huge for most keyboard work.  I originally got this for the super small stuff, but it was TOO small... it seemed to loose heat too fast at the end, even at full temp.

That said, there are so many hakko tips... if anyone has recommendations for keyboard work, I'd love to know!
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:13:45 by aggiejy »

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #234 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:18:59 »

Well I ended up buying a Hakko 936. Super excited! And it has an actual temperature controller.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #235 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 22:23:08 »

Depending on the size of diodes, I recommend this tip. I was able to easily do 0603 size components with it. Maybe it's a little smaller than ideal for phantom diodes though... I just find the included standard tip huge for most keyboard work.  I originally got this for the super small stuff, but it was TOO small... it seemed to loose heat too fast at the end, even at full temp.

That said, there are so many hakko tips... if anyone has recommendations for keyboard work, I'd love to know!

Sold - Thanks for the....wait for it.... TIP

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #236 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:13:51 »
I use the smallest chisel tip i think it 0.8mm as I do SMD diodes fairly frequently and some other SMD stuff every now and then. If I didnt do smd i would have just kept using the standard tip I believe a 1.6mm chisel as it was quite nice for switch though maybe a tad big for leds buts when use vertically on its side it would get the job done.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #237 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:21:23 »
Well, that second tip I linked was 0.2mm... so 0.8mm certainly isn't the smallest.  But really, it's too small to do anything with that I've come across.  And I doubt many people are doing stuff smaller than 0603 by hand anyway.  (I'm talking about SMT...)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:24:09 »
hakko 936 is the predecessor to the 888 series. basically the same thing in older plastic. all are good workhorse irons, as is the veneral wes51. seriously, those with the wlc100. you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE MISSING. the element in the latter irons actually heats up in like 10s, STOPS heating up when it hits temp, and then recovers w/in like 2-3s after every joint. it just makes life measuably better.

also, hakko's brass ball tip cleaners are freaking awesome. sponges suck

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:24:36 »
Well, that second tip I linked was 0.2mm... so 0.8mm certainly isn't the smallest.  But really, it's too small to do anything with that I've come across.  And I doubt many people are doing stuff smaller than 0603 by hand anyway.  (I'm talking about SMT...)

0.8 is the smallest chisel tip and even then only had a slight chisel very close to the tip but its there

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:27:46 »
also, hakko's brass ball tip cleaners are freaking awesome. sponges suck

ditto, though I think the one that comes with the 888 is too small and had too small a hole to get to it. Also people the wire sponge is to clean your tip not to put it in the back of your stand let your iron sit in to well its in the stand >.>

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #241 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:34:44 »
Also people the wire sponge is to clean your tip not to put it in the back of your stand let your iron sit in to well its in the stand >.>

Wut?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #242 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 00:09:57 »
umm

corrected: Also people the wire sponge is to clean your tip not to put it in the back of your stand let your iron sit in it well its in the stand >.>

basically the 888 i just bought used has the wire sponge where the tip of the iron ends up when you place the iron in the stand and the heat completely wrecked the wire sponge and who knows what it did to that tip. I just changed the tip right away when I got it because it looked very worn to me and i use a different size anyway.

EDIT: correcter. sorry, I made sure to give the cellular phone a talking to snf gave it a time out.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 03:03:32 by TheProfosist »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #243 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 02:33:53 »
basically the 888 i just bought used has the wire sponge where you tip of the iron ends up when you place the iron in the stand and the hear completely wrecked the wire sponge and who knows what it did to that tip I just changed it when I got it because it looked very worn to me and i use a different size anyway.

lol what? This is barely understandable. You need a keyboard with auto-correct.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 02:42:12 »
... yes you're not supposed to have the metal sponge in the rear compartment.  :-X

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #245 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 03:02:55 »
... yes you're not supposed to have the metal sponge in the rear compartment.  :-X

no as constant heat wrecks it and there is a nice spot with a hole in the front and if you take the bottom off you have easy access to put the sponge in. I know no one reads manuals but im pretty sure that thats in there.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 03:11:25 »
Hakko has videos online.
I didn't know the bottom came off, at first. I stuffed the wire sponge through the front hole.  ^-^

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #247 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 14:20:19 »
another thing is that I have bever had a helping hand that has lasted longer that a couple months they just seem to fall apart and it doesnt seem to matter at which price point I buy them either as their all mad just about the same. I bought a panavise instead http://goo.gl/WrQRF I havnt a clue if that a good price or not as I didnt get it from there. the one bad thing about the suction cup model os it only works on non porous surfaces since it a suction cup but now all the surfaces i work on are porous so im thinking about getting 2 of the ones your supposed to bolt to you workbench and mounting them to a board?

Also i would recommended good full spectrum lighting it makes everything so much easier to see I bought 2 of these http://amzn.to/19tQJSN but that was before you could just get light bulbs http://amzn.to/19tR1sO So now I would just buy a set of those bulbs and a pair of these http://amzn.to/19tRgUJ (they also have ones with stands for those of you cant clamp it to your table/desk/workbench.

for hand desoldering pumps I recommended either http://goo.gl/5r45g or http://goo.gl/4MhbZ they do also make which I would like but http://goo.gl/4qGAX but I havnt been able to find it anywhere but direct from them and their shipping is crazy high.

the Hakko 808 is a great desoldering iron from my experience but the price is steep compared to just a hand pump. But if you do get one I would recommend getting http://amzn.to/19tTyTJ so you have a stand to put it in and http://amzn.to/19tTNhR so you can tun it off without have to unplug the darn thing.

The Hakko 633-01 is also in my eyes a huge upgrade from the standard stand the comes with the 888 and the whole for the wire sponge and wire sponge it self is much larger. Another benefit is that paint chips dont come off and get stuck to your iron. i personally thought that it was a bit light when I received it so I added a bunch of lead weight to it since I had it lying around but I think that a personal preference thing. Also for those of you people that prefer a normal sponge the 633-02 is the same stand just with a standard sponge.

I have a multimeter and it seems pretty nice but I havnt a clue what brand or anything as i got it for a present one year, though it does support monitoring from a PC though a serial port. The heat gun that I have is just a standard milwaukee dual temp ehich I think is all I need right now and I was able to pick it up at the local Fleet Farm with a gift card I received. Its basically fool proof which most of their heat guns are, just dont get the digital read out one i know a few people that have had it and they only complain and usually returning it for one of their more simple models.

I also would recommend some nice hand tools as I had a crescent set and a set from radio shack that under regular use broke, dulled, or just plain wore out rather quickly. Lindstom was recommended to me so i bought a single wire cutter that I though fit what I  was using the old ones for and that was the model 8148 which has been wonderful not even a sign of wear yet. I plan to but a few more different pairs of cutters and pliers. But from what I have been told by a few people that use their products is stay from the ergonomic squishy handled blue ones as it feels like you have much less control well using them. They also have nice tweezers and though I havnt bought I assume their build is just as good as their pliers. As for screwsrivers i was recommended Moody Tools if your in the US their quality is supposedly bar none http://goo.gl/vCMIM this is the set i hope to purchase at some point http://amzn.to/12ekZhK replacing my craftsman set http://goo.gl/6gUwA which at the time was the only set i could find that had all the sizes I needed for ripping apart laptops. it is by no means great most of the chrome ones have lost their coating the rubber grip just spins on many of them bit I guess the do the job.

As for solder I use Kester 44 either 63/37 or 62/36/2. Also for some of my own projects I use WBT 4% silver solder http://goo.gl/xR3Jh

Hopefully this was all helpful and if you have any questions let me know.

on a side note I am looking for some nice solder wick and I was recommended chemtronics but i have no idea what kind I should get otherwise.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #248 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 20:53:04 »
Just got my Hakko 936 today. It is everything I dreamt it would be  :p

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #249 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:46:19 »
HAH! ebay. honestly, i think you got yourself a deal right there. iron is flawless and power source looks well loved -- probably well taken care of. just scrub the crap out of that holder and pick up a http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-599B-02-Solder-Cleaning-Sponge/dp/B000B6344M and you're good to go.

wiha makes the best small electronics hand tools in the world imo. snap on makes the best large mechanicals hand tools and compressor tools.