Author Topic: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!  (Read 151360 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 16:51:26 »
My wife thinks anyone's crazy who has more than one KB. So now that I have several of them, she considers me several times crazier than normal. Any excuse to avoid me, I guess.

How many pairs of shoes has she?
I hate this argument. Not all women have multiple closets full of shoes. Or handbags, or piles of makeup.  :rolleyes: If you were to use this style of argument to justify purchases, it should be to ask the wife how she considered her hobby, whatever that may be. Maybe she collects pottery, or baseball cards. Maybe she builds computers, or likes antiquing. It isn't always about frigging shoes. We are not all mindless automatons out searching for the next pair of Louis Vuitton's, cursing our husbands for wasting our shoe money on his stupid keyboards.

And I don't play basketball, yet I get asked daily.  Stereotypes aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 20:28:16 »
I have so many keyboards I don't know what to do with them all xD .
You just need to start collecting the vintage computers that the keyboards came with--problem solved!
I cannot move from one room to another in my house without shifting at least one box of keyboards xD . Most of them are the same models though, I have a while box full of AT102Ws for instance, a box of G80-3000s and several boxes of G81-8000s. So I can't even make a lot of reviews out of them because they're all the same xD .

Why so many of the same?  Unless you just love them of course. ;)

Having a bunch of working computers fully set up is a tremendous amount of space--if my parents didn't have such a large attic, I think most of my Ms would just be in a pile.  I just noticed in the last two weeks that I have 3 rubberdome Ms not even connected to anything--gotta change that.  But then I have to get more computers working.
I barely buy them, I just get them from recycling centres. But often they come in big batches - you know, a whole office that gets cleaned out, all using the same boards. Often I either sell the extras or dismantle some for spare parts, but I can't sell AT101s or (cableless) G81s or some others for any amount of money worth my time, even IF I could find the boxes to ship them in. It's not even worth the time to desolder/dismount all the thousands of switches on boards as common as those, and I can't give enough away to my friends and family xD . I genuinely don't know what to do with many of them.
Oh how much more I wish you were on this side of the pond.  I could give each one of those a good home where they would be used regularly.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 20:29:18 »
My wife thinks anyone's crazy who has more than one KB. So now that I have several of them, she considers me several times crazier than normal. Any excuse to avoid me, I guess.

I hate this argument. Not all women have multiple closets full of shoes. Or handbags, or piles of makeup.  :rolleyes: If you were to use this style of argument to justify purchases, it should be to ask the wife how she considered her hobby, whatever that may be. Maybe she collects pottery, or baseball cards. Maybe she builds computers, or likes antiquing. It isn't always about frigging shoes. We are not all mindless automatons out searching for the next pair of Louis Vuitton's, cursing our husbands for wasting our shoe money on his stupid keyboards.

And I don't play basketball, yet I get asked daily.  Stereotypes aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Do you also hear the 'hows the weather up there' joke regularly?  That's my favorite since I was always towered by people even 'normal' height.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 20:39:34 »

You don't play basket ball because you are too busy with your head in the clouds

Offline RyanArr

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 21:05:26 »
Hah, I have far more keyboards and shoes than my wife. I really need to get rid of some junk...

6'5" (196cm) here. Get this too often.

short person: You must play basketball!
me: You must be a jockey!
*silence*

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 21:53:20 »
Hah, I have far more keyboards and shoes than my wife. I really need to get rid of some junk...

*silence*

Yep, that works.  I don't know the origin of the joke, but I was called 'camel jockey' for a while in hs.  Racist remark maybe?  I dunno.  I thought it was funny.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 22:28:42 »

*silence*

Yep, that works.  I don't know the origin of the joke, but I was called 'camel jockey' for a while in hs.  Racist remark maybe?  I dunno.  I thought it was funny.

6'6" [6'7"?] (202cm) here...I usually get this at urinals (clubs/bars etc.):
[ShorterPerson]: dude, you should totally come play in my football/basketball team...would pay well at the senior level
[Me]: Nah, i'm too lazy...(endostoro)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 22:39:54 »

*silence*

[ShorterPerson]: dude, you should totally come play in my football/basketball team...would pay well at the senior level

New tallest person on geekhack

edit: im not even gonna try and fix this formatting
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 December 2015, 00:35:32 by swimmingbird »

Offline E3E

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:04:07 »
My grandpa was 6'4" Here I am at a meager 6'0". Live well, you relative giants, you!

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:06:14 »
My grandpa was 6'4" Here I am at a meager 6'0". Live well, you relative giants, you!

You're 6'0" with an Octagon mate, remember that... it matters  :thumb:

Offline E3E

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:10:25 »

Bahahaha. XD Well, that's a good piece of wisdom, my friend. I'll have to keep that in mind.  :))

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:12:23 »

Bahahaha. XD Well, that's a good piece of wisdom, my friend. I'll have to keep that in mind.  :))

Anytime  ;D

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:40:11 »

Why do you hate this argument? Ofc its wrong to presume that ALL women collect shoes, it was a simple question which in most cases are totally true, if you ask a guy if he likes cars, he is not going to be all: "OOHHAA why do you presume i like cars, why did you not ask me if i like pink barbie dolls instead" What you are doing is calling rowdy Misogynistic pig

Offline Mountain Man

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 09:33:08 »
My keyboard confession:

I bought a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and actually thought it was a great keyboard... until it developed faults within 9-months.  And this was even back when they were using genuine Cherry switches and not the junk switches they're using now.

Thankfully I learned my lesson and have been rocking a WASD v1 keyboard for the past several years.  Still going strong!

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 10:52:56 »

Why do you hate this argument? Ofc its wrong to presume that ALL women collect shoes, it was a simple question which in most cases are totally true, if you ask a guy if he likes cars, he is not going to be all: "OOHHAA why do you presume i like cars, why did you not ask me if i like pink barbie dolls instead" What you are doing is calling rowdy Misogynistic pig
No, if I were calling Rowdy (whom I like) a misogynistic pig I would use those words. What I'm saying is that it happens time and time again around here that guys will justify their purchases by saying "how many shoes does she own". See, the trouble is that Rowdy (in this case) doesn't know the wife. He is making a generalization. Which I find annoying af, because this one in particular isn't any truer for men then it is for women. You don't have to look far, even on this very site, to see men who spend some serious money on shoes.

Stereotypes exist for a reason, sure. My point wasn't that women don't like shoes, it was these comments are unnecessary. You could make the exact same argument and not assume someone does a "typical" female thing.

Surely you can understand why painting an entire group of people with a very broad stroke can be annoying. And, as person that was painted with that broad stroke I felt it well within my right to say why that could be handled a better way. Should we all just be quite when we think things can be improved? I'd rather have a voice than never say a word.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 11:49:44 »

*silence*

Breh

-_-

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 14:58:24 »

*silence*

Breh

-_-

Ah crap...I was sure Hoff had me (according to some of the photos from the meetups) :blank:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 15:17:29 »

Breh

-_-

Ah crap...I was sure Hoff had me (according to some of the photos from the meetups) :blank:

:P  It's very possible that there's someone taller though!  ;)

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 15:52:24 »

Breh

-_-

Oh I hope not, anything above 205 and you are ducking under most doors :(

One day I'll be in the states and will attend a con so that we can get an irl comparison shot  :thumb:

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 17:44:48 »

Breh

-_-

One day I'll be in the states and will attend a con so that we can get an irl comparison shot  :thumb:

fight to the death

118994-0

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 17:46:56 »

Breh

-_-

fight to the death

(Attachment Link)

Hmm, is there a keyboard-off!?

(I'm 100% sure Hoff would win if there were)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 17:48:58 »

Breh

-_-

fight to the death

(Attachment Link)

But...I'm taller.  Why do you want us to fight?  :(

@Glenmael, I'm already hitting door frames, lol.  :))  Also, if your 202cm is accurate (and 6'6" a guess), then you're really almost as tall as me anyway.  :eek:  That's really really close to being 6'8".  ;D

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 17:51:59 »

Breh

-_-

fight to the death

(Attachment Link)

@Glenmael, I'm already hitting door frames, lol.  :))  Also, if your 202cm is accurate (and 6'6" a guess), then you're really almost as tall as me anyway.  :eek:  That's really really close to being 6'8".  ;D

Haha, my hair props me up a few cms :D

I call it my 'buffer zone', if the hair clips the door frame I know I should (should have) ducked :D

Offline E3E

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 17:53:38 »
Well, if I could get that one guy I know who's 6'11" into mechanical keyboards...  ;D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 18:02:02 »
Well, if I could get that one guy I know who's 6'11" into mechanical keyboards...  ;D

That's cheating!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 18:05:33 »

Breh

-_-

fight to the death

(Attachment Link)

I thought the honour of being tallest person on gh would easily be worth killing fighting for

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 07:50:41 »
From the very limited time I have spent playing around with them, I kinda like Cherry MY switches...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 08:37:40 »
From the very limited time I have spent playing around with them, I kinda like Cherry MY switches...

Kat, are you okay?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 09:20:14 »

Kat, are you okay?

I dunno :( I've been away from my PC and more than one keyboard for so long, I think I am going a little bit crazy... They feel like MX Greys a little bit, just with a bit less of a bump... I'm still going to get rid of them for ergo clears, but they aren't horrendous.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 09:30:43 »

Kat, are you okay?

I dunno :( I've been away from my PC and more than one keyboard for so long, I think I am going a little bit crazy... They feel like MX Greys a little bit, just with a bit less of a bump... I'm still going to get rid of them for ergo clears, but they aren't horrendous.

TIL katushkin enjoys typing on soggy newspaper.  :P

I hope you can find redemption soon, brother.  :-*

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 09:43:04 »
TIL katushkin enjoys typing on soggy newspaper.  :P

I hope you can find redemption soon, brother.  :-*

Well as soon as I get a DIN to PS2 converter, I will know if I hate them like everybody else. Kind of like I did with MX Greys :))

Offline E3E

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 20:06:42 »
I make more typos with mechanicals than I ever have with my old scissor switch laptop keybords. That might also be because an increased state of DGAF due to my right thumb being janked up and requiring me to stay off of it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 20:09:55 »

Kat, are you okay?

I dunno :( I've been away from my PC and more than one keyboard for so long, I think I am going a little bit crazy... They feel like MX Greys a little bit, just with a bit less of a bump... !
I'm still going to get rid of them for ergo clears, but they aren't horrendous.

You do know cherry MY and MX switches aren't interchangeable right?

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 20:31:01 »
I make more typos with mechanicals than I ever have with my old scissor switch laptop keybords. That might also be because an increased state of DGAF due to my right thumb being janked up and requiring me to stay off of it.

This is true for me as well. But after typing on scissor switches for more than 10 minutes I get intense pain in sections of my hands.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 20:43:28 »
I bought a  kc60 from someone and didn't realize there were LEDs so I couldn't easily swap the switches in them with the zealios I ordered. Didn't have a soldering iron so i bought one. but i was too excited for the zealios so I just used some needle nose pliers and yanked out the LEDs as carefully as one could.  :-X :blank: :blank: :blank:
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 20:45:03 »
I bought a  kc60 from someone and didn't realize there were LEDs so I couldn't easily swap the switches in them with the zealios I ordered. Didn't have a soldering iron so i bought one. but i was too excited for the zealios so I just used some needle nose pliers and yanked out the LEDs as carefully as one could.  :-X :blank: :blank: :blank:

oh dear  :-X

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 20:46:15 »

This hurt me to read. I can't imagine how stressful that must have been.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #137 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 20:53:44 »

I've had a partially desoldered KC60 pcb on my desk for weeks now to do the exact same thing

I hate desoldering

Offline E3E

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 20:57:23 »

Holy shait. You literally ripped the LEDs off the PCB when they were still soldered to the PCB?

I can sympathize with every single emoticon in your message. Jesus. D:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:38:48 »

No, if I were calling Rowdy (whom I like) a misogynistic pig I would use those words. What I'm saying is that it happens time and time again around here that guys will justify their purchases by saying "how many shoes does she own". See, the trouble is that Rowdy (in this case) doesn't know the wife. He is making a generalization. Which I find annoying af, because this one in particular isn't any truer for men then it is for women. You don't have to look far, even on this very site, to see men who spend some serious money on shoes.

Stereotypes exist for a reason, sure. My point wasn't that women don't like shoes, it was these comments are unnecessary. You could make the exact same argument and not assume someone does a "typical" female thing.

Surely you can understand why painting an entire group of people with a very broad stroke can be annoying. And, as person that was painted with that broad stroke I felt it well within my right to say why that could be handled a better way. Should we all just be quite when we think things can be improved? I'd rather have a voice than never say a word.

I can assure you that no offence was intended, and I apologise for the unintended generalisations that I appear to have made.

FWIW the young lady to whom I made that remark (some years ago now) took it in very good spirit, and admitted she did have something of an obsession for collecting shoes.  In return, I suggested she ask her other male friends how many neck ties they had, a notion that she found interesting, although I do not know if she put it into practice.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 01:55:23 »

Kat, are you okay?

I dunno :( I've been away from my PC and more than one keyboard for so long, I think I am going a little bit crazy... They feel like MX Greys a little bit, just with a bit less of a bump... !

Yessss. I've got an 1800 PCB and plate coming from Leeku's most recent GB, so I can just pull the old one out and put the new one in. The caps are interchangeable though aren't they?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 04:26:51 »

I can assure you that no offence was intended, and I apologise for the unintended generalisations that I appear to have made.

FWIW the young lady to whom I made that remark (some years ago now) took it in very good spirit, and admitted she did have something of an obsession for collecting shoes.  In return, I suggested she ask her other male friends how many neck ties they had, a notion that she found interesting, although I do not know if she put it into practice.
I don't think that many men have lots of ties :P .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #142 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 05:23:10 »

Kat, are you okay?

Yessss. I've got an 1800 PCB and plate coming from Leeku's most recent GB, so I can just pull the old one out and put the new one in. The caps are interchangeable though aren't they?

Caps are all interchangeable, yep.  :thumb:

I haven't bought a tie since high school, and I still feel like I have way too many (15 or so?).  :confused:

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #143 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 09:41:30 »

Kat, are you okay?

I haven't bought a tie since high school, and I still feel like I have way too many (15 or so?).  :confused:
I don't own, or have ever owned, a single tie :p . I've only ever worn one for maybe a minute just to try it out and that was more than enough to put me off for life :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 11:01:12 »

Depends on how old you are and how often you have to wear ties. I have a good amount to wear, between frat events in college, formal parties and holidays it added up to me. Some people might only wear one for a wedding or a funeral. To each their own.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #145 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 12:02:01 »

Hoorayyyy  :D

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 12:35:20 »
I just open the bag of flaming hot cheetos and dump them into my mouth like a savage :(

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 15:37:21 »
getting down voted to hell on reddit for defending GH and ctrl alt actually makes me feel pretty good

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #148 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 17:45:49 »
getting down voted to hell on reddit for defending GH and ctrl alt actually makes me feel pretty good
[/quote

Lol, link me? What did you say?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder