Author Topic: [IC] DSA Scientific (April 10 launch)  (Read 75149 times)

Offline Artemie

• Don't Let Your Memes Be Dreams
Re: [Pre-IC] DSA Scientific [Samples]
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 12:38:13 »
Will DSA Scientific be revived?

Artemie
| 420CL | Fanoe | Porpoise | KFE R1 Silver| MxSS |  is0 Pink & Silver | HBCP Polycarbonate | Matrix 2.0 Additional Purple | TGR Police | Singa Jaguar Green | KFE R2 Blue | RS so lit | Dolch CR Black | Jelly 60 Blue | Belle en Rose | Kei R2 Olive | Dalco 959 Mini | Aripeko
More
Boards in GB: | IU board |
Previous Boards: QXP | Singa  | UTD | Taichi | Jane v2 Red | Jane v2 CE

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 12:44:50 »
Will DSA Scientific be revived?

I want to know as well, Really love the idea of this.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 09:27:22 »
Yes, I apologize for the radio silence...

I had a bit of an issue with my workstation and combined with summer time, this project was put on hold for a bit. That being said, as far as I'm concerned, it is still happening!

I received a second batch of samples from SP and I think the new stock colours are much more coherent with the color-matched samples. Here's the general esthetic we are going for in photorealistic lighting:

The idea is to cover most popular layouts (60% to full size), with a special thought for orthogonal, calculator-like boards such as the Planck/Preonic and of course various numpads.

Here's a (low quality) non-edited photo of the new samples, useful for comparison:

Stay tuned...

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 14:12:34 »
I'll take one of each colorway, please!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 14:28:02 »

I had a bit of an issue with my workstation and combined with summer time, this project was put on hold for a bit. That being said, as far as I'm concerned, it is still happening!

I received a second batch of samples from SP and I think the new stock colours are much more coherent with the color-matched samples. Here's the general esthetic we are going for in photorealistic lighting:

Show Image

Show Image

The idea is to cover most popular layouts (60% to full size), with a special thought for orthogonal, calculator-like boards such as the Planck/Preonic and of course various numpads.

Here's a (low quality) non-edited photo of the new samples, useful for comparison:

Show Image

Stay tuned...

For the Ti-30XIIS theme are you going to have a special "2nd" colored esc like the TI-30Xa set does? And I would recommend adding a TI-83 Plus "2nd" and "Alpha" colored esc and tilde(want both colors on the same board somehow) the main color scheme is the same for the two calculators, like in one of the old renders. As well adding an option for the TI-83 gray alphas as another kit would be nice. I love the TI-30Xa scheme so much, and if the above additions are made, I will definitely get a set of both. I have a small collection of calculators and it would be awesome to have boards themed after them. I am nerding out way to much atm...I need these in my life!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 June 2018, 14:32:09 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:02:56 »
For the Ti-30XIIS theme are you going to have a special "2nd" colored esc like the TI-30Xa set does? And I would recommend adding a TI-83 Plus "2nd" and "Alpha" colored esc and tilde(want both colors on the same board somehow) the main color scheme is the same for the two calculators, like in one of the old renders. As well adding an option for the TI-83 gray alphas as another kit would be nice. I love the TI-30Xa scheme so much, and if the above additions are made, I will definitely get a set of both. I have a small collection of calculators and it would be awesome to have boards themed after them. I am nerding out way to much atm...I need these in my life!

Yes, the "2nd" and "alpha" keys, along with other slate blue novelties, would be part of a TI-83 addon compatible with both main sets.

The alpha key will be in VBV (same as DSA Hyperfuse), VCO or VAG with a white legend. I will have to see the chips to decide.

I am trying my best to make mixing and matching as easy as possible.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:05:17 »
Double post...

While I'm here, VAF is also a possibility for the alpha key. Very hard to judge by what you see online!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:13:41 by voodoo5 »

Offline SingSong

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:35:19 »
The green and the blue are amazing colors.  I would honestly like to see more of them in the set, but I'm not sure how you would do that.  I'd buy an entire green set :)

I agree with all of this. XD That teal is unexpectedly appealing, and I'm always a sucker for green.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:45:23 »
These will be double shot right, to get white text on dark keys?
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 09:27:58 »
These will be double shot right, to get white text on dark keys?

Yes, double-shot ABS :thumb:

The green and the blue are amazing colors.  I would honestly like to see more of them in the set, but I'm not sure how you would do that.  I'd buy an entire green set :)

I agree with all of this. XD That teal is unexpectedly appealing, and I'm always a sucker for green.

This 1800-style board begs to differ... showing off the bar/dot homing keys as well.

Let's consider the full-size board (see "Old renders" section of OP):

The ratio of teal (or slate blue) modifiers to the other modifiers (symmetric colourway):

24 key units of teal modifiers
37.75 key units of other modifiers

37.75 / 24 = 1.57291666...

which is only 1 key unit (too many) away from the Golden ratio:

(1 + sqrt(5)) / 2 = 1.61803398... = φ

related to the Fibonacci spiral:

Bonus:

Let's consider the tenkeyless board:

The ratio of teal modifiers to the other modifiers:

37.75 / 12 ≈ π (pi)

:cool:

Offline portbaron

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 15:03:21 »
This is the first DSA set I've actually wanted.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 15:27:37 »
This is the first DSA set I've actually wanted.

Same, I just love this too much to not get it. And uniform profile matches how those calculators are, which makes it that much nicer.

Offline Artemie

• Don't Let Your Memes Be Dreams
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 23:20:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Stay tuned...

This looks really really good!

Artemie
| 420CL | Fanoe | Porpoise | KFE R1 Silver| MxSS |  is0 Pink & Silver | HBCP Polycarbonate | Matrix 2.0 Additional Purple | TGR Police | Singa Jaguar Green | KFE R2 Blue | RS so lit | Dolch CR Black | Jelly 60 Blue | Belle en Rose | Kei R2 Olive | Dalco 959 Mini | Aripeko
More
Boards in GB: | IU board |
Previous Boards: QXP | Singa  | UTD | Taichi | Jane v2 Red | Jane v2 CE

Offline FSund

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 03:36:04 »
As others have said, that deep teal looks amazing. I'm mostly using 60% and smaller these days though, so it seems like I almost wouldn't getg any keycaps of that color on my boards.
Would you consider a 40s/planck/preonic kit with more of the mods in the teal color? Perhaps all left hand side mods in black and all right hand side in deep teal, like on the TI-30Xa.

Something like this would be great
201435-0
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 16:57:47 »
This looks so nice. Id be in for a set

Offline young_won

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 19:32:42 »
why scientific?
call calculator better than scientific.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 20:09:18 »
why scientific?

Because most of the color schemes are from scientific calculators, And it is a better name imo.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 20:31:18 »
why scientific?

Because that's what I suggested and it stuck  :))

DSA TI-30Xa™ & TI-30XIIS™ just don't roll off the tongue.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Chimera

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 21:33:10 »
I really like the colors, but dsa is a pass. Would 150% be in for GMK though

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 08:22:49 »

Everyone has their preferences. 

After 30 or so keyboards, I just realized about a month ago that I can’t tolerate DSA on boards with anything over 7 degrees slope.  I love DSA but on an angled board it feels wrong. Put them on a flat board and it’s smooth sailing.

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 17:12:38 »
funny cause id pass if this was gmk, i guess its just matter of what you like.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 11:01:43 »
As others have said, that deep teal looks amazing. I'm mostly using 60% and smaller these days though, so it seems like I almost wouldn't getg any keycaps of that color on my boards.
Would you consider a 40s/planck/preonic kit with more of the mods in the teal color? Perhaps all left hand side mods in black and all right hand side in deep teal, like on the TI-30Xa.

(Attachment Link)

Well, there is going to be enough teal keys to do the symmetrical look on 40%. Although, I can't guarantee you which keys. They will most likely be extras or keys out of a TKL or numpad kit.

Personally, I think less is more... (ie. no plans for coloured spacebars) As a reference, I like the Wolf Mark GB approach.

Offline Water lee

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 23:50:09 »
very nice
make it better!

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 06:37:40 »
that combo one is *chef kiss* beautiful

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 15:17:46 »
Please tell me that this is still alive. I'm very interested in this set.

Offline trabbit

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 23:09:15 »
Please tell me that this is still alive. I'm very interested in this set.

ME TOOOOOOOOO!

Offline steaktato

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 06:51:22 »
This looks amazing, any chance of an ergo kit?

Offline FSund

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 07:16:51 »

(Attachment Link)

Well, there is going to be enough teal keys to do the symmetrical look on 40%. Although, I can't guarantee you which keys. They will most likely be extras or keys out of a TKL or numpad kit.

Personally, I think less is more... (ie. no plans for coloured spacebars) As a reference, I like the Wolf Mark GB approach.

Have you figured out the kits yet?
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 11:59:52 »

Hey, sorry again for dragging.

This project has been wider undertaking than it appears... For this group buy, I am contemplating setting up an online portal that is more secure and user friendly than some google form.

Also, since I am located in Canada, I have to go a step further to make sure I can import tax-free. Dealing with the CBSA and CRA has been unfruitful at times, to say the least.

These steps are necessary to keep the project alive in the event that established vendors reject our IC. I will be looking for help in the Montreal area.

Finally, I have been experimenting with Wordpress, and so far so good. Here is a preview:

https://yakk.shop

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 12:05:06 »

Hey, sorry again for dragging.

This project has been wider undertaking than it appears... For this group buy, I am contemplating setting up an online portal that is more secure and user friendly than some google form.

Also, since I am located in Canada, I have to go a step further to make sure I can import tax-free. Dealing with the CBSA and CRA has been unfruitful at times, to say the least.

These steps are necessary to keep the project alive in the event that established vendors reject our IC. I will be looking for help in the Montreal area.

Finally, I have been experimenting with Wordpress, and so far so good. Here is a preview:

https://yakk.shop

Maybe partner with a US-based vendor to accept and distribute the keys so that you don't have to account for border taxes? Novelkeys would be my vote (though obviously there are financial repercussions to a partnership).

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 05:53:45 »
This is the first keycap set I've seen that could be even more stunning than canvas. I want it!
But please add a Norde Kit :)

Insert Signature without plastics

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
Re: [IC] DSA Scientific [we need your input for kits!]
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 13:27:16 »
I have updated the OP. I will post up-to-date renders during the next few days.

I hope to take in as much input as needed to provide the best options for those interested. I am by no means a layout expert.

My philosophy is to keep it simple and support the most common layouts, and orthogonal. The kits are loosely based on @zslane's SA Dasher & Dancer GB, with the added simplicity that DSA has only a single profile (keys can fit on any row, which replicates the calculator feel quite nicely.)

Here are the proposed kits with descriptions:

Tenkeyless

• Two main sets
  • The coloured Enter and Esc keys are meant for 60%

Numpad

• Fits most
  • Extra 'Cal' keys

Specialty

• Basic compatibility for various bottom rows
  • Control/Caps Lock offset keys
  • Extra 2.25u and 1.75u Shift keys
  • 1.5u 'Clear' as a Backspace/Delete compromise
  • 1.5u '2nd' key for Vortex Race 3... rationale: I have seen a few of these boards pop up recently, and I like the idea;
    it nicely offsets the F-row and reminds me of my Thinkpad keyboard. By using a non-'Esc' legend, this extra key could
    otherwise serve as a bottom row modifier or Tab key, for example. Let me know what you think?

Ortho

• Planck and Preonic in mind
  • 'h-bar' (reduced Planck constant) keys moved to novelties kit

ISO

• Coloured Enter key and symmetrical colourway

Novelties

• Subject to change...
  • Various trigonometry and log functions
  • Mathematical/physical constants. The idea is to have novelties that are aesthetically pleasing, low-key, meaningful and so on,
    as well as actually manufacturable. Initially, I considered many operations such as x^-1, sqrt{x}, 10^x, etc. but they
    were dropped in favour of the above. Typeface is LaTeX. Happy to hear your suggestions.

TI-83

• (right) Add-on for either main sets (see renders). The main sets are inspired by the TI-30Xa and TI-30IIS calculators,
    this is a conversion kit for a theme akin to the legendary TI-83 / TI-83 Plus graphical calculators.
  • (left) Modifier add-on for grey/teal main set. Aimed at 60% users and those in need of more colour.

Pocket

• Add-on for Numpad kit intended for Ducky Pocket— had to do it!

Spacebars

• 6u, 6.5u and 7u

What else?
  • Blanks kit
  • A pack of DSA relegendables could be interesting for this theme, depending on the price.
  • Other kits such as Ergodox, Norde, 40%, extra modifiers, etc. will depend on the demand (MD poll incoming). At the time of writing, I am anticipating a modest size group buy.

I need your help and suggestions to make these kits better!

« Last Edit: Tue, 16 October 2018, 15:10:14 by voodoo5 »

Offline portbaron

Re: [IC] DSA Scientific (we need your input for kits!)
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 13:39:57 »
Looks good, glad this is alive. I'm onboard, it already has everything I'd use on an 1800. People will probably just be waiting for 7u spacebars.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 13:45:17 »
So happy to see this moving forward again. Do you know what vendor you plan on running this through?

Offline wongie

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 13:51:39 »
Any chance for a 1.5 backspace added to the speciality kit?

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 14:07:30 »
So happy to see this moving forward again. Do you know what vendor you plan on running this through?

I have an idea, but nothing official. I am also considering going independent; it all depends on the size of this GB, which is what I am trying to gauge right now.

I am actually torn between a 1.5u Delete and Backspace. I went with Delete because the calculators usually have a 'Del' button (and it's compatible with HHKB and Race 3). I am also considering a more neutral legend like 'Clear'.

For what board do you need the 1.5u Backspace, specifically?

Offline wongie

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 15:27:56 »
 whoops, double post
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 October 2018, 15:32:44 by wongie »

Offline wongie

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 15:32:04 »

I am actually torn between a 1.5u Delete and Backspace. I went with Delete because the calculators usually have a 'Del' button (and it's compatible with HHKB and Race 3). I am also considering a more neutral legend like 'Clear'.

For what board do you need the 1.5u Backspace, specifically?

No board in particular but for both my 65ers, M65 and Zephyr, I tend to have 1.5 backspace and 1 del above. It's something I've noticed a lot big name sets tend to cater more and more to these day ie Carbon R2, Oblivion, Violet Tendencies, Serika, Space Cadet and Honeywell. Some provide both whereas some even only offer backspace. Granted they are all GMK sets, the only big DSA set I can think of that offers 1.5 backspace is Granite.

Offline poulsen93

Re: [IC] DSA Scientific (we need your input on kits!)
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 02:34:14 »
This set looks really cool, would love to have it.
How big is the interest in a Norde kit? This set would be perfect for me if I could get it with a Norde kit.

Offline wongie

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 02:39:03 »

Granted they are all GMK sets, the only big DSA set I can think of that offers 1.5 backspace is Granite.

Also, just thought of DSA Royal navy which also features a 1.5 backspace.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 October 2018, 02:41:29 by wongie »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 09:12:44 »

Granted they are all GMK sets, the only big DSA set I can think of that offers 1.5 backspace is Granite.

Also, just thought of DSA Royal navy which also features a 1.5 backspace.

I will try to include both Backspace and Delete.

Although, how would you feel about a Clear key instead? Is Delete awkward because you have the Del key right next to it?

If I include a 1.5u Backspace only, then I have to remove the 1.5u Esc/2nd as well.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 09:46:38 »
Although, how would you feel about a Clear key instead? Is Delete awkward because you have the Del key right next to it?

Offline wongie

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 10:04:50 »
I will try to include both Backspace and Delete.

If I include a 1.5u Backspace only, then I have to remove the 1.5u Esc/2nd as well.

Delete is indeed awkward because of a second 1 unit delete. As to having a Clear key instead, I can definitely go with that. I think it works thematically and avoids the issue of duplicate delete. If you could only get away with a single 1.5 delete/backspace cap in that set I think Clear is the best solution as it caters to more people.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 10:13:13 »
Delete is indeed awkward because of a second 1 unit delete. As to having a Clear key instead, I can definitely go with that. I think it works thematically and avoids the issue of duplicate delete. If you could only get away with a single 1.5 delete/backspace cap in that set I think Clear is the best solution as it caters to more people.

:thumb:

Speaking of awkward...

That 2u delete (macbook style) is actually included with the Race 3... with nothing to replace the 1.5u Delete.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 10:41:17 »
This set looks really cool, would love to have it.
How big is the interest in a Norde kit? This set would be perfect for me if I could get it with a Norde kit.

I will setup a poll and include the Norde option.

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 11:53:50 »
 like the kits but the novlties seem to leave something to be desired and id want less of them tbh cause thats gonna be a pretty expensive yet redundant kit.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 13:11:45 »
the novlties seem to leave something to be desired and id want less of them tbh cause thats gonna be a pretty expensive yet redundant kit.

I kind of agree with that statement.

However don't forget that this is actually two kits (2 x 18 keys).

Did you want to see more "mathematical" graphics (eg. x!, 1/x, etc.) or is it the sin/cos/tan that is redundant in two colours?

I will try to figure something out.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 19:29:09 »
How about a kit with homing H U N T keys for Dvorak, Colemak, Workman, and Norman?

« Last Edit: Fri, 09 November 2018, 14:21:23 by dvorcol »

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 19:43:21 »
the novlties seem to leave something to be desired and id want less of them tbh cause thats gonna be a pretty expensive yet redundant kit.

I kind of agree with that statement.

However don't forget that this is actually two kits (2 x 18 keys).

Did you want to see more "mathematical" graphics (eg. x!, 1/x, etc.) or is it the sin/cos/tan that is redundant in two colours?

I will try to figure something out.

i suppose more mathematical graphics would be nice and i would add color if possible to them as well it would be nice i think and help with interest of the novelties pack. i thought that the sin/cos/tan was a little redundant, but i know some may like it.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 16:11:43 »
How about a kit with homing H U N T keys for Dvorak, Colemak, Workman, and Norman?

I will include it in the upcoming MD poll.

i suppose more mathematical graphics would be nice and i would add color if possible to them as well it would be nice i think and help with interest of the novelties pack. i thought that the sin/cos/tan was a little redundant, but i know some may like it.

Removed some keys from the novelties and added a teal modifier option to the TI-83 kit. Obviously, I am restraining myself on colour because I think it will quickly upset the balance.

I will see about other math functions but I think this good for now.