Author Topic: [IC] GMK Space Cadet, launches August 3rd 2018 on Massdrop  (Read 182301 times)

Offline BobCarltheThird

Re: [IC] GMK Space Cadet
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 11:02:11 »
I own a Hyper7 set that I got from the R6 leftovers and I like it, but I don't think anyone should have to spend $400 to obtain a keyset, however nice. This looks like a nice and affordable alternative to selling your soul for some plastic.

I think arguing over the "authenticity" of a space cadet set in a different profile is absurd. There is what, one person who has actually assembled a proper space cadet board in a proper replication of the original. Literally everyone else bought the set and paired it with standard modifiers because math runes look cool. And math runes still look cool in a different profile.

Agreed with this. It's always good to learn from the past. Bonus points to maybe getting the Massdrop only shoppers exited about a rerun of the SA set  ;)
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline blighty

« Reply #151 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 11:22:13 »
Any chance for side printing on the numpad for the nav keys (home/end/pg up/pg dn/delete)?  I know it takes a bit away from the aesthetic, but can't hurt to ask.  As it stands, I think I'm in for all kits but the ergopreonic, so it would be just a bonus.
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 11:35:24 »
I'm in as long we can get the "Rub Out" legend on every alpha key

Offline zslane

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 12:18:27 »
A majority of purchasers aren't going to buy this because it's space cadet.  They're going to buy it because it looks cool and has funky sublegends...

Yes, and therein lies the great tragedy of a set offering like this.

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 13:29:25 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2018, 13:33:51 by nsmechkb »

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 14:07:56 »
A majority of purchasers aren't going to buy this because it's space cadet.  They're going to buy it because it looks cool and has funky sublegends...

Or now people who otherwise wouldn't have had any idea what Space Cadet is will now become woke...
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 14:32:06 »

Or now people who otherwise wouldn't have had any idea what Space Cadet is will now become woke...

Elitists will be elitists I suppose, can't possibly have something that would draw attention to a piece of history if it isn't exactly the same as what its imitating.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 15:53:53 »
Definitely interested.

Can't help but be sad that the text is left aligned instead of centered but still excited. Anyone know why that has to be the case?

I am also putting out there that i'd be interested in printing the front legends if that's on the table. Doesn't really matter if front legends are doubleshot since they don't wear anyway.

TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 15:56:26 »
Definitely interested.

Can't help but be sad that the text is left aligned instead of centered but still excited. Anyone know why that has to be the case?

I am also putting out there that i'd be interested in printing the front legends if that's on the table. Doesn't really matter if front legends are doubleshot since they don't wear anyway.

Probably because that's the standard space for GMK, maybe it just hasn't been thought about yet?

I'd also prefer centered legends.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 16:02:30 »
left aligned pls

i don't like centered legends unless they're large like on SA
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 16:46:37 »
left aligned pls

I'm with Puddsy. This set is for those of us who appreciate space cadet and it's design, but prefer cherry profile. I think it does a good job of that. It's unreasonable to expect this to look like an SA set when it's not one.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2018, 20:09:55 by Iredeus »

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 17:17:47 »
left aligned pls

I'm with Pudsey. This set is for those of us who appreciate space cadet and it's design, but prefer cherry profile. I think it does a good job of that. It's unreasonable to expect this to look like an SA set when it's not one.

I see where you're coming from there. I don't want centered legends so that it looks like SA. I prefer centered legends because with two rows left aligned legends look weird with one row being left aligned and one being right. I vastly prefer cherry profile and on cherry profile left centered legends look best when you only have 1 row, but with two rows for me it changes.

I'm going to enter this GB either way though.

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 18:00:39 »
Any legend that differs from current available ones at GMK may imply new molds, that may imply a huge premium. Besides, off centered legends look good on Cherry profile.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 18:13:03 »
Any legend that differs from current available ones at GMK may imply new molds, that may imply a huge premium. Besides, off centered legends look good on Cherry profile.

You're definitely more experienced than me with working with GMK but wouldn't the addition of the extra legends already require a new mold?

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 18:36:22 »

You're definitely more experienced than me with working with GMK but wouldn't the addition of the extra legends already require a new mold?

Yes but only for the alphas that are new, people are talking about centered modifiers as well, which would add another 40 molds or so to cover everything. Some suggested to center the cadet alphas, but seem to forget that this would also require the numbers row to be recreated centered as well, and the other 8 or so keys right of the alphas.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 18:43:40 »

Yes but only for the alphas that are new, people are talking about centered modifiers as well, which would add another 40 molds or so to cover everything. Some suggested to center the cadet alphas, but seem to forget that this would also require the numbers row to be recreated centered as well, and the other 8 or so keys right of the alphas.

Ah that's a good point I hadn't thought that centering the alphas would require centering all the other keys. Thanks for the clarification. Good luck with the GB.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 19:58:06 »

can you make a render with centered mods pls
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 20:56:38 »
Enough with this centred nonsense. This is GMK. Let’s get this set into GB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 21:00:05 »
I can't believe this thread is only 2 days old and has grown this much. Same characters waging the same wars too... I love this forum :)

As for the set, I'm definitely interested. I prefer this colorway/set in an SA profile, but I'm truly excited to see how it shapes up with GMK. Either way, gotta love a well done throwback to a classic board.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 22:22:12 »
I can't believe this thread is only 2 days old and has grown this much. Same characters waging the same wars too... I love this forum :)

As for the set, I'm definitely interested. I prefer this colorway/set in an SA profile, but I'm truly excited to see how it shapes up with GMK. Either way, gotta love a well done throwback to a classic board.

it's not GH if every IC isn't the same

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 23:08:15 »
Sorry that I didnt have time to go thru all the comments, wondering if is it possible to make the blue alpha as the main alpha is the base kit?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 01:10:06 »
Sorry that I didnt have time to go thru all the comments, wondering if is it possible to make the blue alpha as the main alpha is the base kit?

oblotzky said that that is not faithful to the original, and i don't think it'll be offered classic style because of the 10 euro "tax" gmk puts on split kits like that

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 10:25:05 »
So much hype, I am definitely in.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 11:25:59 »
GMK Red Samurai re-used the already paid for GMK Laser molds, so your math is wrong!

About the arrows, could we forget about the space cadet layout and use the vim standard instead?

(Attachment Link)

+1 for this, or either the IJKL inverted T arrow cluster.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 11:44:47 »
GMK Red Samurai re-used the already paid for GMK Laser molds, so your math is wrong!

About the arrows, could we forget about the space cadet layout and use the vim standard instead?

(Attachment Link)

I don't understand why we should prioritize VIM theme over Space Cadet? This has nothing to do with VIM, just because there are arrows similar to the ones VIM has?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 11:56:35 »

(Attachment Link)

The reasoning is that space cadet symbols are novelties while the VIM or inverted T arrows are actually used by some fellows, me included. I use space-Fn plus IJKL as arrows; while, I really do not need any visual reference to access my arrow cluster, it would be nice to have them as reference, even if I touch type.

I don't understand why we should prioritize VIM theme over Space Cadet? This has nothing to do with VIM, just because there are arrows similar to the ones VIM has?

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 01:02:08 »

(Attachment Link)

Pls keep the top legends as is.  My understanding is those were meant to enter APL characters and conceptually different from VIM navigation keys.
I do appreciate VIM modality and all the goodness there (emacs with evil user), but those VIM nav keys would be out of place and alien here.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 02:44:21 »
People who use VIM will know there arrow position and don't look onto the board, so there is really no need to edit this legendary keyboard layout for a few vim users.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 06:27:40 »
Space Cadet keyboards belonged to Lisp machines, which used a variant of emacs. So adding vim arrows not only goes against the original keyboard, but goes against the history of the machine too. IMO it should be left as is.
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 11:49:59 »
I agree with the general view of space cadet sub legends as part of its authenticity, therefore, changing them goes against of the nature of a set like this.

Offline zslane

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 12:08:53 »
Space Cadet keyboards belonged to Lisp machines, which used a variant of emacs. So adding vim arrows not only goes against the original keyboard, but goes against the history of the machine too. IMO it should be left as is.

This.  :thumb:

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 15:01:23 »

I'm neither for nor against the centered mods but I'd suggest that doing so would create value for the community. The centered mods and numbers could then be used by other sets. Perhaps another group buy could do centered alphas and then the community would have both centered and standard GMK molds to work with.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 16:20:44 »

I'm neither for nor against the centered mods but I'd suggest that doing so would create value for the community. The centered mods and numbers could then be used by other sets. Perhaps another group buy could do centered alphas and then the community would have both centered and standard GMK molds to work with.

Unless GMK want to support some of the cost for such new molds the premium on this group buy would be unbearable.

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 17:09:24 »
Really like that set a lot!

@Oblotzky: do you know if GMK has molds for ISO-CH? Just curious, not that I really think this is ever going to happen.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 17:33:15 »

@Oblotzky: do you know if GMK has molds for ISO-CH? Just curious, not that I really think this is ever going to happen.

No idea

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 18:03:03 »
Personally I've always been from the school of thought that I want something that looks cool number one, I've never really cared that much for the theme or history etc that inspires a set. I realise that other people are fiercely protective over replicating the OG as precisely as possible, and I think you've got a pretty good compromise between the two here.

This looks great in my opinion, personally would prefer icon only or text + icon mods. I think icon could go well seeing as there are already a lot of 'icons' as sub legends. I realise this is an extremely contentious topic though and a lot of people will disagree/get triggered =S. Just giving my opinion anyway =].

The most important question I had was could you change the R3 backslash/pipe key to something else? I realise different European countries use a variety of different keys/layouts left of return but the only layout I'm familiar with that uses that R3 key is the mac? Maybe 'US ISO'? I'm not asking to have exactly the correct key for the UK layout but just something else, so that EU people that are ok with not buying the NordeUK kit and having exactly the correct legends on those keys could at least have different legends on the keys to the left of return and to the right of left ISO shift if that makes sense? Sorry I've probably done a really terrible job of explaining that! Thanks =]

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 18:08:22 »
^
To add a suggestion as what to use for my request above, maybe back quote/tilde? I'm somewhat biased though as I'm mainly a 60% guy =P

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #187 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 18:33:03 »
You da man Oblotzky, this set looks great & has awesome compatibility with just the base! :thumb: I am 100% behind this set & will even break my no Massdrop rule for it TBH (and that's a huge stretch for me as I have pretty much completely sworn off using MD). I love the Space Cadet colorway & legends, but sadly missed out on 7bit's Rd.6. :'( Although while I do love me some proper SA keys I definitely prefer GMK's Cherry profile to them. So missing out on Rd.6 may be a blessing in disguise for me as I very rarely will buy the same colorway in different profiles. I'm gonna go vote for the set on MD right now in fact, hopefully enough people vote to get this set fast tracked! :)

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 20:23:56 »

Any follow up on the greek front legends?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 09:04:55 »

(Attachment Link)

Pls keep the top legends as is.  My understanding is those were meant to enter APL characters and conceptually different from VIM navigation keys.
I do appreciate VIM modality and all the goodness there (emacs with evil user), but those VIM nav keys would be out of place and alien here.

I feel this may be worth my two cents. I completely agree that vim keys have no place in this set. The set is already taking the bold jump from a sculpted cap to GMK, so changing much more would be straying too far away from the original. I think people are just trying to throw their personal desire into the set, regardless of set consistency or relevance.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline hansichen

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 09:19:31 »

ISO-CH doubleshots exist, therefore GMK should own the molds.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 09:59:21 »

Unless GMK want to support some of the cost for such new molds the premium on this group buy would be unbearable.

Probably quite true.

Oblotzky, maybe worth asking GMK about? "The first GMK set with centered legends" would be quite tag line.  :D

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 11:12:42 »
The only change I'd really be interested in seeing for this set is the addition of front pad printed Greek characters. It'd just be the icing on the cake.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #193 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:12:18 »
Before shutting down the idea of centered legends, it was only fair to at least render it. I for one am not really excited, and do intend to keep it as it is.

Offline zslane

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:22:40 »
I think the centered legends would look great, but only if they were properly arranged. The alpha symbols would need to be swapped (i.e., Latin on the bottom, APL symbols on top). The fact that centered legends sort of obscure the fact that these are GMK cylindricals is simply more win, IMO. Oh, and the spacebar should be blue in your renders...  :thumb:

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:26:08 »
Before shutting down the idea of centered legends, it was only fair to at least render it. I for one am not really excited, and do intend to keep it as it is.

Show Image

Idk.... Centered legends don't look quite right on cylindrical caps imo. I much prefer the  left aligned top character and right aligned bottom character. If this was an SA set, which it isn't,  centered would be best.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:26:43 »

Show Image

I've just noticed the modifier legends :-\

I think icon would look so much nicer with complex legends, but I know that isn't where the set is going :)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:31:51 »
Doesn't look right with centred legends. Keep it as was, good on you for taking the time and effort to try it out and render it though.

Offline need

« Reply #198 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:37:40 »

Show Image

I've just noticed the modifier legends :-\

I think icon would look so much nicer with complex legends, but I know that isn't where the set is going :)

If you don't like the choice of modifier legends, well then this is not a set for you. The set is about paying homage to an old classic, and this is how they are supposed to be.

Offline WCO1

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:46:35 »
good looking set  :thumb: i think of centered legends and text modifiers look quite good on this set. but i would love to see a icon only render.