Author Topic: [GB] ELEMENTO X zFrontier. Fr87 GB ended.  (Read 106449 times)

Offline M4dn3ss

Re: [GB] ELEMENTO X zFrontier. Fr87 STARTING from Feb.18
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 06:48:53 »
Sorry if this has already been addressed but can this be used with Alps switches?

Even if it's not compatible with the included PCB/plate, can it be used with Filco PCB/plate? I have an Alps PCB/plate from a Filco Zero

Offline skaloola

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 23:38:31 »
Any chance assembly would be offered?

Offline Randalljai

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 00:29:30 »

I second this; but I don't think they're offering switches so not sure how that'll work

Offline skaloola

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 09:08:53 »

I second this; but I don't think they're offering switches so not sure how that'll work
Could reimburse/get em shipped to them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Skynet_0

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 05:13:33 »
It's getting pretty close to the end of the GB - still no word on the color samples, Bluetooth data, power consumption, open-source programming, etc. I love how this board looks, but I don't think I can justify going in unless we get some more information in the next few days.

Offline wowremy

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 18:39:52 »
It's getting pretty close to the end of the GB - still no word on the color samples, Bluetooth data, power consumption, open-source programming, etc. I love how this board looks, but I don't think I can justify going in unless we get some more information in the next few days.
Didnt they already confirm QMK? Is battery life really a deal breaker? Gosh this will be my first build and idgaf about battery life lol.

Offline Mag_Flux

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 21:27:29 »
I AM SUPER INTERESTED IN THIS. However, my main concern is the programmable option.

What firmware will the PCB support? Can we please have more details?

I think this was on the reddit post. But it will be programmable through a web app.

Many requested QMK, we will have QMK in our discussion with Elemento

Didnt they already confirm QMK? Is battery life really a deal breaker? Gosh this will be my first build and idgaf about battery life lol.

I'm pretty sure their most recent response regarding QMK support is the one I've quoted above. I'm with others in that as much as I want to jump in on this GB I'm not going join without some more info being released hashing out details. Considering the GB is almost over, it seems that is unlikely.

For me open source software is a must for a keyboard like this. That being said, I can understand the difficulty using something like QMK considering the features this board has (read: Bluetooth) and QMK's lack of extensive support for said features. I honestly wish it would have just been kept simple and eschewed Bluetooth support as it's something I personally have no interest in, especially on something TKL sized.

Side note, I can't find the info anywhere but was anything mentioned regarding the switch orientation (i.e. south facing, etc)?

Offline nug

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 22:25:09 »
Side note, I can't find the info anywhere but was anything mentioned regarding the switch orientation (i.e. south facing, etc)?

LEDs are south facing according to the IC thread.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93672.msg2551856#msg2551856

Offline gt1989

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 22:34:12 »

Yeah, same exact reason why I haven't joined this GB either.

Offline Mag_Flux

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 23:04:27 »

LEDs are south facing according to the IC thread.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93672.msg2551856#msg2551856

Thanks for sharing that, I appreciate it. That's good news at least, glad to hear that.

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 00:03:03 »
It's been two weeks since @zFrontier last replied in here - It would be great to see more interaction, even just hyping the board or checking in.

Offline adam.baranyai

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 00:14:12 »

Yeah, same exact reason why I haven't joined this GB either.

+1

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 05:34:17 »
+2

I love the design and I'm willing to overlook the unknowns around the Bluetooth since I'd be happy using this one wired anyway, but programmable only 'through out web site' = dealbreaker. It doesn't have to be QMK specifically but unless a genuinely open firmware I'm not willing to invest that much money. Sad to miss out on this but not as sad as I'd be to spend hundreds on a paperweight.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 10:10:45 »
Also sitting here waiting for details with wallet in hand.

Offline darthzero

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 14:34:15 »
As a person who got in on the first few days i'm concerned to see the lack of communication from OP. 
Aside from the questions posed here, there were also (important to me) questions on reddit he wanted to "come back at" which he never did. It was about if we will have the possibility to buy the case or at least the upper part of it as extras... wanted to put my money in there too, extra pcb and plate, but without seeing him caring i probably will not put more money into this :(
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 07:59:37 »
As a person who got in on the first few days i'm concerned to see the lack of communication from OP. 
Aside from the questions posed here, there were also (important to me) questions on reddit he wanted to "come back at" which he never did. It was about if we will have the possibility to buy the case or at least the upper part of it as extras... wanted to put my money in there too, extra pcb and plate, but without seeing him caring i probably will not put more money into this :(

I am slightly worried now at this point. The GB was supposed to close yesterday but the page still looks to be open right now. Also there has been no messages back to my email and it doesnt look like the reddit thread has been looked at.

There was a message on reddit about extending the GB period but nothing was confirmed. OP can we can some information please? He has been online as he has posted Starry night Visuals to his instagram etc.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 19:38:24 »
I really really really wanted to hop on this as well.

To reiterate the posts above, I concur with the previous comments. The lack of transparency, official updates regarding the QMK firmware change and so on prevented me from putting my money down. If the OP wants to speak up, I imagine there'd be a lot of happy customers would indulge.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline wowremy

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 19:42:31 »
Meh, we all knew color samples dont come till after the order is placed. OP is probably sitting in his room testing the prototype for us.

Offline os

• trash site, don't come here
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 19:43:42 »
Meh, we all knew color samples dont come till after the order is placed. OP is probably sitting in his room testing the prototype for us.

Wish OP was testing it by typing a reply here

Offline wowremy

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 02:44:10 »

Wish OP was testing it by typing a reply here
Lets say OP was abducted and no longer on this world... Would I still get my blue elemento Fr87?

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 04:40:12 »
Z Frontier is supposed to be a pretty legit vendor, right? I made sure to look around and read up on them prior to this buy starting. Maybe I'm just worried cause I had an indiegogo project go south on me recently, but I'm feeling uneasy here, too.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 09:35:18 »
Z Frontier is supposed to be a pretty legit vendor, right? I made sure to look around and read up on them prior to this buy starting. Maybe I'm just worried cause I had an indiegogo project go south on me recently, but I'm feeling uneasy here, too.

Yes, they are. However the lack of updates has been a concern. They have been active everyday I have checked their profile...

perhaps I will have a chat with Paypal and get them to extend my buyer protection period. The groupbuy is just longer than the 3 months.

EDIT: Just come off the phone with Paypal. On all the transactions, as long as you paid for it with buyer protection, you have got 6 months (180 days) of protection. You can start a case up until the last day of that buyer protection if nothing has been delivered or if insufficient updates have been given. The guy was also very suprised how much a keyboard could cost! :P
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 March 2018, 10:02:06 by the pokemon kid »

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 13:18:08 »

Yes, they are. However the lack of updates has been a concern. They have been active everyday I have checked their profile...

perhaps I will have a chat with Paypal and get them to extend my buyer protection period. The groupbuy is just longer than the 3 months.

EDIT: Just come off the phone with Paypal. On all the transactions, as long as you paid for it with buyer protection, you have got 6 months (180 days) of protection. You can start a case up until the last day of that buyer protection if nothing has been delivered or if insufficient updates have been given. The guy was also very suprised how much a keyboard could cost! :P

Thanks - I made mine on a credit card and recently found it's got 120 days on average as well. It really sucks that we've got to be thinking this so early on in a buy. This is my first GB, too. :/

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 14:48:37 »

Z-Frontier from what I have seen is very legit.. so lack of updates has been curious thought to be honest. I don't mean this in a bad way at all.. this Elemento group seemed shady from the start. The way they were talked about and lack of updates/specs left me feeling uneasy about the project. I got a feeling Z-Frontier might be facing the same issues the group buy is. There asking questions and Elemento is promising answers but then.. never coming thought... just hope this group buy doesn't ruin Z-Frontiers reputation.

Offline wowremy

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 19:07:13 »

Do I want that buyer protection thing? Whats the risk without it?

Offline wowremy

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 19:08:30 »
deleted*

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 19:44:18 »

Do I want that buyer protection thing? Whats the risk without it?

Yes, I would always try and have buyer protection when you can. It means that if anything is off, you are able to start a claim with either Paypal or your credit card company. This means you are protected if someone decides to take the money and run or the product isnt what you paid for.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 22:17:29 »
I was very excited that zFrontier was running this as I've had nothing but good experiences with them, but this silence is disheartening. I hope when more information comes eventually that the GB will be extended, as I can't in good faith put down money right now just to file for a PP refund if the answers aren't what I'd like.

Offline wowremy

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 23:42:22 »
Just curious, what are people worried about exactly? Battery life and QMK?

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 23:54:05 »

For me mostly Bluetooth quality and firmware availability which isn't through some obscure web page which isn't going to be supported forever.

Offline wowremy

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 00:00:11 »
deleted*
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 March 2018, 02:09:45 by wowremy »

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 01:51:51 »

For me, I honestly just hope that the keyboard will be completed and functional. I don't have many expectations as it's my first buy for something on this scale (I've been in cap and switch buys) and this board checks about every box I have.

I probably won't use the Bluetooth but it'll be a great feature to have built in if I need it, and I don't really care about programming my board so QMK support is no big deal. But I have/had the money at the time this buy started and I'd grown sick of seeking out TKL boards only to find I was just barely too late to jump in on it. I was so excited for this board, having caught it in time to be a part of it, that I was constantly refreshing the page while waiting for the buy to unlock so I could secure myself a spot on the off chance that it would run out of slots or something, so I'm pretty sure I have board #1 as well lol

Offline zFrontier

• * Vendor
Re: [GB] ELEMENTO X zFrontier. Fr87 GB ended.
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 03:03:11 »
Updates on reply 1#.

I sincerely apologize for not posting an update earlier. Rest assure that Elemento and we will make this board great.
Chinese Website: https://www.zFrontier.com/
English Website: https://en.zFrontier.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/zFrontier/
Email: support@zFrontier.com

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 07:23:56 »
Updates on reply 1#.

I sincerely apologize for not posting an update earlier. Rest assure that Elemento and we will make this board great.

Thanks for the response! Looking forward to further updates! Great prototype images by the way :D

Offline JDragon

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 00:21:58 »
Thank you for the update! Looking forward to pre-orders for the updated design. Any word on Bluetooth battery life, programmability, or color samples?

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 04:50:28 »
Updates on reply 1#.

(insert updates now the GB has already closed and still not addressing questions about bluetooth and firmware)

Glad I skipped this one.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 04:55:35 by nathanchere »

Offline nug

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 07:32:14 »
(insert updates now the GB has already closed and still not addressing questions about bluetooth and firmware)

It would have been nice if they had communicated while the GB was open. I'm sure the lack of updates stopped some people from joining.

Will the pre-order price be same as the original ($368) price?
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 07:39:39 by nug »

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 15:32:25 »
Updates on reply 1#.

Any more updates?

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 16:41:42 »
gb concluded without us ever seeing color samples or bt working :(

Offline laminam

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 16:59:20 »
But the board will be "great" ... Don't worry.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 00:07:53 »

I'd have jumped ship already if it weren't ZFrontier. Though I'm still very close to doing so. My first GB/custom board isn't going so well. Caveat Emptor for sure :l

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 02:35:19 »

I'd have jumped ship already if it weren't ZFrontier. Though I'm still very close to doing so. My first GB/custom board isn't going so well. Caveat Emptor for sure :l

i wouldn't jump to conclusions yet! I mean honestly this isn't that bad at all! Things happen and the design is radical. I have my own misgivings about this group buy for other reasons. Mainly the lack of details. Which if that was a issue people should have simply not bought in. Yea some delay's and things are to be expected. I mean its completely justifiable. Your a Manufacture what are you going to tool up for a order of 200-300 keyboard's... that are going to be 150 dollars profit each to manufacture.. are do you tool up for the keyboard order thats like 5000-6000 at 100 bucks a pop. I mean since you can only manufacture one at a time. Obviously the bigger order gets priority. Special when it would come to making a 1 off custom unit as a prototype.

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 23:35:17 »

i wouldn't jump to conclusions yet! I mean honestly this isn't that bad at all! Things happen and the design is radical. I have my own misgivings about this group buy for other reasons. Mainly the lack of details. Which if that was a issue people should have simply not bought in. Yea some delay's and things are to be expected. I mean its completely justifiable. Your a Manufacture what are you going to tool up for a order of 200-300 keyboard's... that are going to be 150 dollars profit each to manufacture.. are do you tool up for the keyboard order thats like 5000-6000 at 100 bucks a pop. I mean since you can only manufacture one at a time. Obviously the bigger order gets priority. Special when it would come to making a 1 off custom unit as a prototype.

My issue I'm having is communication. Even if it's little updates, or just really... any kind of interacting, honestly. But maybe that's just not how things are done in group buys - I'm new to this. So, I'll just keep my fingers crossed since this board is, theoretically, the perfect board for me.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 02:31:40 »

My issue I'm having is communication. Even if it's little updates, or just really... any kind of interacting, honestly. But maybe that's just not how things are done in group buys - I'm new to this. So, I'll just keep my fingers crossed since this board is, theoretically, the perfect board for me.

Truthfully it really really depends.. majority of group buys I have seen.. there not a terrible lot of updates. Thats not to say that some don't take it to the extreme with tons of updates, Majority don't. Two of the ones I am in right now.. The updates where at the very start "Paying Vendor and manufacturing has started... the other was Order Placed with Vendor." On both of those the next step I would expect to hear something back would be that its about to ship out. I mean some leaders will tell ya there going to be packaging are that manufacturing is 50% done but most don't. It can take a while for things to ship out. I think on average people end up waiting longer for a group buy to finish. Its uncommon for a group buy to be on time. I hope this helps cause they can be confusing group buys in general. Special if your new to the keyboard scene.

Offline thokir

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 02:49:25 »
I think on average people end up waiting longer for a group buy to finish. Its uncommon for a group buy to be on time. I hope this helps cause they can be confusing group buys in general. Special if your new to the keyboard scene.
Yeah, pretty much this.
For the first one, two or even three groupbuys one will be kinda disappointed with having to wait that long for the stuff to arrive... but with experience one will learn that estimated shipping dates aren't something trustworthy. Some might ship in time, but most will be late.

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 22:06:02 »
I think on average people end up waiting longer for a group buy to finish. Its uncommon for a group buy to be on time. I hope this helps cause they can be confusing group buys in general. Special if your new to the keyboard scene.
Yeah, pretty much this.
For the first one, two or even three groupbuys one will be kinda disappointed with having to wait that long for the stuff to arrive... but with experience one will learn that estimated shipping dates aren't something trustworthy. Some might ship in time, but most will be late.

Truthfully it really really depends.. majority of group buys I have seen.. there not a terrible lot of updates. Thats not to say that some don't take it to the extreme with tons of updates, Majority don't. Two of the ones I am in right now.. The updates where at the very start "Paying Vendor and manufacturing has started... the other was Order Placed with Vendor." On both of those the next step I would expect to hear something back would be that its about to ship out. I mean some leaders will tell ya there going to be packaging are that manufacturing is 50% done but most don't. It can take a while for things to ship out. I think on average people end up waiting longer for a group buy to finish. Its uncommon for a group buy to be on time. I hope this helps cause they can be confusing group buys in general. Special if your new to the keyboard scene.

Yeah, I get it. I just sort of feel like this was forgotten. The buy even went a few days over as if they forgot to end it. But as far as things being dragged out, I completely understand. I've done a few kickstarters/Indiegogo backings. But you've both definitely eased my feelings a little bit - plus I keep finding more good stuff about zFrontier, so that helps!

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 03:55:08 »
Is there any updates? It has been 14 days since the last message on here and 28 days since ZFrontier posted a message in here...

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 14:22:13 »
A word from zFrontier would be great, it's been six weeks since the last update.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 14:32:35 »
A word from zFrontier would be great, it's been six weeks since the last update.

I talked to Alex (ZFrontier) earlier, there an update coming. I will let him explain the situation, however I am expecting a delay...

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 22:41:07 »

I talked to Alex (ZFrontier) earlier, there an update coming. I will let him explain the situation, however I am expecting a delay...

Alright, thank you! And damn, you watch this post like a hawk haha.