Author Topic: Cheap Keysets  (Read 6169 times)

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
Cheap Keysets
« on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:35:06 »
Ive got a few boards in the works, but no caps for them! Since I spent all monies on boards, where can I find some cheap caps that i won't type a hole through cause they're .3mm thick?

~$30 USD range or lower

Only option that comes to mind is Tai Hao.

ideas?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Cheap Keysets
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:40:41 »
If your going through the trouble to build a nice board don't ruin it with junk caps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:44:37 »
If your going through the trouble to build a nice board don't ruin it with junk caps.

any caps that are

CHEAP     GOOD     FAST

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:48:57 »

any caps that are

CHEAP     GOOD     FAST

The cheapest (best caps imo) good caps are Leopolds but I don't know if they can be found anymore.

That's why I buy Leopold board then it's one and done.

I prefer the side print black caps.

But I don't know what board your working on they might not  take standard keysets anyway...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 21:43:51 »
Tai Hao are not bad for the money, and they make PBT sets too.

As long as you don't mind OEM profile.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 22:14:22 »
These:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773RLL6W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheap: 5/5
Good: 3/5
Fast: 5/5
Overall: way better than the $17.69 price would suggest, A+ recommend.

I'm rocking them on my box jade + gaffer tape Anne:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 10:00:07 »
If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, you can find some decent PBT sets on Aliexpress and TaoBao. Something like this for example.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline deacon

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 12:26:21 »
For a while I used the lasered Cherry POM Alphas and blank G20 mods from pimpmykeyboard.com.

It ends up being $34 before shipping for a 60% because you have to buy a space bar separately though.

Still not a bad set for $40 shipped from the US and in stock.

Offline tjaub95

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 15:17:33 »
Tai Hao is nice and cheap. As someone else has said using Pimpmykeyboard and getting G20 or DCS is relatively inexepensive

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 03:51:55 »
It depends what layout you need to cover.

I just harvest keycaps from old rubber domes (e.g., some siliteks shipped with thicker DCS caps) or Cherry G81s (great thick PBT/POM caps, albeit laser-etched).

The first rounds of Vortex PBT doubleshots were under $30 too; that was one of the greatest deals.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 11:18:50 »
It depends what layout you need to cover.

I just harvest keycaps from old rubber domes (e.g., some siliteks shipped with thicker DCS caps) or Cherry G81s (great thick PBT/POM caps, albeit laser-etched).

The first rounds of Vortex PBT doubleshots were under $30 too; that was one of the greatest deals.

i endorse this post
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jackcauliflower

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 12:58:49 »
Definitely check AliExpress, you might be able to find a decent set for cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:08:03 »
I'd check alli or a related site for a nice cheap pbt set. Kbdfans had some nice cheaper sets last time I looked.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:25:58 »
Take old caps from some **** boards you got and slap em on, then save some money so you wont regret your purchase later.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 01:14:03 »
Kbdfans has some Cherry profile enjoyPBT caps for around $30 last time I checked.