Author Topic: [RELISTED] Lexmark Model M p/n "59G" ??  (Read 3098 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
[RELISTED] Lexmark Model M p/n "59G" ??
« on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 03:47:06 »
This looks legit, but I've never seen anything like it:

Vintage IBM KEYBOARD MODEL M Clicky PS/2 , 29 JAN 93, LEXMARK

BIN $85.00 + shipping

Huh—part no. 59G ?? Every other Model M in the universe has a 7-character p/n. This has a 3-character one. What was up with this?

Several Lexmark p/n's start with 59G, so I'm guessing this is one of them. Was the label-machine operator feeling lazy that day?

It's a reasonable price for an M in such good condition—but if the odd p/n make it unusually collectable, I suppose it's a Great Find, too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 October 2018, 00:39:24 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

Re: Lexmark Model M p/n "59G" ??
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 08:16:00 »
Must be some sort of custom small production run with some sort of subtle variation. Reminds me of the factory customized M that Ellipse is selling which comes with the 5 pin din cable meant for a IBM 5170.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/new-in-box-factory-customized-ibm-model-m-keyboard-may-1993-production/

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 23:19:21 »
Must be some sort of custom small production run with some sort of subtle variation. Reminds me of the factory customized M that Ellipse is selling which comes with the 5 pin din cable meant for a IBM 5170.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/new-in-box-factory-customized-ibm-model-m-keyboard-may-1993-production/

Kind of frustrating that he doesn't show the actual keys, though—nor offer no description of of the legends. Are we to assume, then, that it's one of these go-figure Model M "variants" where a unique p/n is the only unusual thing about it?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 10:59:04 »

Kind of frustrating that he doesn't show the actual keys, though—nor offer no description of of the legends. Are we to assume, then, that it's one of these go-figure Model M "variants" where a unique p/n is the only unusual thing about it?

Well Ellipse's board is just a standard blue badge with standard legends. The only difference is that it came from the factory with the older din cable. I imagine back in the day you could order this instead of a standard M where you would be stuck having to also order the extra cable for an older PC.

The 59G board is definitely a "go figure" board. We do lose some context I think since it does not have the original packaging. Maybe it just came with an extra long cable so it got a special part number?
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2018, 11:01:00 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 03:06:19 »
I might at this point also mention that my wife, whose maturity kicks in (and I mean that literally) when mine fails, has nixed my buying keebs solely because they have odd part numbers.

She has a point, I suppose. To show anyone how distinctive something like this is, you'd need to turn it over, at which point it couldn't be used as a keeb anymore, could it? I.e. this feature would be, during normal operation, invisible.

Of course one could add it to one's GH sig, put up a special website and offer custom-printed Lexmark 59G swag (T-shirts, cocktail napkins, tractor caps, etc.). But still, right? That's what I'm thinking here, anyway.