Author Topic: My day so far (bricked CA66 PCB) looking for help  (Read 3101 times)

Offline sgtpopwell

• "A great big bushy beard!"
My day so far (bricked CA66 PCB) looking for help
« on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 08:57:52 »
CA66 just died. As I woke my Windows 7 machine, I noticed the LED's on my CA66 lock up. It is totally unresponsive. When I plug it in to another machine, Windows reads "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it". Holding down ESC when plugging it in does not work (in order to attempt a re-flash) when I do that the re-flash tool does not recognize it at all.

There is no reset button on the PCB. Does anyone know of a way to reset it? Do any of you have any suggestions for a possible fix? Obviously I'm fairly distressed over this situation and looking for any suggestions.

I have been researching this a bit this morning so far but to no avail, I have seen a couple of reports of folks having similar issues however I have not seen any solutions. At the moment I am suspecting a bug involving Windows' USB selective suspend settings not playing nicely with the CA66.

Thanks in advance.

F77, Filco TKL, IBM Industrial, TKC1800, CST Laser-trac

Patiently waiting for the Model F77

Offline Tactile

Re: My day so far (bricked CA66 PCB) looking for help
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 11:36:27 »
Have you tried:

Unplug
Hold down ESC while you plug in
Wait 10 sec
Unplug
Wait 10 sec
Plug in

This is just the procedure to get to the bootloader for flashing but skipping the flash process in the hope of resetting.
REΛLFORCE

Offline sgtpopwell

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 15:21:14 »
Yes I have done this, to no avail. Still unresponsive.

Do you know if there is any other way to possibly reset?

Offline fer.real

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 17:57:44 »
There is no reset button on the PCB. Does anyone know of a way to reset it?
Thanks in advance.

Even though there isn't a reset button, there is a reset pin on the atmega32u4.  Hypothetically, you can connect pin 13 to ground and that will reset the chip.

Please note:  I have never tried this myself and am not an electronics expert, this is just a suggestion for where you can start looking.

Offline sgtpopwell

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 23:50:34 »

Even though there isn't a reset button, there is a reset pin on the atmega32u4.  Hypothetically, you can connect pin 13 to ground and that will reset the chip.

Please note:  I have never tried this myself and am not an electronics expert, this is just a suggestion for where you can start looking.

Hey thanks! That's a good idea... I found a good diagram of the ATmega online here: https://www.14core.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ATMEL-MEGA32U4-AU-Pinout-Diagram.png

I'm pretty tempted to try this myself. If I do I will report back with my findings. I too am not en expert on these and am going to see about consulting someone more knowledgeable before trying it out.

Offline fer.real

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 04:59:08 »
Good luck!  If you manage to fix this issue, you're going to make a lot of CA66 users happy.

Offline nill

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 11:45:54 »
Any updates on whether this worked? I've encountered the same issue.
CA66 // HHKB // TINA-C // FC980M

<< LINEARS OR BUST >>

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 21:13:16 »
Not sure if this would work since i don't know what chip they use. But try a magnet over the chip while it's connected to the pc it could get forced into bootloader. Fingers crossed

Edit:

It seems they use atmega32u4. I could reset a ATMEGA32u2 with a magnet and force it into boot loader without a problem so i wouldn't see why it wouldn't work with a newer variant.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 January 2019, 21:21:37 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline fer.real

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 05:04:25 »
There is no reset button on the PCB. Does anyone know of a way to reset it?
Thanks in advance.

Any updates on whether this worked? I've encountered the same issue.

Shorting the reset pin does work, but it was only a temporary fix for me.  The bad news is that there seem to be defective boards in circulation.

The good news is that PlayKeyboardTW is offering free or discounted replacement boards for people who were in the previous GB.  Yay PlayKeyboardTW!

Hi guys,

Sorry to hear those bricked situations happened to some PCBs. :(

Since it's been a while after the first round CA66s have been shipped we will have after-sale service for those PCBs (before 2019.1.1):
1. If you bought 2 pieces of PCBs, we will offer one for free for replacement
2. If you got 1, then it will be half price.

Thanks! :thumb: