Author Topic: IBM Model M right shift key sticks  (Read 5115 times)

Offline systemparadox

IBM Model M right shift key sticks
« on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 06:31:21 »
Hi. I've been using my trusty Model M for many years now.

Recently the right shift key has started sticking - as in, it physically stays stuck down, or is just sluggish to spring back up.

I have fairly small hands so I'm usually pressing on the left 1/4 of the key, and I tend to slide my finger to the left as I press it, which causes the key to tilt slightly.

My suspicion is that it's an issue with the circular support post, but cleaning it hasn't helped at all. I've even tried lubricating it, which has helped a bit, but it's still sticking.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue? Any tips what the problem actually is, and how I might solve it?

Thanks.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: IBM Model M right shift key sticks
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 07:28:57 »
Did you try blowing air down into the barrel? Or fiddling with the spring?  Maybe the flapper isn’t set correctly.  I haven’t done a lot of model m repair but when my switches have issues those two things often help.

Offline systemparadox

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 03:39:11 »
I already tried blowing air in but that didn't help at all. I'm not sure what you mean by "flapper"?

The oil I added was a bit thin so I decided to try some vaseline. I also added some to the normal clip post. It's much better now, although still not perfect. I guess I will have to open it up and have a look at the spring.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 07:43:43 »
Vaseline is a petroleum product and will degrade the plastic over time.  You should clean it out and use dielectric grease instead.   Superlube is a good solution for Vaseline like texture that is safe for plastic. 

Someone had a similar issue in another post recently and another member suggested that it could be broken rivets.

As you may know, the model M has the plate and pcb riveted together with plastic pieces.  If enough of them have broken (which happens with age), it could be causing the problem.  You should be able to tell by taking the cover of the case apart and looking at the plastic rivets on the back.  It’s faitly easy to fix if that is the issue

Look for model M rivet repair.  You’ll have to drill through the remains of the original plastic rivet and insert a screw.

Just something to check for. 

Offline daskeybo

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 11:22:40 »
Hi. I've been using my trusty Model M for many years now.

Recently the right shift key has started sticking - as in, it physically stays stuck down, or is just sluggish to spring back up.

I have fairly small hands so I'm usually pressing on the left 1/4 of the key, and I tend to slide my finger to the left as I press it, which causes the key to tilt slightly.

My suspicion is that it's an issue with the circular support post, but cleaning it hasn't helped at all. I've even tried lubricating it, which has helped a bit, but it's still sticking.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue? Any tips what the problem actually is, and how I might solve it?

Thanks.

Some support posts are off Center.  Try filing the hole.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 05:10:38 »
The oil I added was a bit thin so I decided to try some vaseline. I also added some to the normal clip post...

Yikes, dude! That stuff reacts with plastic. Wipe it off immediately.

I use this Inox MX3 lubricant. It's non-reactive, non-corrosive, works great. I just spray a bit in the cap, then use a Q-Tip to wipe some around the key stem and the inside of the spring barrel. And because it's so pure (it can even be used around food production), it's good for all kinds of other things around the house, too.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 07:48:22 »
Also, you said right shift? That key is stabilized right? Does it have the barrel inserts? You may want to fiddle with it a bit. Here is another thread on this: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68042.0
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 01:57:49 »
For reference: barrel inserts

I had one that was sticking like this, and I remove the key, inserted a screwdriver and wiggled the insert around a bit.  After replacing the key it was no longer sticking.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ