Author Topic: [HELP] Pok3r or KB v60 mini  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Quack

• Clack, Quack, Clack
[HELP] Pok3r or KB v60 mini
« on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 07:23:31 »
Salutations,

I've been browsing your forums for a few weeks now whilst looking for a new keyboard I decided to take the plunge and create an account as I need help with this decision. I would really like a 60% clacker and I cant decide between a Pok3r with clears or the v60 mini with greens. I hail from the united teadom but I think I'll have to settle for a ANSI layout, I know the pok3r offers ISO but It's tough to come by. I do have a concern with the lack of arrow keys but I believe I could write a few scripts with auto hotkey which should fix any of my issues. I guess for myself the pros of the V60 would be the backlight the pros of the pok3r is the design I do like back-lighting but the pok3r just seems like such a serious bit of kit.

Anyway you probably get a million of these threads on a daily basis, I really appreciate the time taken to read this thread, looking forward to your replies.

-Quack
-SHINE 3-

Offline jotillo

Re: [HELP] Pok3r or KB v60 mini
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 08:57:00 »
I wondered the same thing and finally buy the poker 3, overall quality and especially the aluminum housing and PBT keys make the difference for me.

The pok3r with green switches is on the way, and can be pre-ordered from Corus-kb site.

regards

Offline micr0n

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 13:13:35 »
Salutations,

I've been browsing your forums for a few weeks now whilst looking for a new keyboard I decided to take the plunge and create an account as I need help with this decision. I would really like a 60% clacker and I cant decide between a Pok3r with clears or the v60 mini with greens. I hail from the united teadom but I think I'll have to settle for a ANSI layout, I know the pok3r offers ISO but It's tough to come by. I do have a concern with the lack of arrow keys but I believe I could write a few scripts with auto hotkey which should fix any of my issues. I guess for myself the pros of the V60 would be the backlight the pros of the pok3r is the design I do like back-lighting but the pok3r just seems like such a serious bit of kit.

Anyway you probably get a million of these threads on a daily basis, I really appreciate the time taken to read this thread, looking forward to your replies.

-Quack

It really depends on what your needs are.  The Poker 3 definitely has been improved over it's predecessors.  The move of the fn arrow keys and a third layer in which you can create custom macros.  The v60 has a pretty decent fn layer and you can swap a few keys, but that is the extent of anything programmable.  I currently use the v60 and it's a decent board, but the stock caps are just horrid since they are abs.  Although the backlight does offer some usefulness for their custom keycaps.  If the backlight isn't that important to you, definitely go the with Poker 3 as a starter board.

Offline Quack

• Clack, Quack, Clack
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 15:45:04 »

It really depends on what your needs are.  The Poker 3 definitely has been improved over it's predecessors.  The move of the fn arrow keys and a third layer in which you can create custom macros.  The v60 has a pretty decent fn layer and you can swap a few keys, but that is the extent of anything programmable.  I currently use the v60 and it's a decent board, but the stock caps are just horrid since they are abs.  Although the backlight does offer some usefulness for their custom keycaps.  If the backlight isn't that important to you, definitely go the with Poker 3 as a starter board.

I've been thinking a lot about the backlight I'd like to try a board without one for a change, I heard the aluminum case along with the steel switch mounted plate make it feel great to type on, I'm probably going to go with the Pok3r I've just heard a few horror stories of them coming with defect keys/caps.
-SHINE 3-

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 01:16:22 »
The pok3r case is garbage. Powder coated and scratches so easily. Was not impressed. I'd get the poker II if I was buying new now.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 02:36:51 »
The pok3r case is garbage. Powder coated and scratches so easily. Was not impressed. I'd get the poker II if I was buying new now.

Powder coated? You mean painted? Ainīt it anodized? How can you say aluminium is crap when most of the others are plastic. Try to sell your plastic case vs an aluminium one, see how much you get from either one...

Offline hitaki

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 07:58:55 »
If it's form-factor that you're after, consider the infinity kit keyboard on massdrop (1 day remaining).
RF 87ub, RF 10th Anniversary Edition, Leopold FC660C, KUL ES-87, KBP v60

Offline Quack

• Clack, Quack, Clack
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 07:49:45 »
Thanks for all your replies I ended up going with the Pok3r, it wont arrive until Thursday, what sold me in the end was the aluminum case and the whole not owning a back-lit keyboard for once in 8 years.
-SHINE 3-