Author Topic: Polycarbonate, how easy is it to obtain and use?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline TINYisTOXIC

Polycarbonate, how easy is it to obtain and use?
« on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 11:28:35 »
Polycarbonate, a strong plastic, much better than acrylic or generic abs cases seems to be nonexistent when it comes to 60% cases. I was wondering if it was possible to have it cut, or made for a 60% keyboard. Is it strong enough to be used as a plate? How pricey would it even be?

Offline Findecanor

Re: Polycarbonate, how easy is it to obtain and use?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 12:25:34 »
My makerspace does not allow PC to be cut in the laser-cutter. The plastic smokes and catches fire easily. Smoke is very bad for a laser-cutter because it settles on the mirrors making them absorb the laser instead of reflecting it.
PC is sometimes laser-cut industrially though, but I think most firms do only sheets that are much thinner than what you would need for a plate.

So, likely, you would have to CNC-route it, which is more expensive, and you wouldn't get those clear, crisp edges that you would get with acrylic.

The plastic is also more expensive to begin with.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 February 2019, 12:27:14 by Findecanor »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 12:53:21 »
Because of the reasons stated above, producing polycarbonate plates and parts is as expensive as aluminum parts.

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 16:22:58 »
in general, polycarbonate is stronger yes, but more flexible without breaking. most thin sheets you can fold in half without them snapping/breaking. it's not as stiff/rigid as acrylic. Easily vacuum formable as well.

... also used in bullet proof glass, as well as MANY other applications.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline DGX_Shin

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 21:11:38 »
I have already make a Numpad case with polycarbonate ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk