Author Topic: ErgoDox and Trackball Tray  (Read 45912 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: ErgoDox and Trackball Tray
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 10:40:32 »
Ah ok. I was going to say, if you were doing 3D modeling as well as CAD, I was going to really pick your brain. I can't grasp the concept of using the trackball for 3D modeling. Just seems too hard.

I was referring to the keyboard you posted in your OP because I can't really browse your flickr at work. I like the setup though, it's very clever. I will probably bug you again later of course; once I look through everything.

Where did you get those Sanwa switches by the way? Is Sanwa just what the switches are called or is that the site you get them from?

As for the compartment underneath your tent, maybe like a USB hub or something functional like that? I know you proposed a RPi compartment which I think would be really awesome. Or maybe just a compartment for like a keycap puller and USB cable?

Offline Larken

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 12:08:53 »
I'd love to be able to help, but my main concern is that it'll be adding extra, unneeded functions to an already perfect design, especially if those functions aren't anything you need in your normal usage.

Plus, I realised I haven't thought things out very well yet. While it might be possible to add a mini-itx pc under the tray - there isn't anything one can do without a power source, or for that matter, a screen. Not exactly something that you can use on the go, which eliminates a lot of the functionality, unless you do indeed intend to plug into a power socket and have a random monitor you can plug into at the places where you use your ergo-to-go. This applies for the raspberry pi idea, which also requires a power source - something that detracts from having a mobile solution. Upon reflection, this makes me feel rather silly for suggesting it for the ergo-to-go.

It reminded me of how an old Chinese saying goes - "adding legs to a drawing of a snake" - do that, and it's no longer a snake anymore, but a lizard instead. As it is, I think you're already on the right path, and my suggestions are distractions you should ignore.

I guess the only thing that I would actually want to do with a something like this, would mostly reside in the case design - in particular, a way to mount and hold a tablet. Like CPTBadass suggested, a usb hub is a good idea, especially for connecting the trackball and keyboard, so that you only need to plug in one cable from the hub to your pc and be good to go.

It's a little very embarrassing to show my doodling, but I couldn't resist making a rough drawing of what I thought it should look like, internals, and perhaps a groove to seat the screen in (the one I have in mind is actually a surface pro, but I realise that you're a mac user, so options would be more limited). Its always been something I wanted to do in the past when the surface pro was first announced, even with a normal TKL board - to use a tablet in conjunction with a normal mechanical keyboard (but of course, I never really considered the mouse aspect then; I thought the touch screen capability would suffice.) With the ergo-to-go, it seems like a more complete solution - although the surface pro's battery life have been rather disappointing, a large enough deterrent for me not to get it.

Excuse the rough drawing, I haven't drawn technical stuff for years.  :-[

Basically, a laptop replacement using a tablet. A usb hub hidden inside the tray to connect to the tablet, serving as a intermediate connection to the trackball and the keyboard. There would probably be weight balancing issues with the tablet, and I'm sure you have much better ways to do it if you did intend to go this way.

edit: I like that lunchbox idea! :))
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2013, 12:45:57 by Larken »
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 21:15:53 »
CPTBadAss-  Sanwa is the brand name. I got mine from Focus Attack,   http://www.focusattack.com/  they are an online arcade parts supplier. By the way, I got the 24mm buttons as opposed to Input Nirvana's and Sordna's 30mm palm buttons.

Larken-   I think some kind of provisions for securing a tablet is great. Some kind of outrigger that folds/extends from underneath could provide stability. I agree about hubbing the usb's within as well. There may even be room for a supplemental battery under there to extend the tablets run time. The important thing is to not defeat its main purpose; a lightweight, compact travel  ergonomic keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2013, 21:18:12 by kurplop »

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 00:28:18 »
Great sculpture IN, your very flexible but how did you stay still long enough for someone to make that?....

SO RUDE!
Good thing I know about your benching capabilities or I'd come over there and tear up your other, non-stitched hand (with my other, non-stiched hand, of course). What a pair we are, Stitch and Stitchy-er.

I sure like where this thread and associated links to Flickr are going/developing.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline kurplop

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 05:50:32 »
Former feats of strength.
I'm feeling pretty wimpy these days. Besides, bench pressing only makes you good at pushing things and 40 years later you end up with man-boobs. :-[

Thanks, I've always appreciated your sense of humor.

On a more serious topic. The only compromise I anticipate with the Marble Mouse is the loss of the Kensington scrolling feature, something I really like. MM has scrolling but at the cost of 2 buttons. Anybody have experience with the Marble Mouse?

Offline Larken

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 06:19:11 »
have you considered the kensington orbit instead? it uses a 1.5" ball like the marble mouse, and retains the scrolling wheel feature. The downside is that there's only 2 mouse buttons as opposed to 4, but you do get to keep the scrolling ring (which I'm a big fan of too). I'm not a huge fan of scrolling with buttons - as I could already do that with keyboard pgup or pgdn buttons.

there's also this thread in geekhack that compared the two briefly http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=30131.0

The important thing is to not defeat its main purpose; a lightweight, compact travel  ergonomic keyboard.

I agree very much with this sentiment - which is why I'm reluctant to detrack you too much from your original design (although I think I still ended up doing that a little). in my opinion, the core design you already have is already perfect for your needs. A usb hub/battery pack would be pretty cool, although it'll end up adding to the total weight a little (those benchpresses would probably make this negligible though, eh :D). 

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 06:57:05 »

Offline kurplop

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 07:12:44 »
Great review in that link. Your input is always helpful.  You got me curious now. My only concern is the size the Orbit would add to the keyboard. The scroll rings I've used do require additional space to fit them in and the beauty of the Marble is everything besides the ball socket can be tilted down out of the way. With the Marble I can fit buttons very close to the ball.

Overall, I think the Marble will adapt great. In its unaltered form, the monocular sea slug's greatest weakness seems to be the premature miscarriages they call switches that control scrolling. They will be replaced with easy to reach arcade switches.

As far as weight is concerned, I'm not. A battery would add weight but would likely be removable.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 August 2013, 11:50:19 by kurplop »

Offline kurplop

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 07:28:40 »
davkol-   That's another great option. Talk about compact. The problem I have is the damaged sensory nerves in my hands keep me from feeling something that small. The size would allow it to be placed anywhere however, even replacing a thumb key or shifting the 6,7,8 keys to the left and fitting it in the 8 position. It would be a good supplemental mouse for less precise moves.

You guys are a great resource. Thanks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:03:08 »
Finally got the chance to look through the photos. I LOVE that there's a proper aluminum case and that amazing wood case with the fighting stick switches. Incredible work! Take more pictures now :D

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 18:28:54 »
Nicest kehberb I've ever seen.  I want.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 05:38:43 »
I just found the Flickr link and... OMAHGERD!

Beautiful work, kerplop! I love that there's a bit of everything put into this, wiring skills, woodwork, metalwork, layout design, etc.. looking forward to the new one ;)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 07:07:23 »
Thanks for your comments.

It has been a rewarding experience having the opportunity to glean ideas from many of you as we work toward a very similar goal; that of trying to develop keyboards that really address our ergonomic challenges. Of course it helps if they look nice too.

Possibility the greatest challenge we face is convincing the general public of the importance of ergonomically designed equipment. Until young people are initially taught typing skills on ergonomically enhanced keyboards, I think the effort of adapting to something new will be an obstacle keeping most from converting.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 07:05:09 »
Just saw that beauty in another thread, awesome work dude! :)

Offline gcb

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 22:07:26 »
That keyboard is awesome (though i hate that particular kinesis red trackball... love the black one tho)

I miss access to my uni workshop since i moved to socal :( ...i miss it too much. specially now that i see this!

You should do another one for a museum. congrats!

Offline kurplop

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 22:47:34 »
Just saw that beauty in another thread, awesome work dude! :)

Thanks. I was impressed with your computer center as well. Very clean and tasteful.

That keyboard is awesome (though i hate that particular kinesis red trackball... love the black one tho)

I miss access to my uni workshop since i moved to socal :( ...i miss it too much. specially now that i see this!

You should do another one for a museum. congrats!

The red ball looks a lot better in person but I agree that the black one is better looking. In fact, in the year I've been using it, the red ball was only on for those pictures then I replaced it with an Expert Mouse ball.

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 June 2014, 06:41:49 by kurplop »