Author Topic: XMIT Hall Board - strong negative feedback  (Read 14620 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: XMIT Hall Board - strong negative feedback
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 10:35:34 »
One note; vintage MX blacks are heavier than modern ones.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 10:48:24 »

Yeah, but HaaTa doesn't have force curves for modern blacks yet and I wanted an apples for apples comparison on the same test fixture.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 10:51:12 »

Yeah, but HaaTa doesn't have force curves for modern blacks yet and I wanted an apples for apples comparison on the same test fixture.
He does, doesn't he? Oo They're just called MX blacks if memory serves.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 10:53:15 »

He does, doesn't he? Oo They're just called MX blacks if memory serves.

Oh I see what's going on. The data is there at https://plot.ly/~haata/73 but there is no plot.

Feel free to make one if you want. :thumb:

Offline Parak

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 10:54:08 »
https://plot.ly/~haata/72 is for the modern mx black as far as I know.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 10:55:54 »

Don't know why I couldn't find that earlier. I'll go update my earlier post now... updated.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 March 2017, 10:59:34 by XMIT »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:09:30 »

Don't know why I couldn't find that earlier. I'll go update my earlier post now... updated.
I was just about to post this; it's the only plot that's under "load more files" xD . That's probably why it didn't show up for you.

Offline dante

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:55:48 »
I haven't been able to score a clean 3rd gen Fujitsu leaf spring.  How does it compare to either the 50g or 70g HE?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:43:52 »
I haven't been able to score a clean 3rd gen Fujitsu leaf spring.  How does it compare to either the 50g or 70g HE?
FLS is smoother.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 23:29:45 »
I love hanging out in the MK world. But let's face it, it's also full of eccentrically, sometimes epically, picky people.

I'm not saying you have to be on the autism scale to enjoy MKs. However, it's a well-known fact that people with obsessive personalities are often drawn to small, precise things—and what's an MK a collection of? Yep. The colors and textures of of key caps, the loudness and tone of clicks, the exact heights at which switches actuate... For sure, it's fun stuff—but for some people, it can involve pathological levels of preoccupation. That's just a fact.

Social media notwithstanding, typing is also an intrinsically solitary activity. So it's not unusual for people who arrange their lives around something like MKs to be essentially solitary, people who've arranged everything in their lives just so. If something upsets that balance—even if they just perceive it that way—they can lash out unpredictably and irrationally. If something they've hyper-focused on isn't how they expected it to be, they may feel like their world's careening out of control.

So you have to take this kind of thing with a grain of salt. When you get involved in a community like this, you'll almost certainly come in contact with people to whom MKs mean more than virtually anything else, including other people.

And if you take the extraordinary step of designing and producing your own MK-related products, and offering them to this community, you're opening yourself up to everyone's expectations, no matter how unrealistic or potentially volatile they may be.

You can just imagine the rants  customer service people at keyboard companies regularly receive. But those people aren't functioning as members of a KB community. They're hired to handle problems and complaints all day, every day. When a customer's irate, they can isolate themselves from the emotion, open the protocol policies their company has issued to them, follow the numbers, then forget about it and take the next call. XMIT doesn't have that luxury; he's one of us.

So I think it's important to keep in mind that nothing really unusual is going on here. It's just the context in which it's happening.

With any new product—not to mention, one that's this kind of new—there will always be people who like it and people who don't. The people who don't may have legitimate complaints (e.g. obvious defects, shipping damage), or they may have created an inaccurate or unrealistic image of the product in their minds. Or it may just work or look different from what they'd prefer. And as it's pointed out here every day: Typing feel and visual aesthetics are highly subjective.

XMIT's a very smart guy. I'm sure he realized what he might be wading into when he decided to take this project on. He did it anyway, and he's being as open and accommodating as he can.

Since I plugged in my XMIT board, I've gotten nothing but pleasure from it. (I'm typing on it now.) To me, it looks, feels, and operates just great, and knowing it has HE switches is a true geeky thrill. The facts that it's also my only RGB board, and my only board with a natural wood case, are just bonuses.

No, I didn't expect it to be perfect. The case is a bit rough here and there (it is, after all, natural wood), and the spacebar's noisier than I expected. But remember, these are virtual prototypes of a kind of board few of us have ever seen, much less gotten to use. Despite the quirks, IMHO we're lucky to get in on the first wave of them. And XMIT clearly values our feedback, as long as we're able to communicate it constructively. To me, that's a thrill too, to be involved such an interesting board's evolution.

So I'm willing to support XMIT however I can, so he can keep moving forward. I'm sorry not everyone feels that way—but unfortunately, some people will always be so wrapped up in their own precise little worlds, you can't make them step back and see a bigger picture. There isn't a single entrepreneur in the world who doesn't have to deal with that. It's the reason most of us spend our lives working for other people and letting them take up the slack.

I echo the sentiment that the switches are light. I have the 70g, and it fells like a step lighter than any MX black I've ever typed on (aka distinctly NOT 70g). I assume this is because the nature of the switches are different. It would make logical sense that the weight of a spring would lead to a universal resistance across any medium, but this Hall Effect board is definitely proof that that is not true...

That's a great, objective viewpoint. As far as I know, after reliability, HE switches are all about smoothness. How much smoother can you get than simply having to move a magnet a few millimeters perpendicular to an electrical current?

To me, these switches's pressure falls between that of MX Reds and Blacks. They're light enough not to be fatiguing, but have enough resistance that you can type without slamming them down. If you find yourself bottoming out anyway, I suggest it's just a matter of practice, allowing yourself to type with less effort, just skimming across the keys.

Yes, you'll miss some characters in the process of learning to do it. But resist the temptation to whine. Like many things in life that take some effort, the benefits are worth the trouble.

I play five musical instruments, BTW—and I can tell you that learning to type lightly, without wasted effort or strain, was a lot easier to learn than any of them.  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 09:22:10 »
I love hanging out in the MK world. But let's face it, it's also full of eccentrically, sometimes epically, picky people.

I'm not saying you have to be on the autism scale to enjoy MKs. However, it's a well-known fact that people with obsessive personalities are often drawn to small, precise things—and what's an MK a collection of? Yep. The colors and textures of of key caps, the loudness and tone of clicks, the exact heights at which switches actuate... For sure, it's fun stuff—but for some people, it can involve pathological levels of preoccupation. That's just a fact.

Social media notwithstanding, typing is also an intrinsically solitary activity. So it's not unusual for people who arrange their lives around something like MKs to be essentially solitary, people who've arranged everything in their lives just so. If something upsets that balance—even if they just perceive it that way—they can lash out unpredictably and irrationally. If something they've hyper-focused on isn't how they expected it to be, they may feel like their world's careening out of control.

So you have to take this kind of thing with a grain of salt. When you get involved in a community like this, you'll almost certainly come in contact with people to whom MKs mean more than virtually anything else, including other people.

And if you take the extraordinary step of designing and producing your own MK-related products, and offering them to this community, you're opening yourself up to everyone's expectations, no matter how unrealistic or potentially volatile they may be.

You can just imagine the rants  customer service people at keyboard companies regularly receive. But those people aren't functioning as members of a KB community. They're hired to handle problems and complaints all day, every day. When a customer's irate, they can isolate themselves from the emotion, open the protocol policies their company has issued to them, follow the numbers, then forget about it and take the next call. XMIT doesn't have that luxury; he's one of us.

So I think it's important to keep in mind that nothing really unusual is going on here. It's just the context in which it's happening.

With any new product—not to mention, one that's this kind of new—there will always be people who like it and people who don't. The people who don't may have legitimate complaints (e.g. obvious defects, shipping damage), or they may have created an inaccurate or unrealistic image of the product in their minds. Or it may just work or look different from what they'd prefer. And as it's pointed out here every day: Typing feel and visual aesthetics are highly subjective.

XMIT's a very smart guy. I'm sure he realized what he might be wading into when he decided to take this project on. He did it anyway, and he's being as open and accommodating as he can.

Since I plugged in my XMIT board, I've gotten nothing but pleasure from it. (I'm typing on it now.) To me, it looks, feels, and operates just great, and knowing it has HE switches is a true geeky thrill. The facts that it's also my only RGB board, and my only board with a natural wood case, are just bonuses.

No, I didn't expect it to be perfect. The case is a bit rough here and there (it is, after all, natural wood), and the spacebar's noisier than I expected. But remember, these are virtual prototypes of a kind of board few of us have ever seen, much less gotten to use. Despite the quirks, IMHO we're lucky to get in on the first wave of them. And XMIT clearly values our feedback, as long as we're able to communicate it constructively. To me, that's a thrill too, to be involved such an interesting board's evolution.

So I'm willing to support XMIT however I can, so he can keep moving forward. I'm sorry not everyone feels that way—but unfortunately, some people will always be so wrapped up in their own precise little worlds, you can't make them step back and see a bigger picture. There isn't a single entrepreneur in the world who doesn't have to deal with that. It's the reason most of us spend our lives working for other people and letting them take up the slack.

Great post, and great sentiments!

Offline Data

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:00:59 »
The saga continues, now with a direct threat against me. The user in question is HighPlainsDrafter. I had hoped to keep them anonymous but this threat forces my hand. If anyone here has another means of contacting this user, please direct them to take up their issue with the Massdrop support team.

The latest correspondence:

If your negligence includes failing to issue a full refund to everyone who complained on the MassDrop discussion thread, I'm going to contact each of them to pursue our rightful options against you. So you might finally wake up and behave in a professional, responsible manner towards your brethren. You have 48 hours to do the right thing -- though I somehow doubt your questionable conscience will guide you to that without stern measures. So be it. You have forfeited your right to ever offer another product. If you remain stubbornly defiant, I will track you down and deal with you directly. Believe it.

Drar HighPlainsDrafter:

Please contact Massdrop support with your concern. You purchased your board from Massdrop, not from me, as did everyone else on the "drop". I personally am in no position to offer anyone a refund.

I have already contacted my internal Massdrop contact, as well as the geekhack moderator team, with regards to your messages. There is nothing more I can do for you.

Cheers,
XMIT

Yeah, it's time for this ******* to go.

I can't echo any of the ragetastic sentiments posted here.  My board, like many, has relative quality issues (mainly in the key caps and switch stem tolerance) but it's otherwise a great board with a few "wow" features and I've been enjoying it.  I happen to like the spring weights and switch feel a lot -- so smooth and very different from anything else I've used.  I already swapped out the key caps so that's 80% of my issue resolved.  There's no excuse for anyone to behave like this HighPlainsDrafter clown.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:48:16 »
So you might finally wake up and behave in a professional, responsible manner towards your brethren.

LOLLL - "brethren".....too funny. This is starting to look more like a troll rather than a legit rage-fueled 13 year old mouth-breather on his mom's Amazon Fire Tablet.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 13:23:23 »
I hope this clarifies any remaining confusion on the spring weights.

Interesting. Those are distinctly low preloads.

I do have some ITW magnetic valve dummy switches (for 2u key stabilisation) that feel like they have low preload, and they're also very light and very smooth, possibly the smoothest "switch" I own (I assume the actual switches feel just as smooth, but not as light). I imagine that XMIT 50 g feels basically like an ITW dummy switch.

My only concern is that a low preload may make keys easy to press by mistake, as the key isn't doing as much as it could to resist being pressed.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline dante

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 14:15:58 »
If MassDrop takes the returns and refurbishes them to XMIT's intended specification, and tosses in a 6 month warranty I'd have to consider that...

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 12:07:15 »
Give him a replacement keyboard with the hardest springs you can find , one that will cause his fingers to hurt badly or get carpal tunnel or something( I am not sure if you can even get carpal tunnel from that but we can find out with him).

Just because he is very passionate about his hard springs.

Offline dante

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 12:14:13 »
Give him a replacement keyboard with the hardest springs you can find , one that will cause his fingers to hurt badly or get carpal tunnel or something( I am not sure if you can even get carpal tunnel from that but we can find out with him).

I got his springs right here: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2310

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 12:27:56 »

I got his springs right here: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2310

Let's be clear that Cherry MX style springs will NOT work on the Hall boards. These replacement springs need a length of 12.5 mm and an inner diameter of 5.0 mm.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 12:28:50 »

LMAOOO. This is awesome.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 12:30:14 »

Let's be clear that Cherry MX style springs will NOT work on the Hall boards. These replacement springs need a length of 12.5 mm and an inner diameter of 5.0 mm.

Haha, you are very professional which is good.We are just having some fun with the thought of giving that rude customer the hardest springs that won't be too light for him.

Offline Data

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 12:32:50 »

300g anybody?

Offline zlittell

• My Projects
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:38:19 »

I echo the sentiment that the switches are light. I have the 70g, and it fells like a step lighter than any MX black I've ever typed on (aka distinctly NOT 70g). I assume this is because the nature of the switches are different. It would make logical sense that the weight of a spring would lead to a universal resistance across any medium, but this Hall Effect board is definitely proof that that is not true...

That's a great, objective viewpoint. As far as I know, after reliability, HE switches are all about smoothness. How much smoother can you get than simply having to move a magnet a few millimeters perpendicular to an electrical current?

To me, these switches's pressure falls between that of MX Reds and Blacks. They're light enough not to be fatiguing, but have enough resistance that you can type without slamming them down. If you find yourself bottoming out anyway, I suggest it's just a matter of practice, allowing yourself to type with less effort, just skimming across the keys.

Yes, you'll miss some characters in the process of learning to do it. But resist the temptation to whine. Like many things in life that take some effort, the benefits are worth the trouble.

I play five musical instruments, BTW—and I can tell you that learning to type lightly, without wasted effort or strain, was a lot easier to learn than any of them.  :?)

I am not sure I understand what you are talking about. *sips coffee after typing comment on fancy mechanical keyboard while surrounded by dolls with wigs made of human hair stolen from unknowing females and lipstick crudely applied to their cold plastic lips*

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:42:40 »
Anyone who announces they won't be checking future private messages checks their PMs more than the average user.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:48:28 »
Just got to put it out there. If anyone is unhappy with their board (to a reasonable extent), I'd be happy to purchase it off of you =).

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 16:17:25 »

Show Image

300g anybody?

We are gonna have to run a IC on behalf the passionate customer this post was made about. Then afterwards we can run Massdrop poll. I won't be joining though , 300g is too light for me...

Offline dante

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 10:10:40 »
DuckNorris: I have your spring right here:

http://imgur.com/gallery/LAvi3

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 12:20:21 »

Thank you, I can finally build my endgame now. 

Edit: Btw this gave me a good laugh this looks like an awesome troll project lol
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 March 2017, 14:57:00 by DuckNorris »

Offline kaotikb

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 17:42:00 »
I ordered the 104 key with 50g spring and i also found them very light. So i switched all of the springs to the 70g and also find them too light for me. After assembling the board back together 4 screws would not tighten down at all.  The usb port seems a little loose. Sometimes the keyboard does not work when my computer boots up and i have to unplug it and plug it back in.

Ducky 1087 (Green ALPS) |  CM QFR Stealth (MX Brown) | Unicomp Ultra Classic |Poker II (MX Brown)  | IBM 1391401 1991 | IBM 1391401 1989 | Ducky Shine 3 White Edition (MX Brown) | G80-3700(MX Black) | Corsair K70 (MX Brown) | Varmillo VA87MR (Gateron Red)

Pointing Devices:  Microsoft Trackball Optical (Ceramic bearings Installed)  | Sanwa MA-TB39BK (Larger Ceramic Bearings Installed) | Elecom M-XT2URBK | Kensington Slimblade | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Logitech Trackman Marble Plus

Offline dantan

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 01:18:51 »

Edit: Btw this gave me a good laugh this looks like an awesome troll project lol

Are you serious?

How did such a small and ordinary looking spring turn out to be a 700g spring?

Also how can you expect such a spring to be realistically usable in most situations? Even if it controls the power button, it will be very hard to press.

I know the reason for ducknorris posting this spring is to troll the fussy buyer, but I can't see any reason for a parts manufacturer to make such a spring. Not many keyboard manufacturers will pay for 700g spring I'd wager.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 05:52:05 »

Are you serious?

How did such a small and ordinary looking spring turn out to be a 700g spring?

Also how can you expect such a spring to be realistically usable in most situations? Even if it controls the power button, it will be very hard to press.

I know the reason for ducknorris posting this spring is to troll the fussy buyer, but I can't see any reason for a parts manufacturer to make such a spring. Not many keyboard manufacturers will pay for 700g spring I'd wager.

I believe the spring is out of a pencil or a pen or something.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline dantan

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 07:23:57 »
That's one strong spring. I had no idea we were pushing on such a weight when we clicked our pens.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 16:25:47 »
So you might finally wake up and behave in a professional, responsible manner towards your brethren.

LOLLL - "brethren".....too funny. This is starting to look more like a troll rather than a legit rage-fueled 13 year old mouth-breather on his mom's Amazon Fire Tablet.
lol right on, but why an Amazon Fire tablet specifically?  :D

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 18:56:08 »
So I don't get it - are people complaining the boards are too light at 50g? I mean - maybe I'm going nuts here, but I prefer 45g of force for most of my keyboards. What exactly is the problem people are experiencing at the moment?

For reference, I almost bought your board on massdrop when I saw it on the site. I instead settled for getting a Pok3r RGB, which I think was the board that really kicked me off into this "habit".

The keys actuate at 35g -- which works fine for me, but not for everyone.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|