Author Topic: CM NovaTouch TKL backlight mod, what do I need?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline HenrikErlandsson

CM NovaTouch TKL backlight mod, what do I need?
« on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 19:11:20 »
Probably I couldn't reasonably drill holes and insert LEDs for every key, so are there tiny led strips with the correct spacing that I could use?

I've swapped out the original keycaps for ones with ABS translucent lettering.

Just some lighting would be utilitarian in dark lighting, although I don't look at the keyboard while typing, I'd like to have it. Preferably white LEDs, since it looks the most stylish.

I'm just asking for some solutions you guys may have come across for your mods.

Also looking for 55g actuation rubber dome sheet replacement. I think I'd like it (I'm on 45g now). :)

Are these any good? Enter key doesn't look right.

This is ISO TKL now.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: CM NovaTouch TKL backlight mod, what do I need?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 19:48:37 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67360.0

and no those dome sheets on ebay are for different keyboards
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 March 2017, 19:58:04 by SpAmRaY »

Offline cutterline

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 20:51:57 »
If you want to use tiny led strips, change the plate to acrylic or poly carbonate. It'd be better to run it below the plate (maybe just stick it from below facing upward). Another alternative is get Realforce RGB housing as a donor if you still want the steel plate.

Changing rubber dome from 3rd party is not really advised if you're looking for Topre feel and getting sheet donor from realforce 55g board is expensive. The link you have over there is actually the exact part used by Chinese Topre Clones. Therefore, I'd suggest you to just buy TKL RGB Chinese Topre Clone like plum 87 and later change it to 55g rubber sheet. It's pretty much cheaper and faster solution.

Offline HenrikErlandsson

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 04:58:39 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67360.0

and no those dome sheets on ebay are for different keyboards
So it's been done before... I did search, you know. Although my Chinese googling is rusty, hahaha. Thanks for the links! :)

If you want to use tiny led strips, change the plate to acrylic or poly carbonate. It'd be better to run it below the plate (maybe just stick it from below facing upward). Another alternative is get Realforce RGB housing as a donor if you still want the steel plate.

Changing rubber dome from 3rd party is not really advised if you're looking for Topre feel and getting sheet donor from realforce 55g board is expensive. The link you have over there is actually the exact part used by Chinese Topre Clones. Therefore, I'd suggest you to just buy TKL RGB Chinese Topre Clone like plum 87 and later change it to 55g rubber sheet. It's pretty much cheaper and faster solution.
Yep, I found the Plum the other day. Gotta taste better than Apple ;) If only they made ISO... it's only cos of the split Return, the rest I can do without. And the sheets as I said don't look like ISO there, mine is a straight row of 3. So I doubt I can just swap the split one for an ISO Return key?

Swap the plate - to a translucent one to put the LED lighting behind. Because a LED strip would have some thickness to it at least. Right?

I was kind of hoping to get strips with the right spacing on a ribbon cable per row, flat enough to possibly just paint glue on it and paint on top. Dunno if that's been done and if it looks acceptable.

Realforce...housing? Not plate? Realforce is good but their housing is a bit too deep for my taste.

I'll google myself for plate+LEDs, if someone wants to share sources I'd welcome it :) (I guess ISO isn't the usual PITA for this, exact strips are not crucial and if it's plastic I could potentially make an exact enough cutout for the differing switch positions?)