Author Topic: Painting RedScarf III question  (Read 955 times)

Offline mankeroo

Painting RedScarf III question
« on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 10:51:43 »
I've got a RedScarf III kit on its way to me shortly. This will be my first kit that I'm assembling. When I ordered the kit, I got the black case option because I wasn't sure what caps I wanted to pair with it, and I wanted flexibility in that regard. However, as soon as Dasher was announced, I knew that's what I wanted on this board, so I got in on that drop.

My questions are:
  • What is the best way to turn the plastic from the RedScarf kit from black to a blue that would look nice with Dasher? Carefully masking and spray painting? Some other process entirely?
  • Should I do it before I assemble the board or can I go ahead and assemble it and use it while I wait a few months for Dasher to be delivered?
  • Depending on whatever process y'all recommend, any tips on finding the perfect blue/color?
  • Any tips in general for a first time assembler
Thanks!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Painting RedScarf III question
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 13:22:18 »
What is the best way to turn the plastic from the RedScarf kit from black to a blue that would look nice with Dasher? Carefully masking and spray painting? Some other process entirely?

masking and painting, but only if it's a plastic case

if it's alu it's a bit more complicated and i would say just suck it up and use whatever color you have

Should I do it before I assemble the board or can I go ahead and assemble it and use it while I wait a few months for Dasher to be delivered?

before would be easiest so you wouldn't have to take the PCB out

but it really doesn't matter

Depending on whatever process y'all recommend, any tips on finding the perfect blue/color?

god bless pantone

god bless paint chips

Any tips in general for a first time assembler

read my LZ build log thread, there's a link in my signature

building a keyboard is really easy, just make sure you do your reading
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mankeroo

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 17:47:49 »
Thanks for the reply! It's definitely aluminium. Guess I'll see how she looks with the caps before going down that road.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 17:53:24 »
then definitely don't paint it

aluminum is much better anodized

pay to have the board re anodized if you really think you need it, it'll look better
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90