Author Topic: Keyboard with feet on or not? Wrist rest or without?  (Read 7986 times)

Offline Pavilions

Keyboard with feet on or not? Wrist rest or without?
« on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 11:31:08 »
Do you like to use your keyboard with the feet on, or without the feet? You can mention if your keyboard has a high profile or low?

do you use a wrist rest?

Offline killyou

Re: Keyboard with feet on or not? Wrist rest or without?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 11:41:56 »
I don't like wrist rests, can't get used to them. I'm using Pok3r so I don't have any feet except for rubber pads. Simple and effective!

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 15:05:44 »
I prefer to use it with the legs down.  It feels more sturdy with the case supporting the board and I prefer the lower angle. 

My Leopold with the legs down has perhaps a 1 or 1.5 degree angle.  The Pok3r which has a fixed angle is maybe 3 or 4 degrees.  It makes a big difference in typing feel which I've only realized recently.  It is also much healthier for your wrists.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Pavilions

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 16:17:54 »
I prefer to use it with the legs down.  It feels more sturdy with the case supporting the board and I prefer the lower angle. 

My Leopold with the legs down has perhaps a 1 or 1.5 degree angle.  The Pok3r which has a fixed angle is maybe 3 or 4 degrees.  It makes a big difference in typing feel which I've only realized recently.  It is also much healthier for your wrists.

is it preferable for a high angle keyboard to use a wrist rest or not?

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 23:08:48 »
Yes and Yes, or No and No.

This is how I like it anyway.

I would rather have a wrist rest and feet kicked out, but if I have no wrist rest, then I drop the feet and lay it flat.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline rxc92

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 01:26:54 »
Wrist rests are counterproductive for your wrists, you end up just putting the pressure on your wrists instead of lifting your hands like you're supposed to. 

If you have em, use reverse tilt feet (they'd be on the front side of your keyboard), those are good for you. Definitely don't use regular (back of the board) feet, it forces you to bend your fingers at an unnatural angle and increases fatigue. Reverse tilt or nothing, no wrist rest.

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 03:50:14 »
At work : I use wrist rest on my Bépo Typematrix, big griffiti pad.
At home : I don’t have the same keyboard, just a lenovo thinkpad keyboard and I hate using it without the legs deployed. I can’t reach the top of the keyboard, I don’t feel good without. It’s strange.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 04:32:18 »
Never use a wrist wrest because I had proper typing posture drilled into me and you're really not supposed to be putting your wrists down in the first place.  In fact I kind of like relatively tall boards with no wrist rest because the temptation isn't even there.  You wouldn't even be able to reach the keys if you put your wrists down.

That said no matter how much you try to convince me that an angled board is somehow unnatural it feels like the most natural thing in the world to me.  Maybe I've just been typing that way too long but I also don't find anything remotely uncomfortable about it so I don't see why I should stop.  It's flat boards that feel weird to me...

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 15:49:31 »
Never use a wrist wrest because I had proper typing posture drilled into me and you're really not supposed to be putting your wrists down in the first place.  In fact I kind of like relatively tall boards with no wrist rest because the temptation isn't even there.  You wouldn't even be able to reach the keys if you put your wrists down.

That said no matter how much you try to convince me that an angled board is somehow unnatural it feels like the most natural thing in the world to me.  Maybe I've just been typing that way too long but I also don't find anything remotely uncomfortable about it so I don't see why I should stop.  It's flat boards that feel weird to me...
Any change feels awkward at first. I have bad carpal tunnel which induces numbness and pain in my fingers. By making several ergonomic adjustments I've improved my symptoms by 90 percent. Raise your chair as high as possible this will make flat more comfortable. With the right height and technique fatigue and pain go away and accuracy and speed improve.  My typing tests have gone from 55 -60 wpm to 70-75 or greater and I continue to improve  I can also type for longer sessions.

If the board is too high u compensate by raising the legs  try temporarily sitting on a phonebook or the like. Hurts ur asus but it's just an experiment. At the right height you won't have to rest your wrists and your shoulder err s won't fatigue.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 15:54:10 »
I typically use the keyboard flat with no wrist rest.

I do however use a wrist rest with my mouse.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline hikashi1988

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 21:39:47 »
keyboard without feet but with a towel to dampen the sound.
with wrist rest just to support the hand so that it is less fatigue on long hour coding / writing section.  :D

Offline Entropia

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 05:04:10 »
I use the feet of my Leopold. The angle is perfect. Wrist rests? Never!!!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 05:35:51 »
As low angle as possible (i.e. feet down). Resting my wrists on the large mousepad in front.

I have an old dislike for "wrist rests" because of crappy Microsoft keyboards I tried back in the late '90s: the wrist "rests" were too slanted to be able to rest my wrists on them: my wrists always slid off.
BTW, I use Cherry profile keycaps. I could use low-profile keyboards like this without wrist rests. If I had been using high-profile keycaps (SA or similar) then I would probably need a (proper flat wrist rest.

Back in the early-mid '90s when I used Amigas with built-in keyboards that did have a higher angle, I did use to flip the feet up on external keyboards when I had to use them.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 July 2018, 05:37:30 by Findecanor »

Offline daneb

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 06:15:40 »
1) Feet - No. I think it is very inconvenient for hand/arm muscles and stretches them uselessly, thus increasing risk of CTS (almost all articles about CTS recommend flat or even negative keyboard slope)

2) Wrist rest - Yes. Before I came back to historical keyboards/keyboards with higher body, I did not use wrist rest (I was using low-profile keyboards e.g. apple magic keyboard, where wrist rest is not necessary) After I did though and started to test mechanical keyboards including old ones, the inconvenience of typing position for my hands struck me immediately. The key level was suddenly too high above the desk.

I usually maintain proper "ergo" position of my hands with wrists floating freely above keyboard (not supporting them by rest or desk while writing) but yet still I needed to rest my wrists in between writings or sometimes I like to change my writing position due to monotony and resting wrists on a pad while writing. So I started to use wrist pad which I made myself from old piece of wood. I do not mind that it is hard, I like the touch feeling more than soft (silicone) one I owned historically. And it is also important to rest your hands on your "palm belly/thumb belly", never on the wrist itself (on tendons), otherwise you also risk CTS. I cannot imagine using higher-profile (or traditional) keyboards without wrist rest now.

Offline killyou

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 10:22:19 »
1) Feet - No. I think it is very inconvenient for hand/arm muscles and stretches them uselessly, thus increasing risk of CTS (almost all articles about CTS recommend flat or even negative keyboard slope)

2) Wrist rest - Yes. Before I came back to historical keyboards/keyboards with higher body, I did not use wrist rest (I was using low-profile keyboards e.g. apple magic keyboard, where wrist rest is not necessary) After I did though and started to test mechanical keyboards including old ones, the inconvenience of typing position for my hands struck me immediately. The key level was suddenly too high above the desk.

I usually maintain proper "ergo" position of my hands with wrists floating freely above keyboard (not supporting them by rest or desk while writing) but yet still I needed to rest my wrists in between writings or sometimes I like to change my writing position due to monotony and resting wrists on a pad while writing. So I started to use wrist pad which I made myself from old piece of wood. I do not mind that it is hard, I like the touch feeling more than soft (silicone) one I owned historically. And it is also important to rest your hands on your "palm belly/thumb belly", never on the wrist itself (on tendons), otherwise you also risk CTS. I cannot imagine using higher-profile (or traditional) keyboards without wrist rest now.

Is it really proper position to hover the hands over keyboard with no support for the wrists?

Offline daneb

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 12:15:27 »

Is it really proper position to hover the hands over keyboard with no support for the wrists?

I would say so. Many articles about ergonomics support this, e.g. https://www.daskeyboard.com/blog/desk-ergonomics-for-improved-posture-and-typing-speed/

("Avoid using a wrist rest or armrest while actively typing as this can cause the wrists to bend, placing unnecessary strain on them. ")

But as I said, I sometimes rest them during writing, just for changing position/reducing monotony which definitely also increase strain.

Offline Auslander

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 12:58:53 »
I use mine all flat with no wrist rest, i prefer boards with a lower angle.
HHKB JP | Realforce 104UB-DK | HHKB Pro 2

Offline atarione

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 21:39:42 »
feet up / wrest w/ my filco TKL.. I type slow as heck .. but whatever. I like feet and wrist wrest.

Offline syris226

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 21:44:01 »
I started using the Glorious PCMR wrist pad about a month ago because I was having some issues with my hands / wrists. It has helped a lot. Really, it has helped me to realize that I'm not supposed to be resting my wrists on anything while I type. I have no idea how I typed so awkwardly for so long. Anyway, I think that the pad does a nice job of keeping my hands in a proper position and giving me something to rest on when I'm gaming. Well worth it for me!  ;D

Offline Sgt_4Leaf

• Formerly Row009 and StarCraftII
  • I have hands
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 14:30:26 »
Feet up. Floating hands - no need for wrist rest anyway.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 12:08:29 »
No feet, no wrist rest. Ergonomically, my hands hurt far less doing this than trying to use either of those aids. The feet are more of relic from typewriters anyways. As people above said, negative incline is typically better for your hands.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline redleaf

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 15:48:24 »
No wrist rest and no feet

Offline MafiaButter

• "A child of the collosus of Armonk"
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 21:19:21 »
I've always been able to type significantly faster and more accurately with a flatter angle for whatever reason. Never used a wrist rest though, as I've never felt the need to.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 July 2018, 21:21:24 by MafiaButter »
u/Yeet9000 ~ r/mk | MafiaButter ~ Deskthority

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 10:28:22 »
I've always been able to type significantly faster and more accurately with a flatter angle for whatever reason. Never used a wrist rest though, as I've never felt the need to.

Probably because it's a more natural position for your hands.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 12:04:20 »
No feet and no wrist rest here.  I occasionally pull out the MS Ergo 4000 for its negative tilt.  Typing is ****e but the ergonomics is pleasant.
Hmm, I should try giving the MTek I have out at the moment a negative tilt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline RehnMan

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 12:48:00 »
No feet, no wrist rest. Come to think of it, hardly any of the keyboards I have even have feet to use.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 13:40:14 »
To even raise my keyboard, I'd have to completely disassemble it again and then screw the feet into the bottom case half.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 18:22:29 »
To even raise my keyboard, I'd have to completely disassemble it again and then screw the feet into the bottom case half.

First world problems.  :)
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline rxc92

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 21:47:23 »

First world problems.  :)

Or maybe he/she could just put something underneath the board. Gosh darn, how hard would that be?

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 06:12:33 »
I dont use wrist wrests as they put pressure on the wrong nerves even with proper use imo. no feet. Both encourage bad typing "posture" that leads to RSIs. Ask me how I know :(

But if you have bad technique to begin with your screwed anyways  :))

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 06:45:10 »
I tried a wrist rest but I just couldn't get my typing to flow while using it. So I stopped. :blank:

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 06:52:34 »
tried typing with my feet on the keyboard, did not work so well

Offline JianYang

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 07:45:29 »
I have been trying to figure out how it is possible to hover your hands over the keyboard for a day of typing without getting neck and back spasms?

Offline rxc92

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 10:08:30 »
I have been trying to figure out how it is possible to hover your hands over the keyboard for a day of typing without getting neck and back spasms?

Helps if you increase the height of your chair or lower your keyboard so it's under your natural wrist position. I've never had a problem, it's certainly less fatiguing than the alternative.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 10:37:56 »
Or maybe he/she could just put something underneath the board. Gosh darn, how hard would that be?

What exactly are you going to put under a keyboard to raise it that won't make it slide around? Anyways, I hate feet and will never be installing them onto my board.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 19:58:28 »

What exactly are you going to put under a keyboard to raise it that won't make it slide around? Anyways, I hate feet and will never be installing them onto my board.
A wrist rest.

I couldn't resist and it would work.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline ag36

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 20:51:46 »
I prefer the keyboard flat or negative angle without wrist rest. :)
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline JianYang

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 00:44:56 »

Helps if you increase the height of your chair or lower your keyboard so it's under your natural wrist position. I've never had a problem, it's certainly less fatiguing than the alternative.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that my ergonomics in terms of the heights are correct, but that does not reduce shoulder strain. Hovering hands do feel a lot better on my hands, but if I were to do that for more than an hour a day, I will end up in physiotherapy.

Offline firezlife

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 20:05:02 »
I go with back feet raised and wrist wrest :X

Offline rxc92

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 14:48:37 »
Yeah, I am pretty sure that my ergonomics in terms of the heights are correct, but that does not reduce shoulder strain. Hovering hands do feel a lot better on my hands, but if I were to do that for more than an hour a day, I will end up in physiotherapy.

Perhaps you have some sort of physical issue or are not doing it properly? I'm not sure, haven't heard of anyone who suffered from doing proper keyboarding..