Author Topic: [IC] Canvas: 65% Left Hand NumPad Keyboard (UPDATE:Order forms Up)  (Read 40222 times)

Offline Umio1

[IC] Canvas: 65% Left Hand NumPad Keyboard (UPDATE:Order forms Up)
« on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 16:09:12 »
    Introducing The Canvas 65% LHNP Keyboard

GROUP BUY PAGE OPEN: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105033.msg2873354#msg2873354
    ORDER FORMS ARE OPEN.

I started this project because I needed a keyboard to replace my worn out $5 Logitech keyboard, and I wanted something a little more practical for CAD work, but there weren't very many options on the market for keyboards with a left hand number pad; so I made my own. Some friends and coworkers took interest in the board so I'm here to see if others are interested as well to help get the price down below $150 by getting at least 25 people interested.

Details
    • 65% with Left Hand NumPad
    • Case Angle: 7 Degrees
    • Case Material: Anodized 60601-T6 Aluminum
    • USB-C
    • Dimensions (mm): 111 x 396 x 12 (LxWxH)
    • Hot Swap-able Switches (MX)
    • 2 Rubber Cone Feet
    • Mounting Method: 10 M2 x 6mm machine screws
    • Custom PCB
    • 1.5mm thick Plate
    • Price Goal of less than $150 with at least 25 people

Case and Plate Pictures

PCB Photos

Approximate Price Breakdown Based on 25 Orders. (USD)
    • Case Base: $64 (includes any color anodize)
    • Case Plate: $8 (includes any color anodize)
    • PCB Manufacturing: $10
    • PCB Assembly: ~$30 (this is a high estimate)
    • Kaihl Hot Swap Sockets: $10
    • 2Mx6mm Screws: $4
    • 4Mx4mm Screws: $5
    • Aluminum Cone Feet: $6
    Total: ~$137 + Shipping
    The case and plate can be anodized in any color, and is included in the price. I will contact 3DHubs for their definite color selection because the RAL colors they offer aren't accurate to what is actually received.
    The Kaihl Hot swap Sockets are the only piece that will need to be soldered onto the board once it is received.

If interested here is a Google form to collect number of interested people:
    https://forms.gle/tT7g8mUXrfB7ydQ87

IMGUR Build Album:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/UPyRTVN

Updates
    (12/29/19) - Google form added options for High profile, and other Key Layouts
    (1/20/20) - Work in Progress Renders for the High profile case:https://imgur.com/gallery/IfyFQLm
    • Case design set (based on mahjong tile)
    • Feet/back-design mounting method needs to be chosen
    • Center plate needs mounting holes & small fit changes to be made
    • Thinking about doing powdercoat for the high profile
    (2/17/20) - Case and PCB designs finalized---------- PICS OF THE CASE:https://imgur.com/gallery/ldWxSYE
    • PCB is completed and fully quoted ~ $25-30 for manufacturing and assembly
    • Case designs are both completed and ready to be quoted/put into production; I cannot get a good quote at the moment because of all the Corona Virus causing delays with all of Chinese manufacturing
    • Recently ran into a snag with the finishing process for the boards the place i was originally going to get powdercoat done had a fire so i'll have to check for other locations and get prices: here are colors im thinking of going with (the green, white and black are definites but the others are up in the air; going to offer 5 color options) https://imgur.com/bD4q3oN
    • Back Emblem will be mounted using VHB tape
    (3/1/20) - Going to start the group buy next weekend 3/7/20; all the final details will be on that post. I'll also try to have all the files put up on Github next weekend.
    50 Hi-Pro for the first round and going to get quotes to see how many I will do for the Low-pro
    (3/2/20) - All files uploaded to GitHub: https://github.com/Neil-de-grass-eating-Bisson/Canvas-Mahjong-Keyboards

(3/10/20) - Group buy and order forms are open: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105033.msg2873354#msg2873354
    [/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2020, 09:50:05 by Umio1 »

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
    Re: [IC] Canvas: 65% Left Hand NumPad Keyboard
    « Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 16:12:42 »
    Love the layout - would be interested in it if hi profile + soldered (more layouts).

Offline lukelex

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 16:52:52 »
    Like the idea but how's this a 65% though? Are TKL's gonna be called 60% with f-row and arrows now?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Dorihoile

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 17:21:40 »
    would love to see hight profile and ideally have the screws on the bottom so they arent visible from the top to keep a clean look, ideally also a standard bottom row, with either 2 1.25u keys and a blocker between them and the arrow keys or three 1u keys ideally the first option just to keep things more standard for more people and keep it cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing really love the look and layout tho and think it has a great potential :)

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 17:46:47 »
    would love to see hight profile and ideally have the screws on the bottom so they arent visible from the top to keep a clean look, ideally also a standard bottom row, with either 2 1.25u keys and a blocker between them and the arrow keys or three 1u keys ideally the first option just to keep things more standard for more people and keep it cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing really love the look and layout tho and think it has a great potential :)
    +1 to this (high profile, no screw, standard bottom row)

Offline honoka

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 17:50:12 »
    I don't have a board like this. Therefore I would like to have a board like this.
    Hotswap is a big plus, but if that is hindering the ability for more layout options, like the bottom row configuration for example, I would maybe drop it.

Also, ISO for hugs.

Edit:
    I cant explain it, but the mounting looks 'harsh'. If there is any room for rubber gaskets or at least rubber o-rings or something similiar at the mounting points that could improve typing feel and accoustics.
    « Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2019, 17:52:06 by honoka »

Offline Umio1

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 19:34:44 »
    Like the idea but how's this a 65% though? Are TKL's gonna be called 60% with f-row and arrows now?

I was under the assumption this is the only instance you call it 65% is with the left numpad; What else would you call it? 78%  :p?

Offline Umio1

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 19:48:23 »

I was actually thinking about making a high profile case soon, with screws on the back, and standard bottom row (I already have the CAD model and PCB ready to go for manufacturing) :P .

The only thing is, making a case high profile increases the cost to manufacture because there are more parts; this board is me trying to get it as low cost and utilitarian as possible, hence the "White Fox" style assembly.

I'll definitely add a standard layout to allow for more compatible keycapsets to this build if it gets to group buy stage.

If the highprofile option is preferred I will create a new IC for it!
    « Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2019, 19:49:57 by Umio1 »

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 20:46:41 »

I was actually thinking about making a high profile case soon, with screws on the back, and standard bottom row (I already have the CAD model and PCB ready to go for manufacturing) :P .
    Show Image

The only thing is, making a case high profile increases the cost to manufacture because there are more parts; this board is me trying to get it as low cost and utilitarian as possible, hence the "White Fox" style assembly.

I'll definitely add a standard layout to allow for more compatible keycapsets to this build if it gets to group buy stage.

Great news then! I like that look!
    Maybe offer it as an option if possible? The low price point is one of the main attraction indeed and as long as the high profile doesn't make it over $200, i think it's quite acceptable.

Two questions:
    • Assuming everything is smooth, when is the ETA?
    • What do you think (if possible) to change the logo blocker to the position above right arrow? I dont mind the logo, but personally, I rarely use that spot for my 65%

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 20:57:27 »
    Let's say I don't use the feet. 0° angle then?

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
    « Reply #10 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 20:58:49 »
    There are things I'd request that have already been raised (hi-profile without the feet) and some that haven't (0.25u to 0.5u gap between the numpad and the rest of the layout) but $150?? Color me interested.

Offline zakatak

• no cash
    « Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 21:14:21 »
    +1 for high profile! I like the blocker on the design as well. One thing i'd suggest is some space between the numpad and the rest. Pricing has me definitely interested.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 22:54:52 »
    Let's say I don't use the feet. 0° angle then?

Yep, the bottom is completely flat

Offline Umio1

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 23:56:38 »

Show Image

Great news then! I like that look!
    Maybe offer it as an option if possible? The low price point is one of the main attraction indeed and as long as the high profile doesn't make it over $200, i think it's quite acceptable.

Two questions:
    • Assuming everything is smooth, when is the ETA?
    • What do you think (if possible) to change the logo blocker to the position above right arrow? I dont mind the logo, but personally, I rarely use that spot for my 65%

I just whipped up some quick quotes for what I currently have for the high profile design and its coming together around $200 which is significantly cheaper than I thought it would be!

To answer your questions:
    If everything goes smooth I'd probably start a group buy middle of February to avoid the manufacturing delays and chaos around Chinese New Year, give that about a month, then i'd give manufacturing and shipping to people a conservative 2 months.

For the logo Block, I think it would look misplaced in that positions, but thats just my opinion. If enough people want it I don't see why I couldn't make the change.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
    « Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 00:26:33 »
    The hipro looks great!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 00:27:22 »
    25 spots for a 200$ hi-pro board is gonna last 10 seconds

Offline SleepIsAllINeed

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 00:58:23 »
    +1 for the hipro as well

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 01:44:50 »
    I just whipped up some quick quotes for what I currently have for the high profile design and its coming together around $200 which is significantly cheaper than I thought it would be!

To answer your questions:
    If everything goes smooth I'd probably start a group buy middle of February to avoid the manufacturing delays and chaos around Chinese New Year, give that about a month, then i'd give manufacturing and shipping to people a conservative 2 months.

For the logo Block, I think it would look misplaced in that positions, but thats just my opinion. If enough people want it I don't see why I couldn't make the change.
    February sounds nice and around $200 (hoping it'll be under) would be nice, just hoping that it won't be a limited GB though.
    pretty sure it can be quite popular.  ;D

as for the logo block, i'd understand. i just thought of something like Think 6.5 but smaller blocker (only occupies 1 key). it's very uncommon indeed and might be just me. i just like to have my DEL key right besides Backspace.
    anyway, i'm so excited for this, hopefully everything goes well! :thumb:

Offline lukelex

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 03:28:32 »

I was under the assumption this is the only instance you call it 65% is with the left numpad; What else would you call it? 78%  :p?
    78%. Not a bad idea. Better than the misleading 65%+numpad shenanigan.

If a newcomer is searching the forum for 65%, this one is definitely not what he'd be looking for (happened to me multiple times eons ago)

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 04:31:27 »
    I wanna carefully state my interest, but not for exactly the product as in the OP. First I'll state the (pretty different) option I'd love the most: High-Profile but where the angle is not machined into the case but still with detachable feet (because I would prefer 0° angle) and with splittable plus and backspace keys (which I think implies non-hotswap? Not sure about that.) as layout options. I'd also be kinda interested in the low profile version since the price seems really okay for that, but also not without layout options.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
    « Reply #20 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 04:38:37 »
    +1 for high profile! I like the blocker on the design as well. One thing i'd suggest is some space between the numpad and the rest. Pricing has me definitely interested.

+1 for space between numpad and the rest of the layout. I need to know when my leftside mods end and when my numbers begin without looking.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
    « Reply #21 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 06:32:39 »

Show Image

This looks great! Is the plate separate from the top/bottom (ideally top mount)? If it is, you can provide compatibility in a soldered PCB, and people can get a custom plate cut (providing you release a DXF file) to get anything that you don't want to include in a default plate (ISO for example).

I recommend something like this: KLE here

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
      • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
    « Reply #22 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 08:54:06 »
    If you can make this happen, I'm in.  Filled out the IC.  I'd also like to see the hipro version, and if you can provide a soldered PCB version as well that would be cake.  Either way, I'm in.  Lovely layout!
    Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
    « Reply #23 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 10:03:59 »
    Very happy to see another southpaw 65. It's become my favorite layout.

Numpad and arrow cluster division possibility are great. Not a fan of the content on the back, or upper right blocker of hipro. But I wish you the best on this one.
    « Last Edit: Mon, 30 December 2019, 11:25:47 by Koatl »
    ☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Umio1

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 12:16:45 »
    25 spots for a 200$ hi-pro board is gonna last 10 seconds

25 was the minimum haha, if it gets too crazy i'd probably do a couple runs.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 12:26:17 »
    Very happy to see another southpaw 65. It's become my favorite layout.

Numpad and arrow cluster division possibility are great. Not a fan of the content on the back, or upper right blocker of hipro. But I wish you the best on this one.

The back engraving was done just for my personal board and wouldn't be on any others. Though I am planning on using the upper blocker logo.

Offline Koatl

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 13:26:21 »
    The back engraving was done just for my personal board and wouldn't be on any others. Though I am planning on using the upper blocker logo.

Oh thanks! In that case went ahead and filled out form. Interested in lowpro with a nice blank back. I myself would be getting a black case one way or another, with either a cyan or pink plate.
    ☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Snakeboat

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 18:40:01 »
    Very keen on this, great layout! Please don't add space between the numpad, I would go in on either case options and would prefer non hotswap.

Offline Alex-CS

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 14:57:35 »
    I love this layout, especially with a gap next to the numpad and arrow keys, it's exactly what I've been looking for! High profile would be nice, mostly for the extra weight, but I probably wouldn't get it for more than $200.

PS. The title is fine, "65% + Left NumPad" perfectly describes this keyboard :thumb:

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 14:15:34 »
    Loving this! Would love the option for reverse Numpad. Either way for the price point I'd jump on this in a heartbeat.
    Keep it up!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Umio1

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 18:28:18 »
    Loving this! Would love the option for reverse Numpad. Either way for the price point I'd jump on this in a heartbeat.
    Keep it up!

when you say reverse numpad, you mean with the + and Enter key on the other side and number order reversed?

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 18:32:41 »
    Keep it up!

when you say reverse numpad, you mean with the + and Enter key on the other side and number order reversed?
    Yessir! Reversed/mirrored. The whole Numpad is mirrored. 123 becomes 321. 456 - 654 and so on. I've never used it, but the muscle memory (fingering on the keys; pinky on +,- and enter, thumb for 2u 0, index on 1)

Probably not possible in hotswap though if you only want one PCB.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 20:02:46 »
    Only because people are leaving responses in the form about not being sure about the Tan Cerakote; you would be able to get any color on this chart on top of any anodize color:

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    « Reply #33 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 20:17:35 »
    Is it possible to get it in raw uncoated finish, for those of us that do their own coating?  Just curious if that's a possibility.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 08:59:10 »
    Is it possible to get it in raw uncoated finish, for those of us that do their own coating?  Just curious if that's a possibility.

Yeah that will be possible!
    When you say raw unfinished I assume you'd still want it machined smooth/bead blasted; I have also heard a clear anodize is a good base for painting or adding other finishes.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    « Reply #35 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 09:04:45 »
    Yeah that will be possible!
    When you say raw unfinished I assume you'd still want it machined smooth/bead blasted; I have also heard a clear anodize is a good base for painting or adding other finishes.

Nice!  Thanks for that. 

Yes, machined smooth and/or mediablasted is great.  Basically, just taken off production line just prior to coating or anodizing. 

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 09:47:57 »
    Oooh for that price, I'm definitely interested. QMK compatible?

Offline sandvichs

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 10:42:53 »
    Awfully strange to call this a 65% when it's essentially an F Row-less 95% (85% then? idk).

Great price for a hotswap kit though. Won't be joining personally but GL with this project!

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 14:48:00 »
    Awfully strange to call this a 65% when it's essentially an F Row-less 95%.
    Awfully strange to call this a 95% when it's essentially a numpad-added 65%  :eek: :thumb:

Offline trojokid5

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 00:42:43 »
    I'm wondering when how heavy it is fully built, could it be made heavier(depending on what you say), and when could it be purchased.

Offline Umio1

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 12:31:25 »
    I'm wondering when how heavy it is fully built, could it be made heavier(depending on what you say), and when could it be purchased.

It's about 1Lb for the switch plate and case, and about 1.5~1.8Lbs fully constructed. Planning on doing the group buy at the end of February so Chinese New Year doesn't affect the production.

Offline trojokid5

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 13:25:32 »

It's about 1Lb for the switch plate and case, and about 1.5~1.8Lbs fully constructed. Planning on doing the group buy at the end of February so Chinese New Year doesn't affect the production.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Umio1

UPDATE
    (1/20/20) - Work in Progress Renders for the High profile case: https://imgur.com/gallery/IfyFQLm
    • Case design set with 4mm break between numpad and keys; a more normal key layout(based on mahjong tile)
    • Feet/back-design mounting method needs to be chosen
    • Center plate needs mounting holes & small fit changes to be made
    • Thinking about doing powdercoat for the high profile
    • no more keyblocker in the corner
    « Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2020, 01:44:45 by Umio1 »

Offline stoffelduss

Looks great!! Will it stay the way you said earlier, that you need to solder hot-swap sockets onto the pcb? :/

Offline Umio1

Looks great!! Will it stay the way you said earlier, that you need to solder hot-swap sockets onto the pcb? :/

Most likely yes; that will be the only part of the board you would have to solder. I could check if they are able to source the parts and assemble them but that may be unlikely.

Offline Koatl

Loving the new high-pro look. Definitely switching my interest from low to high now.

I'm curious if the lotus weight on the back is going to increase cost/production/etc. I loved the simplicity of a blank back panel.
    ☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Umio1

Loving the new high-pro look. Definitely switching my interest from low to high now.

I'm curious if the lotus weight on the back is going to increase cost/production/etc. I loved the simplicity of a blank back panel.

I'm trying to maintain the cost of the high profile to around ~$200. The lotus on the back shouldn't affect the price too much, last time I checked it cost about ~$15 to produce 25 of them; though I have noticed raw material prices have been fluctuating month to month depending on what's going on politically.

Offline JayVoltage

The hi-pro makes me fully on board.  Good luck with everything!

Offline Frolos

Would you be open to share the PCB design with us? Cool to see that there are more people who want this layout but i would like to design my own case around this layout.

Offline Umio1

Would you be open to share the PCB design with us? Cool to see that there are more people who want this layout but i would like to design my own case around this layout.

That's the plan; i'll be making all of the files open source, I just need to finish up the newer layout's I've created and remove old components from the schematics. They'll probably be all released once the group buy is over.