Author Topic: Why can I only tune keyboards for clacky sounds?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
Why can I only tune keyboards for clacky sounds?
« on: Fri, 02 December 2022, 14:16:59 »
So I decided to get back into the hobby after about 5 years, and after seeing all the new board designs, mods, and whatnot, I decided to try out some of it. I just got a Brutal60 in, and overall I really like the board and having something that isn't tray mount is pretty cool.

I used to mess around with tuning keyboard sounds back in the day, just with basic case foam before it was a common thing, however it didn't particularly change the character of the sound, just sort of dampening empty case noise (pretty obvious I know, this is kinda hard to explain). I have some Gon Nerds, and the two of them (V1 zeals and Gateron reds) sound pretty clacky, I also have a Pok3r with cherry clears, which sounds super thocky (with no mods). Because of this, I figured it was mostly an inherent matter of plate and case construction/material. All three boards have alu plates, but the pok3r's is much thicker, which is what I previously attributed the sound difference to.

However, I found a video showing a keyboard could be tuned either way depending on dampening, caps, etc. I've tried about every combination of foam, tape, keycaps, etc, but no matter what, the Brutal60 will only sound clacky. Am I doing something wrong here, or are some boards just destined to have a limited sound profile? I would love to get it to sound a little different from the boards I already have, whether it's more thocky or creamy, but I'm not sure it's possible, if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated. Seems like most of the advice I can find around tuning just revolves around keycaps, foam, and masking tape, but if anyone has any other tips I'd so appreciate them.

For context, the board has an FR4 plate, instant60 pcb with poron switch pads, gateron black inks.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Why can I only tune keyboards for clacky sounds?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 December 2022, 21:48:57 »
Switches also play a role in sound.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Why can I only tune keyboards for clacky sounds?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 December 2022, 13:48:41 »
This can be a very deep rabbit hole depending how anal you are about this stuff.
As above, switches also matter (including material), but so does now they're mounted, how the plate is mounted, the case material, case shape and even the surface finish of the plate and case, different finishes reflect sound differently.

The thing to remember though is that all of this is extremely subtle.
If you have loud clacky switches being reflected by a harsh sounding case or plate, there's no hiding that. You can dampen and tweak the sound a bit but you aren't going to make drastic changes.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion